AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Inspire by Dennis Had (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=184)
-   -   Dennis Had Inspire Amps (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=24170)

Masterlu 03-16-2014 04:19 PM

Coltrane1... Welcome :wave:

Thanks for your Support! :thumbsup:

Coltrane1 03-16-2014 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pstrisik (Post 590160)
Welcome from Anchorage - Oh and it's snowing! :) (got 8" yesterday)

As you've found, no website. The best info is Dennis' eBay listings - search for listings by radioman731 and click on the "sold" checkbox on the left to see all his variations on amps so far - or from Dennis himself.

Thanks pstrisik!

Yes, I have DH's personal email. He emails you directly after buying on that 'bay place. But I'm still waiting to hear the product, and become, well, inspired! hey hey, there's a party o'va here, a party o'va there! :banana:

don't mind me...too much Sockeye Salmon for lunch!

Simonatsea 03-16-2014 04:45 PM

His enthusiasm is rather infectious. Look forward to hearing the thoughts on his LP-2. At present I'll be feeding the 6V6 amp via my Burson Audio HA-160D head amp/DAC/Pre. Other than my Phono stage this is going to significantly simplify my system.
Coltrane1 - Greeting from Victoria BC! When you talked to Dennis, what made you decide to go for both the KT88 and the 6V6? Power output? He has assured me that the way he designed the 6V6 you can plug and play KT88 without further changes to the tube compliment.
I don't really require that much power to run my speakers at 101db/w.
Well, looking forward to hearing some initial impressions of DH handy work. I believe my build is still ongoing, no baby pics as yet

longbowbbs 03-16-2014 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pstrisik (Post 589942)
Dennis said I could give out his email, though I won't post it publicly on the forum. Either PM me on audiocircle or avsforum (username: pstrisik) or post a way for me to contact you and I'll pass it on. You can also contact him through his eBay account: radioman731.

AVS PM sent....

Coltrane1 03-16-2014 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simonatsea (Post 590205)
His enthusiasm is rather infectious. Look forward to hearing the thoughts on his LP-2. At present I'll be feeding the 6V6 amp via my Burson Audio HA-160D head amp/DAC/Pre. Other than my Phono stage this is going to significantly simplify my system.
Coltrane1 - Greeting from Victoria BC! When you talked to Dennis, what made you decide to go for both the KT88 and the 6V6? Power output? He has assured me that the way he designed the 6V6 you can plug and play KT88 without further changes to the tube compliment.
I don't really require that much power to run my speakers at 101db/w.
Well, looking forward to hearing some initial impressions of DH handy work. I believe my build is still ongoing, no baby pics as yet

That man...I don't know how he's filling all these orders by his lonesome...that's some trick...retirement, yeah right!

DH steered me towards the 6V6 after I poo-poo'd the idea of separates having become a SET integ guy after years of high powered Class A separates pushing 'stats. I've driven Abby's to pleasing levels with barely 3 watts...my old jazz ears don't require much volume. But Dennis sold me on his long history with 300B's, and his new fangled amp designs...so I said why not...it's only money.

I'm looking forward to sampling the LP2---too! I bought the 6v6, and then after the fact realizing, hey man, you haven't owned a pre in years...so I began a search for a pre and what happened??? A relatively new Inspire owner posted a KT88 and a LS2 for sale...how could I resist?...even though my power demands don't need the KT88...oh well, I'll just run it on my 'stat's...I'm confident it will drive 'em.

Coltrane1 03-16-2014 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 590182)
Coltrane1... Welcome :wave:

Thanks for your Support! :thumbsup:

Thanks Ivan...for being here! :thumbsup:

Justlisten2 03-16-2014 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltrane1 (Post 590241)
That man...I don't know how he's filling all these orders by his lonesome...that's some trick...retirement, yeah right!

Welcome Coltrane1!! Yeah, that's what I've been wondering about too! This is retirement?? It seems like he's awfully busy to me! LOL!! :split:

Hard to believe that you picked up a Inspire combination on the used market already. What was the sellers story? He didn't care for them?
What do you think of the LP-2?

Cheers,
John

Coltrane1 03-16-2014 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justlisten2 (Post 590252)
Welcome Coltrane1!! Yeah, that's what I've been wondering about too! This is retirement?? It seems like he's awfully busy to me! LOL!! :split:

Hard to believe that you picked up a Inspire combination on the used market already. What was the sellers story? He didn't care for them?
What do you think of the LP-2?

Cheers,
John

Thank you John.

