AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Audio Research (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   Kxr versus ref5se (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=18097)

uwbadger 12-26-2012 09:29 AM

Kxr versus ref5se

Hi

I have a set of Vandersteen 5a's and recently acquired a used set of mxr's.

Opinions on adding a used kxr versus new ref5se

I like a fuller more natural and relaxed sound - not analytical or Hifi sounding.

I would like convenience of ss (would leave mxr and kxr in standby) but have always liked a tube in the "middle"

I am nowhere close to any dealer who sells both.

Thx

Masterlu 12-26-2012 10:18 AM

This thread in the ARC forum will get you an answer, I'm sure. :ok:

Still-One 12-26-2012 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uwbadger (Post 416121)
Hi

I have a set of Vandersteen 5a's and recently acquired a used set of mxr's.

Opinions on adding a used kxr versus new ref5se

I like a fuller more natural and relaxed sound - not analytical or Hifi sounding.

I would like convenience of ss (would leave mxr and kxr in standby) but have always liked a tube in the "middle"

I am nowhere close to any dealer who sells both.

Thx

I would go for the K-XR in a flash especially to pair with the MX-R

Kingsrule 12-26-2012 04:19 PM

Agree on the K-XR
I think its the best piece Ayre makes.

jdandy 12-26-2012 10:32 PM

uwbadger.......I agree with Jim and g997. The Ayre KX-R preamplifier is a perfect mate for the pair of MX-R power amps. I don't think you will gain anything with the REF5se that will improve upon the KX-R/MX-R package.

uwbadger 12-26-2012 10:34 PM

Thx

So far 3/3 for the kxr!

doggiehowser 12-26-2012 10:45 PM

One thing that's impressive with the Ayre is how it implements the volume control to create good dynamics even with the knob at low levels.

The 5SE improves on this aspect over the old Ref5 but its nowhere as sophisticated as the way the Ayre implements it.

I feel however that if the gain and sensitivity of the speakers allows you to get to the optimal level on the 5SE which I find is from 30+ on the display (vs 40+ on the 5), the volume control feature is almost equalized. In that respect, the 5SE then shows a more 3 dimensional soundstage and a lusher midrange. The Ayre however gets the last bit of dynamics and detail which the ARC sacrifices for the tube magic.

My friend opted for the Ayre while I opted for the ARC :) he says that he wants consistency of performance whereas he thinks the tube performance will degrade with time.

uwbadger 12-26-2012 10:55 PM

I often listen at low levels as will be in family room next to kitchen. Sounds like kxr better at low levels.

Tomictime 12-27-2012 03:49 AM

I have Vandy 5a with 7 Filters along with VX-R and Ref 5se with near 700 hours. I have taken to leaving the VX on when I know I will listen that eve. It takes a good 8 hours to turn magical. Not sure if the KX takes as long. the SE is magic after the breakin and warm for an hour. I listened to both a fair bit and went with ARC. Both are stellar.

Ritmo 12-27-2012 07:32 AM

I would stick with the all Ayre components. These are beautifully made and have terrific synergy.