AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Headphones, Personal Listening Gear (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   Onkyo DP-X1 Portable Hi-Res Music Player (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=36355)

Weirdcuba 09-19-2016 09:45 PM

Arrived today, but now I go on the road for several days. I'll take it with me and see how it goes. I've got tidal and about 20 albums on it, so we'll see how it goes. Easy to set up and much better form factor than I expected.

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado

robfine 11-27-2016 09:32 PM

Now that you've had the Onkyo for a bit, what are your thoughts?

Weirdcuba 11-27-2016 10:13 PM

Glad you asked, as I had planned to write this up, but other audio things got in the way.

Short answer - I love it and it does exactly what I wanted. I find the SQ to be much better than my iPhone (since I use them on the road, that's my primary comparison). I also have the pono, but gave up on it a long time ago, mostly due to the form factor and rudimentary interface (imho).

First, it's an android phone without the phone. So, everything you can do with apps on an android, you can do on this device (like read email and AA, etc). I also have an fm addiction and have favorite stations, and I've downloaded the app for that (and several other favorite apps).

Then, it's a great player. The onkyo app does very well. I've now got loads of lossless files on it and have also integrated it with tidal. I haven't used the EQ very much, but it's there - should you so desire. Sounds terrific and hands down better than my unadulterated phone.

I pair it with my westone W50s in quiet listening (i.e. Hotel rooms and airports on layovers). I also pair it with the Bose QC20s when on the plane (which are the best noise cancelling IEMs I've found (consistent with the reviews I've read)). I just got tired of lugging around headphones for the plane and the qc20s do a serviceable job of noise cancellation without the heft. I haven't tried it with balanced cables out to a good pair of phones yet, but I have spied the cables I'd like when ready to drop the $$. The IEMs sound so good though that I haven't felt a pressing need to do so (yet).

It is a sharp rectangle though - I had to add the leather case as it was just sort of uncomfortable due to the sharp edges. It won't win any second looks from Jonathan I've, but it's nice nonetheless. I LOVE the volume knob - so analog and easy to manipulate. It's a bit big/heavy for a shirt or jacket pocket, but that's fine for me in the way I use it.

It holds two huge storage cards (forget the exact size) - you could put a boatload of music on there. The battery is not great though - does fine for several hours, but if you don't turn it OFF, it won't sleep through the night without exhausting the batteries - which is kind of annoying.

So, for road warriors or those that obsess about these things (of which I am a bit of both), it's highly recommended.

Weirdcuba 02-24-2017 01:25 PM

Added a black dragon balanced cable to the Onkyo (to my westone W50s) and it really helped the sound, really, really helped the sound. No surprise that the balanced cable helped, but it was a great improvement. That system is now pretty darn good for hotel rooms (still use the bose QC 20s on the plane for noise cancellation, which work great).

djwhog 02-24-2017 08:20 PM

I run a black dragon cable from the itouch to my oppo portable dac amp and run the only one app as I previously stated

I can hear a large improvement with the dragon over a stock Apple cable. Glad your liking your setup to sounds great.

robfine 04-09-2017 12:58 PM

I am looking to get a case for my DP-X1 for carrying around. I've seen, but not held the Onkyo OEM case as well as some running over $100 online (the price doesn't bother me). It's more important that it is durable, usable (can easily access all the controls), is not crazy bulky and relatively easy to hold in my hand. Any recommendations?

Thanks

Weirdcuba 04-09-2017 03:01 PM

I got the one from Japan I. Leather that was about $100. Nearly necessary given the sharp edges of the unit. The

ktliao88 09-13-2017 10:11 AM

I purchased my DP-X1a and Shure SE-846 in Japan.
They are my best travel companions.

Weirdcuba 09-13-2017 06:34 PM

Yep, and now that my power has been out for nearly three days, they have provided my sole source of audio during the evenings.

ktliao88 09-13-2017 10:43 PM

I purchased my DP-X1a at Yodobashi, Shinjuku branch.
When I went back to hotel I found something wrong on the screen.
So next day I had to go back to Yodobashi to get a replacement.

I strongly suggest inspecting the quality at the store. The first time turn on will take about 10 min. So please be patient.