Hah! Here I was several days after buying the 6V6, unexpectedly searching for a pre, since I'd been determined to get back in the game after a 7 year audio hiatus with another SET integ...I was a hair's breath from pulling the trigger on a 211 based SET integ...and one last check of the 'bay I stumbled on DH's KT88 ad. My immediate thought was, nope, I don't need the power of a KT88...besides, I want the addicting pureness of a SET...and 2 short email exchanges later DH filled me with curiosity.

Finding that seller was destiny. His ad mentioned he "had too much gear"...the LP2 was just produced in February, and the KT88 was made late '13. At any rate, the LP2's availability cured my natural inclination to mate the 6V6 with once again another BAT preamp.

....fingers X'd.

Justlisten2 03-16-2014 06:42 PM

Another BAT preamp? You too huh?
I've owned the VK-31SE, VK-50 SE and VK-51SE. I also had the VK-3iXSE and VK-32SE in my home for auditions. I've also owned two each of BAT phono stages, CDP's and Amps. LOL!! I've owned 9 BAT units all together over the years, though none in the last 4 years. Fun times overall, and I did enjoy the BAT house sound....too many expensive repair issues though. :tears:

Coltrane1 03-16-2014 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justlisten2 (Post 590272)
Another BAT preamp? You too huh?
I've owned the VK-31SE, VK-50 SE and VK-51SE. I also had the VK-3iXSE and VK-32SE in my home for auditions. I've also owned two each of BAT phono stages, CDP's and Amps. LOL!! I've owned 9 BAT units all together over the years, though none in the last 4 years. Fun times overall, and I did enjoy the BAT house sound....too many expensive repair issues though. :tears:

Whew, you've owned some of their best. Knock on wood...since '98, I never once had a repair issue other than cranking too tightly on one of the speaker lugs to VK1000 mono's. Victor hooked me up at no cost...what a company.

I miss that friendly user interface.

Formerly YB-2 03-16-2014 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pstrisik (Post 589548)
Welcome Simonatsea! Our ranks are growing!

Perhaps a glimpse of your 6V6 chassis!

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/5553/5rfm.jpg

So, red/white/blue equipment, eh? They are made in the USA afterall! But you will have to keep them in order: pre, phono, amp. If you did amp, phono, pre, everyone would think they were made in France! :lmao:

Anyone know what piece of gear the white chassis on the far left will become?

Yes, you would be fortunate to be French. Best wine, food and healthcare on the planet.

Justlisten2 03-16-2014 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 (Post 590335)
Anyone know what piece of gear the white chassis on the far left will become?

Maybe a sneak peek at the phono stage that Dennis is working on? It looks like 4 small signal tubes in the front, with two larger holes in the back for a rectifier and the capacitor??? I don't know, I'm just guessing. :scratch2:

Simonatsea 03-16-2014 10:44 PM

I have some pics of my racing green 6V6 newly built, Dennis has made some changes to the circuit, looks more akin to the KT88 under the hood now. Anybody know how to post pics? new to the forum, may not have the rights....
Cheers

Formerly YB-2 03-17-2014 06:51 AM

For pic's most folks seem to use a pic hosting service like PhotoBucket and put the link into this box.

The alternative is to click on the 'Go Advanced' button and scroll down to the 'Manage Attachments' and click on that. Uploads a thumbnail of your pic which the viewer opens by clicking on same.

Simonatsea 03-17-2014 12:15 PM

So here are the finished pics of my 6V6 amplifier, apparently this is an all new circuit for this amp. The ebay pics and previous listings show a much "Simpler" circuit. The price has risen for the 6V6 on Ebay to $1100. this may be the reason. Dennis installed special 16ohm output transformers to run my Zu audio soul superfly's.
I believe the chassis in the picture with the four small tubes is the EL84 amplifier, you can see it on his previous bay listings. I too look forward to a phone stage option....

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...s3cd790e1.jpeg
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...s6d42f12f.jpeg

Coltrane1 03-17-2014 02:33 PM

You folks with the custom colors are changing the entire portfolio for DH's amps, for what builder does one go to for a custom color. Way to go DH!

Yes, judging by his ebay feedback prices have been steadily rising over the past 24 months. Better to buy now than later.

pstrisik 03-17-2014 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simonatsea (Post 590477)
So here are the finished pics of my 6V6 amplifier, apparently this is an all new circuit for this amp. The ebay pics and previous listings show a much "Simpler" circuit. The price has risen for the 6V6 on Ebay to $1100. this may be the reason. Dennis installed special 16ohm output transformers to run my Zu audio soul superfly's.
I believe the chassis in the picture with the four small tubes is the EL84 amplifier, you can see it on his previous bay listings. I too look forward to a phone stage option....

