AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   CD Players, Digital Music & Servers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Bang for the Buck - Aurender or Lumin (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=46090)

howiebrou 06-22-2019 12:05 AM

Bang for the Buck - Aurender or Lumin

I have a CH Precision C1 dac (without USB input at the moment but this could be rectified). Which brand and model would you recommend to get the best sound out into the DAC? I was almost ready to buy the Lumin U1 but then looked into Aurender and they look pretty good! Not cheap though!

Thanks

Howie

JemHadar 06-22-2019 03:46 AM

Bang for the Buck - Aurender or Lumin

Howie...great to see you post again. (You have been missed)

Are you planning to use Roon in the near or distant future ?
If so, know that the Aurender is not Roon ready.

Another spec to consider is wireless capability.

In my use case I required wifi and AES/EBU XLR.
That basically limited my choices to the Auralic Aries G1 and G2.
(Lumin U1 and dCS Network Bridge don’t offer wifi)

I opted for the G2 and am very impressed with its performance and value.

1KW 06-22-2019 06:54 AM

Welcome back Howie. I had a Aurender music server, sound quality is excellent, conductor app. is adequate but I prefer Roon myself. I sold the Aurender and am using a Mac mini for the moment with a lifetime Roon subscription. Both your options are good. With Roon I find my listening sessions are longer , fantastic way to find new music.

gadawg 06-22-2019 10:42 AM

I like the Roon app a lot but when I used it with either windows or mac in my system the Aurender sounded better than a pc. The conductor app can't be compared to Roon for user experience for sure but to me the listening experience is better with Aurender than pc even with Roon. Just my 2c and others will certainly feel differently.

George

howiebrou 06-22-2019 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jem666 (Post 969601)
Howie...great to see you post again. (You have been missed)

Are you planning to use Roon in the near or distant future ?
If so, know that the Aurender is not Roon ready.

Another spec to consider is wireless capability.

In my use case I required wifi and AES/EBU XLR.
That basically limited my choices to the Auralic Aries G1 and G2.
(Lumin U1 and dCS Network Bridge don’t offer wifi)

I opted for the G2 and am very impressed with its performance and value.

Thanks for the welcome back!

WiFi is no go. At home my internet speed is 8mbps:grumpy:

I think Roon would be nice in the future but i don’t necessarily need it right away. To be honest as long as the GUI is good and it works I’m happy!

howiebrou 06-22-2019 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1KW (Post 969605)
Welcome back Howie. I had a Aurender music server, sound quality is excellent, conductor app. is adequate but I prefer Roon myself. I sold the Aurender and am using a Mac mini for the moment with a lifetime Roon subscription. Both your options are good. With Roon I find my listening sessions are longer , fantastic way to find new music.

You make some good points. That’s partly why i like the Lumin U1 because it can use Roon and can output into my CH dac. Seems the cheapest and easiest way to go?

howiebrou 06-22-2019 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gadawg (Post 969611)
I like the Roon app a lot but when I used it with either windows or mac in my system the Aurender sounded better than a pc. The conductor app can't be compared to Roon for user experience for sure but to me the listening experience is better with Aurender than pc even with Roon. Just my 2c and others will certainly feel differently.

George

As an Aurender user, would you consider an all in one model with DACs? I notice you use an Esoteric Dac for your Aurender?

gadawg 06-22-2019 11:56 AM

I personally would not currently consider an all in one unit as I’ve never heard one that can even compare to the top dacs in the market be it Esoteric, DCS,MSB or others. To be clear I’m talking about these guys top units as well. In the future that could always change.

George

Projectman 06-22-2019 06:26 PM

I have owned the Aurender N100, N10, and now the Lumin U1. I rate the Lumin highest in sound quality in my system and prefer it over the Aurenders I tried.

Antonmb 06-22-2019 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gadawg (Post 969631)
I personally would not currently consider an all in one unit as I’ve never heard one that can even compare to the top dacs in the market be it Esoteric, DCS,MSB or others. To be clear I’m talking about these guys top units as well. In the future that could always change.

George

The Linn Klimax Katalyst competes.