AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Cables Galore (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   The Whole Thing Is A Fraud: High-End Cables (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=40140)

metaphacts 08-06-2017 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2fastdriving (Post 860284)
Wood networks? Anyway, I agree with much of what you have said but networks don't roll off highs. Not that I can hear, anyway.

They certainly can though. Can't everyone hear a 1MHz rolloff? :rofl2:

Family Progtitioner 08-06-2017 04:43 PM

Not that anyone cares, but my take on analog cables (don't get me started on digital). Cables, as passive devices, can't add anything to the signal. So, the best one can do is lose no information which I don't think takes that much to accomplish.

I guess the other thing cables shouldn't do is pick up stray noise which would have to be in a horrendous listening environment. Again, I don't think very difficult to achieve with halfway decent shielding. If there is info "revealed", it's likely well below anyone's capability to hear it, much less the demographic on this forum.

PC, digital IC I think are all total baloney, IMO. No one's hurting anyone else with cables except their own wallets I guess, so go for it. I'm just not diving down that rabbit hole.

Cohibaman 08-06-2017 04:55 PM

https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~jcgl/S...Java/twin.html

rnrmf1971 08-06-2017 04:56 PM

i have a question for the people that don't believe the hype about cables.

Do people that hold those opinions feel that different gauges of cable, otherwise identical in construction can or should sound different?

How about cables of different metallurgy but otherwise identical construction?

Still-One 08-06-2017 05:31 PM

Why do people switch cartridges?
Why do people swap tubes?
Why do pick amplifier A over B?
Why do people play more digital than analog or visa versa?
Why do some individuals use tone controls?
Why do some individuals like planer speaker while other prefer point source or horns?

Because their preference gets them closer to the sound they want to hear!

If it doesn't get you closer to the sound you are looking for, why change? If it does and it fits within your budget, why wouldn't you change. Cables and Power cords are no different from any other component. The last thing I want to purchase is something that doesn't change the sound to get closer to what I want to hear.

I am sure that some interconnects and power cords sound the same.

I am also positive that some interconnects and PC's get me closer to the sound I am looking for.

Masterlu 08-06-2017 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rnrmf1971 (Post 860306)
i have a question for the people that don't believe the hype about cables.

Do people that hold those opinions feel that different gauges of cable, otherwise identical in construction can or should sound different?

How about cables of different metallurgy but otherwise identical construction?

Way too complicated for Sunday @ 5:30 after some adult beverages. :D

http://www.personal.psu.edu/afr3/blo...rainfreeze.jpg

W9TR 08-06-2017 06:46 PM

Quote:

They certainly can though. Can't everyone hear a 1MHz rolloff?
You dog might prefer this cable. Damps out some of the ultrasonics. :)

It could even make a measurable difference if you used it with electrostatics like ML's.

vintage_tube 08-06-2017 07:11 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2fastdriving (Post 860284)
Wood networks?

IMO this qualifies as a wood network -- inside are thousands of small carbon nanotubes in the tube block (CNT).

These were designed by Jack Bybee and in association with Intuitive Designs. (Dale Pitcher).

I current use one for the RCA between the Transport & Upsampler; but gets very little use as I use Vivaldi mode which bypasses the Upsampler.

Best Sirs,

Bob

Mikado463 08-06-2017 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still-One (Post 860309)
Why do people switch cartridges?
Why do people swap tubes?
Why do pick amplifier A over B?
Why do people play more digital than analog or visa versa?
Why do some individuals use tone controls?
Why do some individuals like planer speaker while other prefer point source or horns?

Because their preference gets them closer to the sound they want to hear!

If it doesn't get you closer to the sound you are looking for, why change? If it does and it fits within your budget, why wouldn't you change. Cables and Power cords are no different from any other component. The last thing I want to purchase is something that doesn't change the sound to get closer to what I want to hear.

I am sure that some interconnects and power cords sound the same.

I am also positive that some interconnects and PC's get me closer to the sound I am looking for.

Jim, while I won't disagree with you on what you have stated, don't think for one moment that there is a certain faction of so called audiophiles out there that are swayed by written hype both in magazine and internet forums so as they can 'talk the talk and walk the walk'.

I would assume no one on this forum falls into that category though........

doggiehowser 08-06-2017 11:15 PM

What you are paying for isnt strictly speaking just the cost of the cables.

Even my friend who builds his own cables has realised this.

He's spent months working on prototypes - fine tuning them by hand to get the sound just right.

Modify

Running the cables in

Listen

Make changes

Rinse repeat.

I've seen some of his secret sauce modifications to correct the problems he hears. And they are tedious.

In the end he's gone through a fair bit of money on the prototypes. Not to mention his time.

As to whether you can hear a difference - that's really up to you the listener.

Watch this documentary by Dr David Eagleman. It's amazing how well our brain works. The ear is an active sensor. It's not a passive device like a microphone - and the brain continually tunes it and performs its own filtering. So I can't say for certain if you can hear a difference or not.

Only that I have heard differences and I have paid within reason for cables that I feel are within my budget and with improvements to me.

And it's not always the more expensive cable that wins. I've compared some pricier cables to the ones my friend made and ended up preferring his.