Good call! Here's the photo:

http://img607.imageshack.us/img607/2861/djli.jpg

Nice amp, yours! That visible cap has a 2% tolerance. If it's any indication, a sign of quality. I just bought some ClarityCap ESA series caps (their second best) for my AR2ax xovers and they have a 3% tolerance.

Justlisten2 03-17-2014 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simonatsea (Post 590477)

Awesome pics Simonatsea!! Man, Dennis is really coming up with some beautiful looking amps in a vast array of colors. Yea Dennis!!! :banana:

Lord knows this hobby can use a little fun-injection!! Speaking of fun injection, I got my Fed Ex tracking number from Dennis today.....estimated delivery......are you ready for this?

Quote:

Estimated delivery Thursday, Mar. 6 - Wednesday, Mar. 12
Ummmm.......yeah, about that. :scratch2: LOL!!

BTW, good call on the EL84 amp Simonatsea!! :thumbsup:

Simonatsea 03-17-2014 05:25 PM

Here is what Dennis had to say about the high impedance transformers he put into my Amplifier upon request. I am sure he raves about all his creations, I do however the the fact that each one seems to be very unique.

Fwd;
I don't know if it is the higher impedance winding or the green powder coat but your amp sounds absolutely incredable. In my home listening room I am driving a pair of the Tannoy Kensington SE loudspeakers and a separate pair of 15" passive woofers I built. The impedance is down in the 3 ohm range ..... it just simply never amazes me on this audio stuff ... forget the test instruments and theory LOL !! Of course this is part of the beauty of a single-ended amplifier. Run it into any load and have at it. These amps just keep havin at it! You are in for a treat. Good thing I requested 4 more pair of the higher output impedance transformers from the transformer folks. I need a pair for ME! I have three different transformer sources I use. You have a special wind!

Coltrane1 03-17-2014 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simonatsea (Post 590563)
"it just simply never amazes me on this audio stuff ... forget the test instruments and theory LOL !! Of course this is part of the beauty of a single-ended amplifier. Run it into any load and have at it."

I can totally relate to where DH is coming from. Notice the floor amp stand featuring a 300B SET integrated, rated at 8 watts, driving a pair of CLZiiz electrostats, that commonly dip down to a 2ohm load, and below. I connected the integ out of curiosity...1 o'clock was max volume for my ears...amazingly the SET, a modified Grant Fidelity import, easily drove this pair of 'stats which had a well known reputation for being very troublesome towards anything but a higher powered Class A solid state amp.

http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/...o/d0384b51.jpg

Simonatsea 03-18-2014 01:16 AM

So far I have yet to find real synergy within my system. My Mcintosh Ma-230, I thought would be the perfect fit but she is proving difficult in her old age. Back into the who for a new volume pot. Looking forward to seeing how a DH inspire fits with your system. Dennis posted a green 6V6 on ebay for St. Patty's day, sold in a couple of hours.... Retirement, wow, I think he has found something to keep him busy! Pretty amazing to have such a personalized build, Hopefully he is at it for a while yet.
Beautiful listening room btw....

Coltrane1 03-18-2014 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simonatsea (Post 590707)
So far I have yet to find real synergy within my system. My Mcintosh Ma-230, I thought would be the perfect fit but she is proving difficult in her old age. Back into the who for a new volume pot. Looking forward to seeing how a DH inspire fits with your system. Dennis posted a green 6V6 on ebay for St. Patty's day, sold in a couple of hours.... Retirement, wow, I think he has found something to keep him busy! Pretty amazing to have such a personalized build, Hopefully he is at it for a while yet.
Beautiful listening room btw....

Thank you. It's a small room...I've downsized homes for retirement, having given up a former fairly large listening room. But doing so opened my mind to exploring other types of gear beyond Class A solid state...SET integrated's for starters.

There was an Inspire KT88 listed today that sold in a matter of hours as well. DH, if you keep this up, you're going to have to hire some help. My Inspire KT88 and LS2 preamp arrive tomorrow...pics and first impressions to come.

antipop 03-18-2014 04:01 PM

I'm wondering if I'm not going to order one for my system :scratch2:

Can he do 220V ?

Simonatsea 03-18-2014 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antipop (Post 590836)
I'm wondering if I'm not going to order one for my system :scratch2: Can he do 220V ?

