AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Cables Galore (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   The Whole Thing Is A Fraud: High-End Cables (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=40140)

SCAudiophile 08-03-2017 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2fastdriving (Post 859679)
I think both can be true : cables can make a difference AND they are a way overpriced. For example, most cable companies have product lines which double in price as you go up. There is no possible way that they really cost twice as much to make. It's all gouging. And unfortunately we pay it. I'm guilty.

But when you have a highly resolving system there is no doubt that there is a difference. Especially when you are talking about the whole "loom".

+1 !

phishphan 08-03-2017 11:10 PM

The Whole Thing Is A Fraud: High-End Cables

Like anything in this hobby there is the rule of diminishing returns. Do cables make a difference? Without question. Are the MIT cables Ivan was playing with that are 30k better than Wireworld Silver eclipse? I’m sure they are, but most likely not worth 10x the cost.

I switched from “better cables” brand speaker wires, to wireworld silver eclipse and there was a very noticeable difference. When my kids and wife, who seldom know I’m making a change comment on the sound, I know it’s not all in my head.

Masterlu 08-03-2017 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phishphan (Post 859696)
Like anything in this hobby there is the rule of diminishing returns. Do cables make a difference? Without question. Are the MIT cables Ivan was playing with that are 30k better than Wireworld Silver eclipse? I’m sure they are, but most likely not worth 10x the cost.

I switched from “better cables” brand speaker wires, to wireworld silver eclipse and there was a very noticeable difference. When my kids and wife, who seldom know I’m making a change comment on the sound, I know it’s not all in my head.

I actually wound up returning the MIT's as we all agreed the WW Platinum's sounded better to our ears.

phishphan 08-03-2017 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 859699)
I actually wound up returning the MIT's as we all agreed the WW Platinum's sounded better to our ears.

With the really high-end gear we all buy diminishing returns kick in. But to call wires a fraud is a pretty bold statement by the Op.

When I upgraded to WW silvers my wife noticed a big difference. And I got a similar reaction to the stillpoints. ... but maybe to Op thinks those are a fraud too [emoji849]

Masterlu 08-03-2017 11:33 PM

Watch out for the sign post up ahead, you are entering the "Cable Zone"

https://goodpsychology.files.wordpre...sis-spiral.gif

:lmao:

JBT 08-03-2017 11:43 PM

Well I've gone from the very expensive Nordost Valhalla analogue and digital interconnects to the moderately priced Kimber Kable interconnects and no one could hear. a lick of difference.

Switched back and forth 3 times. Just saying.

metaphacts 08-03-2017 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBT (Post 859640)
The success of the audiophile wire industry is based entirely on the utter ignorance of the market...

Actually if this is the thesis one can simply ignore the rest.

Regardless of your opinion of cables, if there is one thing the audiophile wire industry is tapped into, it is the market. In fact the "entire cables are a scam" crowd constantly well overestimates their understanding of the market.

Alki 08-04-2017 01:12 AM

Round and round we go................. AGAIN. Not sure why people continue to debate this. The right answer is what ever the individual spending the money, or not spending the money, thinks it is.

vegaracer1 08-04-2017 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alki (Post 859724)
Round and round we go................. AGAIN. Not sure why people continue to debate this. The right answer is what ever the individual spending the money, or not spending the money, thinks it is.

Amen

Audioraven 08-04-2017 04:26 AM

Cable haters love to :stirthepot: and also love :beatinghorse:. We should all just enjoy the :music:.