AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Inspire by Dennis Had (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=184)
-   -   Dennis Had Inspire Amps (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=24170)

nhparrot 01-16-2016 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ismelllikepoop (Post 753521)
dumb question but how do the 6v6 offerings differ from the kt88 as far as hardware goes?

According to Dennis, "in simplistic terms this new "fire-bottle" 6V6 amplifier is truly idealized for a 6V6 or a 6L6 (or variants like a KT66, 5881 etc)." In those amps he is using different output transformers idealized for pentode SE operation, different bias, and a regulated 240 VDC on the screen grid of the output 6V6 tubes.

pstrisik 01-16-2016 05:54 PM

Hey Gang,

I'd like to share with you my just completed speaker cable project. On the amateur end of things, but I'm nevertheless proud of them.

They are based on the review of cables made from vintage Western Electric wire by Jeff Day on his blog: h t t p://jeffsplace.me/wordpress/?p=7469&cpage=1. Jeff used to review for 6 Moons and now is with Positive Feedback. Seemed like it was worth giving it a try for something unique and vintage. From all reviews and comments, it doesn't look like I could make anything worth making for less money. Cost about $150 for all the materials for this 14' pair. The only difference is that I used WE11GA instead of WE16GA for the extra gauge. Same everything, but has more strands of the tinned copper than the 16GA.

Here's a photo of the raw WE11GA:

http://i.imgur.com/NJLDgll.jpg

And here is a finished cable - kept with the red theme given my red Inspire. The connectors are locking bananas from Blue Jeans:

http://i.imgur.com/WdHYk8r.jpg

I have Pandora playing for the day and will give a listen tonight.

I also have materials to make a set of interconnects with the Belden microphone cable he recommends. Both of these ideas were given to him by the Japanese audiophile shown in the blog. The interconnects will be a bit more of a project given the number of them. They will have a medium purple techflex. :thumbsup:

SteveSem 01-16-2016 06:22 PM

Peter,

Very interesting. I love the idea of using old wire. Keep us posted on the interconnect project.

The blog indicates that the Western Electric wire is no longer made. Can you say where you found it?

Steve

pstrisik 01-16-2016 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveSem (Post 753578)
Peter,

Very interesting. I love the idea of using old wire. Keep us posted on the interconnect project.

The blog indicates that the Western Electric wire is no longer made. Can you say where you found it?

Steve

Sure Steve, ebay (where else!). Since his blog though, much of it is gone. There is lots of various WE wire, but not much of this type.

jscottyk 01-17-2016 01:38 PM

I just got word on Friday that my Omega Super 3i speakers are shipping! Needless to say, I'm excited to try these with my Firebottle KT88. :banana:

BearCityUSA 01-17-2016 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FloridaBoy (Post 753262)
The Psvanes need a lot of hours. The 300 they suggest is correct.

I got to about 200 hours before trying something different. They would have had to improve dramatically to have been a keeper. I did not have the patience. I also wondered if these 300 hrs prediction may have been in a hard driven push pull application and I may never have gotten there with an Inspire. Such is life.

BearCityUSA 01-17-2016 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pstrisik (Post 753572)
Hey Gang, I'd like to share with you my just completed speaker cable project.

I built a pair of U-byte-2, 2m pair recently. I had debated a WE cable build but ended up doing these instead. They turned out well. Very similar to some Audioquest I was moving elsewhere. I am interested to hear your results. Cables can be tedious but fun.

Simonatsea 01-18-2016 02:31 AM

Just throwing it out there, anyone with Inspires with the metallic Orange finish. Here is a pretty good deal on speakers that may match in more ways than just colour! Oh and those are Canadian dollars..... Cheap thrills

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/detai...a-kind-finish/

Musica Amantem 01-18-2016 08:36 AM

Just a note on my tube-rolling confirmation round-up. I'm convinced now that in my system (KT88 SET), to my ears, the 5Z4 rectifier (Brimar) is good for all the output tubes I have (except for the 6AR6 which I have not tried again yet). Also, a close second is the 5Z3 (5U4G), and the 5Z4 and 5AR4 are both as good with my GL KT88's.

FloridaBoy 01-18-2016 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Musica Amantem (Post 753263)
I believe a good KT88 is better than an ordinary 6V6 GT (my own experience), even in this amp. Of course, when a really good 6V6 GT is popped-in (RCA's in my case), it would take the best KT88 to get close. That special KT88 would bring the best of both types in my book, as I really appreciate the fullness of the KT88 sound.
Finding out which KT88 (or KT66, KT77) would do the job is my quest. As these are likely to be relatively expensive, though, it does not allow for trial-and-error, so searching for personal experiences may narrow the gap and improve the odds to nail this.

Now, as FB said, three hundred hours is a lot of burn-in time, which complicates matters even further (these represent about 25 weekends of listening in my case, requiring much patience!).

Sounds like the KT88 is your preferred tube. What is the best one? No one can answer that but you. Given that your DAC is ultra resolving I don't think you want an very analytical tube...like the Russian 6P3S-E unless you use a warm sounding 6SN7. Try that tube with the Australian Mullard 6SN7 I sent you and see what you think. The GL KT88's you have may be 'it' or very close. These amps are excellent and tube preference will depend on the individual system.