He orders his own custom wound transformers so I'd dare to say that 220v would not be out of the question. Something he would be more than happy to answer you on, he's a very nice man. He had a Green 6v6 on the bay for St. Patty's day, only lasted a few hours....

antipop 03-18-2014 06:37 PM

Awesome, now I wonder what would be the best match for my system. The Manley are based on EL34 so I'm thinking of going with a KT88 or higher. I don't know what the 6v6 are like

Justlisten2 03-18-2014 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antipop (Post 590888)
Awesome, now I wonder what would be the best match for my system. The Manley are based on EL34 so I'm thinking of going with a KT88 or higher. I don't know what the 6v6 are like

I don't know what the 6V6's are like either, but I'm about to find out. Dennis just sent me an e-mail asking me to start with the 6V6 tubes first, before I use the KT88's. After he was kind enough to include them, what could I say? Sure I will.
By the way, I asked Dennis with all of these cool custom colors coming out....can purple haze be far behind??? :music:

antipop 03-19-2014 08:51 AM

I'll love to get your feedback once you get it.

BTW, what is the process with Dennis ? Do you purchase it on eBay and then contact him or do you talk to him before ?

Too bad for the green one, it would have matched my living room perfectly :)

pstrisik 03-19-2014 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antipop (Post 591061)
I'll love to get your feedback once you get it.

BTW, what is the process with Dennis ? Do you purchase it on eBay and then contact him or do you talk to him before ?

Too bad for the green one, it would have matched my living room perfectly :)

You can approach purchasing either way. If you like the listing that is up, buy it. Or you can contact him and have him build for you what you want. He lists that piece on eBay when it is finished and you "buy it now". At least that is how he did with me.

So, you can order green if that's what you want - so far I've seen, white, cream, black, red, blue, green. And, John, purple would definitely be awesome! :rock-on:

antipop 03-19-2014 04:32 PM

Thanks Peter, I'll definitively do that

Justlisten2 03-19-2014 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pstrisik (Post 591072)
So, you can order green if that's what you want - so far I've seen, white, cream, black, red, blue, green. And, John, purple would definitely be awesome! :rock-on:

Damn straight Peter!! Here's what Jaguar Purple might look like!! :pg2:

http://www.carnewschina.com/wp-conte...le-china-1.jpg

http://www.carnewschina.com/wp-conte...le-china-2.jpg

pstrisik 03-19-2014 07:47 PM

Wow! That can't be a factory color - is it? Your car? It would look great on one of Dennis' chassis (still don't know the plural of chassis - I'll go look it up since this is the second time I've needed it!).

Reminds me of a bumper sticker in my mechanic's shop (no offense meant to anyone):

"The parts falling off this car are of the finest British workmanship."

Probably would be more applicable in the old days. My father had a Jaguar Racing Green '66 XKE (new).

Edit: plural of chassis is....... chassis. :scratch2: Different pronounciation: chassee vs. chasseez. Now I know!

Justlisten2 03-19-2014 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pstrisik (Post 591167)
Wow! That can't be a factory color - is it? Your car?

LOL! No, not mine, but I wouldn't mind pimping around town in that baby. :yes:

It's a custom paint job in China.

Jaguar XF is shiny purple in China | CarNewsChina.com - China Auto News

Coltrane1 03-19-2014 10:17 PM

KT88 and LP2 arrive...Time to get this FIRE started! :banana:

http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/...ps728b6823.jpg

http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/...psf472f8a2.jpg

http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/...ps1b86cc1c.jpg

http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/...ps31ab72c7.jpg

pstrisik 03-19-2014 11:03 PM

Yeee haahhhhhhh!

Sure are pretty! My LP-2 is on its way up here - scheduled on Friday. Would love to read your initial review before I set it up... hint, hint. http://smiley.nowdararpour.ir/evilgrin/21.gif

Simonatsea 03-20-2014 01:54 AM

Look forward to your impressions, really do look stunning!

Coltrane1 03-20-2014 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pstrisik (Post 591204)
Yeee haahhhhhhh!

Sure are pretty! My LP-2 is on its way up here - scheduled on Friday. Would love to read your initial review before I set it up... hint, hint. http://smiley.nowdararpour.ir/evilgrin/21.gif

Very kewl Peter. Anticipation is a good thing. I received a new jazz archtop delivery via FedEx less than 20 minutes after delivery of the Inspire gear. I don't dare open the case, not even for a peek. Nitro celluose lacquer this time of the year requires acclimating to its new environment. I'll leave it to settle in over night, allowing the case, and the archtop inside, to gradually warm to the temperature of its new room...So, you're not waiting alone....anticipation...good stuff! :thumbsup:

As a heads up, my Pre came with no manual. The previous owner said there was none. That's fine, but of course there's no markings on the 5 sets of rear RCA's. Hmmm...my guess was the 2 sets of posts nearest the transformer and plug were preouts 1 and 2..and looking right to left, from behind the pre, were CD, Aux1 and Aux2 inputs. I guessed right.

