AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Wilson Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Sasha's And Resistors (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=20309)

allen_bh 04-01-2013 07:45 PM

Sasha's And Resistors

Does anyone know if it's recommended to replace the resistors on Sasha's after a certain amount of hours of play or age? Anyone replaced theirs and observed any significant changes in sound?

Coppy 04-02-2013 04:16 PM

Can't imagine resistors will need replacement for many years, if at all. They don't wear out, maybe burn out and I don't want to think about that, but not wear out. Suggest you call Wilson...

Bob

Still-One 04-02-2013 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coppy (Post 472012)
Can't imagine resistors will need replacement for many years, if at all. They don't wear out, maybe burn out and I don't want to think about that, but not wear out. Suggest you call Wilson...

Bob

Bob
It doesn't make sense to me that they would wear out, but when Wilson Factory re- certifies a pair of speakers, my understanding is that all resistors are either replaced or at least checked during the process.

Face 04-02-2013 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coppy (Post 472012)

Bob

They would only wear out if they're too low of a wattage rating or the end user listens at very loud SPLs for prolonged periods of time.

allen_bh 04-03-2013 01:45 AM

My dealer told me they put in new resistors on all the demos and "recertified" Wilsons. He stated it just brings them back up to spec and they sound cleaner, crisper. If it obviously makes a difference after a few years of use, why not?

Debbie, Care to take a swat at this one??

Lildebs888 04-03-2013 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allen_bh (Post 472389)
My dealer told me they put in new resistors on all the demos and "recertified" Wilsons. He stated it just brings them back up to spec and they sound cleaner, crisper. If it obviously makes a difference after a few years of use, why not?

Debbie, Care to take a swat at this one??

I personally like to change out resistors every 6 months to a year. I find it refreshes the sound.

I look at changing resistors like one would when changing out spark plugs in a car.

Lildebs888 04-03-2013 10:13 PM

FYI - my hubby likes to listen to the system at pretty... No, very high levels....

PHC1 04-03-2013 10:55 PM

Hmmm... Question on the topic of refreshing the sound. If the cabinet is sealed, would the air inside the speaker go "stale"? Would opening up the cabinet to get some fresh air, refresh the sound? :scratch2:

J/K of course! :D

Lildebs888 04-03-2013 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHC1 (Post 472970)
Hmmm... Question on the topic of refreshing the sound. If the cabinet is sealed, would the air inside the speaker go "stale"? Would opening up the cabinet to get some fresh air, refresh the sound? :scratch2:

J/K of course! :D

Good thing mine are ported!! ;)

Kunter 09-01-2013 03:47 PM

Has anyone tried different brand resistors in Sasha? The HiFi Critic shootout on resistors uses a Wilson Sophia for testbed with clear preference on Duelund resistors.
Any experience?
Cheers