AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   McIntosh Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   C50 clicks but.... (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=10070)

'cisco 09-24-2011 01:36 AM

C50 clicks but....

I just started a 30-day trial on Rhapsody a few days ago and have noticed clicks/pops ever so often thru my C50. It is connected via WW Silver Starlight coax to the Sonos and the 50. The thing is..... it didn't/doesn't happen on LastFm (before it was free) or Pandora,just Rhapsody.

Any C50 owners with Sonos experiencing the same on Rhapsody? The sampling rate thru the Sonos is limited at 44.1K unless you've modded your Sonos to 96....could the 44.1 be the problem? :umm:

I guess "No more Rhapsody" for me....:icon_thumbsdown:

Still-One 09-24-2011 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'cisco (Post 208297)
I just started a 30-day trial on Rhapsody a few days ago and have noticed clicks/pops ever so often thru my C50. It is connected via WW Silver Eclipse coax to the Sonos and the 50. The thing is..... it didn't/doesn't happen on LastFm (before it was free) or Pandora,just Rhapsody.

Any C50 owners with Sonos experiencing the same on Rhapsody? The sampling rate thru the Sonos is limited at 44.1K unless you've modded your Sonos to 96....could the 44.1 be the problem? :umm:

I guess "No more Rhapsody" for me....:icon_thumbsdown:

I use an optical cable from my SonoS unit to my MCD-1100 and do not get any clicks or pops on Rhapsody (or Spotify or MOG).

Jim

Dj_AmTraX 09-24-2011 08:53 AM

That's strange. It's only USB that has the problem, but I don't use Sonos. Does it do it with a CD transport?

jdandy 09-24-2011 12:48 PM

'cisco.......In the main system I use Rhapsody via Wireworld's Supernova glass Toslink from the Sonos ZP90 to the MCD1100 without issue. In the studio system I use coax from the Sonos ZP90 to the MCD1100. The ZP90 in the main system is hard wired with Ethernet to my router. The studio ZP90 gets its signal wireless. I have no problems with either setup.

'cisco 09-24-2011 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dj_AmTraX (Post 208323)
That's strange. It's only USB that has the problem, but I don't use Sonos. Does it do it with a CD transport?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 208397)
'cisco.......In the main system I use Rhapsody via Wireworld's Supernova glass Toslink from the Sonos ZP90 to the MCD1100 without issue. In the studio system I use coax from the Sonos ZP90 to the MCD1100. The ZP90 in the main system is hard wired with Ethernet to my router. The studio ZP90 gets its signal wireless. I have no problems with either setup.

Here's the verdict....fyi....I'm just using a $3 optical cable at the moment.

With a CD playing in the MCD500...... optical out to C50 digital in....no clicks
.................................................. MCD500...... coax out to C50 digital in.....no clicks
Apparently the cd transport in the equation does not produce the clicks.

Sonos playing Rhapsody optical out to C50 digital in....no clicks
Sonos playing Rhapsody coax out to C50 digital in.....occasional clicks

Dan....I guess I need a better optical?....SuperNova 6 :yes:

I don't know if this is the solution for the clicks but I'll throw it out there anyway....
I'm kind of thinking the C50 doesn't like more than one digital connection connected at one time. If you have a coax connected.....don't connect a optical cable to the 50,which I noticed I did last night and this morning. At the moment I'm listening to Rhapsody with just the coax connected and so far, no clicks. Knock on wood....

I'll have to try the USB to see if that produces the clicks.....that may take a little juggling of the rack and a PC.

'cisco 10-01-2011 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'cisco (Post 208445)

I don't know if this is the solution for the clicks but I'll throw it out there anyway....
I'm kind of thinking the C50 doesn't like more than one digital connection connected at one time. If you have a coax connected.....don't connect a optical cable to the 50,which I noticed I did last night and this morning. At the moment I'm listening to Rhapsody with just the coax connected and so far, no clicks. Knock on wood....

I'll have to try the USB to see if that produces the clicks.....that may take a little juggling of the rack and a PC.

Well it looks like Rhapsody is still giving me the "clicks"..... no matter if it's just the coax/optical is connected. :sigh: :icon_thumbsdown:

Today I decided to connect my sff PC to the C50 via a USB cable. I've been playing music from the hd and it actually sounds pretty good and best of all..... "NO TICKS or POPS" :thumbsup: The only down side....if you're a number watcher.......the display is only reading 16/48K. :sigh::icon_thumbsdown:

Now the waiting game from Mc......:sigh:

Dj_AmTraX 10-01-2011 09:36 AM

I feel your pain bother. :)

Volks 10-01-2011 10:09 AM

I must say ive been very very lucky indeed......ive tried everything thru my USB and cannot make mine pop,click or...."Snap,crackle pop" at all....and my C50 was from the 1st run back in Nov 2010......

Whatever 10-03-2011 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Volks (Post 211421)
I must say ive been very very lucky indeed......ive tried everything thru my USB and cannot make mine pop,click or...."Snap,crackle pop" at all....and my C50 was from the 1st run back in Nov 2010......

I also have one of the first... C50 v1.0 I have a PC connected to the USB and a cd to Optical.... No clicks.

Worried I might get them with the upgrade.