The first thing that struck me was, their size wins the blue ribbon for the tiniest amp and preamp I've ever seen, much less owned. Each chassis, pre and amp, at 10" wide the pair could easily fit side by side on one shelf of my Lovan stand....but of course it's best for each to occupy a shelf of their own to aide in heat dissipation.

This amp was built in late October of '13, and the pre was built 4 weeks ago...so I'm assuming the pre isn't yet fully broken in.

Nonetheless, after an hour warmup time, spinning my old faithful sound reference recording, a Miles Davis' 'Kind Of Blue' 180gr LP, and playback via the Abby's, this LP is as musical as its ever been. Coltrane left, Miles center, Cannoball right, soundstage depth, width, and presence are each as prominent as I've ever experienced them to be. Don't let their small size fool you. The synergy between this pair is very engaging.

Tomorrow I'll biamp the Martin Logan's with the Inspire on the panels, and solid state mono's on the woofers, to truly determine how much gas this lil' amp has...stay tuned. :music:

http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/...ps3a48fa17.jpg

pstrisik 03-20-2014 11:25 AM

Very nice Coltrane1.......

Jazz musician, eh? That's great. Most I can say is I'm a blues harp hack. Got a couple of great mics though - a vintage Shure green bullet and a custom harp mic by the wizard Greg Heuman based on a vintage Shure 545 element (the "Butterfield" mic type element). Also an upgraded 60's Kalamazoo 5 watt tube amp.

I'm surprised at the guts of the 10watter I got from DH. As I described earlier, it does a pretty good job powering vintage AR2ax - 87db sensitive. If you are biamping ML's I'm sure yours will do fine. If it were to power them by itself, not so sure given the reputation for power needs of that type speaker.

I see you have a pair of single drivers. I have a pair of Omega Super 7 XRS speakers on order. Custom made drivers and cabs by Louis Chochos - 6" alnico drivers. More anticipation! http://smiley.nowdararpour.ir/kolobok3/56.gif

Thanks for identifying the jacks. I'll probably use my handy dandy label maker for that, but now don't have to do the guesswork myself. I didn't get a manual with my amp either. What I know if from his listings and direct correspondence. Mostly needed to know about what tubes can run in it. I've got a pretty good list now.

Coltrane1 03-20-2014 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pstrisik (Post 591334)
Very nice Coltrane1.......

Jazz musician, eh? That's great. Most I can say is I'm a blues harp hack. Got a couple of great mics though - a vintage Shure green bullet and a custom harp mic by the wizard Greg Heuman based on a vintage Shure 545 element (the "Butterfield" mic type element). Also an upgraded 60's Kalamazoo 5 watt tube amp.

I'm surprised at the guts of the 10watter I got from DH. As I described earlier, it does a pretty good job powering vintage AR2ax - 87db sensitive. If you are biamping ML's I'm sure yours will do fine. If it were to power them by itself, not so sure given the reputation for power needs of that type speaker.

I see you have a pair of single drivers. I have a pair of Omega Super 7 XRS speakers on order. Custom made drivers and cabs by Louis Chochos - 6" alnico drivers. More anticipation!

Thanks for identifying the jacks. I'll probably use my handy dandy label maker for that, but now don't have to do the guesswork myself. I didn't get a manual with my amp either. What I know if from his listings and direct correspondence. Mostly needed to know about what tubes can run in it. I've got a pretty good list now.

As single drivers go, I've only owned these Abby's. I often see great home made's on the DIY forums. Some home builders have impressive woodworking skills!

btw...Ms. Buttercup, as she's been dubbed, who just arrived is a bonafide keeper! :banana:

Buying a new archtop blind is like buying a box of cracker jacks...one never knows the prize inside.

http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/...ps6d5a9b19.jpg

pstrisik 03-20-2014 10:17 PM

Very impressive! I can see the workmanship there that we all appreciate in Dennis' work. I now envision you looking like some version of Anthony Wilson. http://smiley.nowdararpour.ir/laughing/13.gif

Coltrane1 03-21-2014 01:48 AM

I've been a fan of Anthony Wilson since I first saw him touring in 2000 with Diana Krall. He tore it up on that 'live in Paris' DVD.