AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Cary Audio Design (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Cary Cinema 12 Surround Processor (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=15630)

Chad.Wagner 08-20-2012 04:26 PM

Cary Cinema 12 Surround Processor

Any one using a Cary Cinema 12 Surround Processor?

jdandy 08-20-2012 06:55 PM

http://caryaudio.com/graphics/produc...langle_800.jpg

[ame=http://youtu.be/yj2pajfkdGo]CEDIA 2011: Cary Audio Design Describes Its Cinema 12 Surround Processor - YouTube[/ame]

a2k2000 09-04-2012 08:40 PM

Yes I have had them in my system. The sound quality is phenomenal. For the price point they offer a fantastic performance. To get anything more you will have pay twice as much and upgrade to the Bryston SP3 or the Classe SSP 800.

dminches 02-16-2013 09:23 PM

I have 2 questions about the Cary 12, which I now own. My guess is that they may also be applicable to the Cary 11A:

1) I have my Oppo BDP-95 connected to the Cinema 11a via the 7.1 analog inputs, all single-ended. I am passing the front left and right signals via XLR from the 11a to my 2 channel preamp which has a cinema bypass. However I am not getting any sound from my front left and right speakers. When I select a digital input instead of 7.1 bypass, such as coaxial from my DVR, I do get sound from the left and right. Why isn't it working with the 7.1 bypass? Will it not pass the left and right input from single ended to the balanced output?

2) I just received my Cary 12 and have a setup question. If I want to setup the speaker balances manually does the 12 create test tones? When I went into manual mode and circulated through each of the speakers there were no tones to measure.

jdandy 02-17-2013 12:46 AM

dminches.......Welcome to Audio Aficionado. :wave:

LordoftheRingsEE 02-17-2013 12:58 AM

1. Is there a switch on the back for XLR/RCA? ...Or in the menu setup of the Cinema11.
{It has to be a setting somewhere ...}

2. No test tones (or too buggy for real use) in that unit (Cinema 12); use an SPL meter with a Test disc.

* Read some reviews online (two from HomeTheater):
1) Cinema 11a -> May 2010
2) Cinema 12 -> March 2012

** Cary doesn't recommend using the Auto Setup function; instead it recommends you use a tape measure and SPL meter.

dminches 02-17-2013 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LordoftheRingsEE (Post 446290)
1. Is there a switch on the back for XLR/RCA? ...Or in the menu setup of the Cinema11.
{It has to be a setting somewhere ...}

I don't think there is a switch. It could be part of the setup but it isn't obvious. Also, all 5.1 channels are working fine with a DD input via my DVR. The only issue I am having is with the 7.1 analog inputs from my Oppo.

dminches 02-17-2013 12:22 PM

Thanks for the welcome!

Sonic 02-17-2013 03:43 PM

Hey everyone,

Can anyone offer any comparisons between the Cinema 12 and the Classe SSP-800? I currently have the Marantz AV7005 and will be replacing it in the near future. In the Classe thread I was asking whether the jump in price (Classe is nearly double in cost) is justified in sonic performance. I know both have received favorable reviews and high regard but I am unsure as to how they fare head to head. Thanks in advance for any input!

LordoftheRingsEE 02-17-2013 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dminches (Post 446155)
I have 2 questions about the Cary 12, which I now own. My guess is that they may also be applicable to the Cary 11A:

I have my Oppo BDP-95 connected to the Cinema 11a via the 7.1 analog inputs, all single-ended. I am passing the front left and right signals via XLR from the 11a to my 2 channel preamp which has a cinema bypass. However I am not getting any sound from my front left and right speakers. When I select a digital input instead of 7.1 bypass, such as coaxial from my DVR, I do get sound from the left and right. Why isn't it working with the 7.1 bypass? Will it not pass the left and right input from single ended to the balanced output?

You said that you own the 12, and then your 95 is connected to the 11a!

* Don't matter;
1. Oppo 95: RCA analog 7.1 Out connected to the Cary's RCA analog multichannel In.
2. Oppo 95: XLR (balanced) stereo Out connected to the Cary's XLR stereo In.

** Are you using an additional separate stereo preamp different than your Cary one?

*** I believe that the way you are making your connections is the cause of your issue.

**** Please explain better what your goal is and how exactly your actual connections are made now. ...Because right now, it seems to me that there is a slight complexity here. ..Analog/Digital, and RCA/XLR connections. ...And that "2 channel preamp" of yours with that 'cinema bypass'.
It is confusing to me, and I believe that this complexity adds (is the cause) to your particular issue here. No?