AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Inspire by Dennis Had (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=184)
-   -   Dennis Had Inspire Amps (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=24170)

FloridaBoy 07-14-2015 12:22 PM

Beatle,

You may also want to look at the Lore line of speakers from Tekton Design. If you like the Inspire with your present speakers I predict that your jaw will drop when it drives a more efficient design. :thumbsup:

BTW, I am not a Klipsch sales person. I just know I can live with what I have for a very long time. Trust your ears. :D

FloridaBoy 07-15-2015 06:38 AM

A Tase of Tubes

archive.anthemav.com/OldSitev1//pages/taste.html

An excellent tubes e-book from Sonic Frontiers now DBS Parts Connexion. Enjoy! :thumbsup:

FloridaBoy 07-15-2015 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pstrisik (Post 693794)
My name is Peter and I'm a tube-aholic.

I'm on a rectifier buying binge and I can't stop!!

Actually, about done for a bit. Looking at Brimar 5R4GY/CV717, GEC (etc) GZ37/5U4G/CV575 (maybe too expensive), Mullard GZ32/CV593/5V4.

Ideas from "Dubstepgirl's" review:

w w w.head-fi.org/t/694525/dubstep-girls-massive-5ar4-5r4-5u4g-rectifier-review-comparison-rectifer-tube-rolling-thread

Her findings apply to headphone amps and may not be the same in other amps. Many tubes are priced on rarity, not sonics.

IMHO, the key is system synergy and what is sublime in my rig may not be in yours.

x3workshop 07-20-2015 10:40 PM

Hi. New member here.

I'm ordering a new version of the Fire Bottle 45 amp from Dennis since I made a major tube score over the weekend on a several dozen CX245 Globes along with some sweet GEC KT66's & lightly used TS 6550's. They were at a garage sale of all places. Can't wait for the amp.

FloridaBoy 07-21-2015 05:59 PM

Cool! The 45 is the way to go if you have the correct speakers. I had a Korneff 45 amp years ago a regret selling it. In it, the EML solid plate was the tube I liked best. But that was 10+ years ago. Dennis seems to prefer the mesh, or he designs around it.

Dennis is building a LS 27a preamp for me and I am excited to say the least.

Enjoy your 45! :music:

FloridaBoy 07-28-2015 04:21 PM

LP27a arrived today.

The preamp is excellent! Pics have been posted before. I am running Tung Sol 6AR6WA's as 6L6's with an adapter, 6SL7 and 5U4G rectifier. These are less than $20 each. They are brand new, so is the amp and pre, and they need some hours to open up but sound pretty darn good. A lot of weight to the music. It is an unusual tube as it was designed and spec'ed by Western Electric and produced by Tung Sol in the 50's. It is said to be a WE350B in a 6L6 size bottle.

http://i59.tinypic.com/i5yp1y.jpg

x3workshop 07-28-2015 06:58 PM

Where did you find those adapters?

FloridaBoy 07-28-2015 07:14 PM

On the auction site. (6AR6 to 6L6) I have had them and the tubes for a while and now I can actually use them. :D

They were used at radar installations. SAC? There is a Bendix Red Bank version, avoid it, it's $$ and does not work well for audio. Google 6AR6 history. There is a 1947 Bell Labs PDF and the tube is discussed on page 8.

Beatlebum 07-28-2015 07:45 PM

A an update on where things stand for me. I've purchased and installed new Crites crossovers and Crites CT125 tweeters and they have improved my Heresy 1's. To be honest, they sounded pretty good before but I did test the resistance on all of the drivers and it turns out one of the original tweeters was no longer up to spec. I'm very pleased with Bob's quality and customer service. I do wonder if titanium diaphragms (not available from Crites at this time) would add some additional sparkle and high frequency extension.

Also, because of my experience with the efficient Heresy's paired with my Inspire IFA-1, and reading various threads praising Tekton speakers, I've ordered a pair of Tekton Lore-S speakers from Eric at Tekton. They wil be finished in a BMW Bronze Sepang Metallic. Cannot wait to hear these with the Inspire!

Lots of fun evenings/nights ahead for me! I think I'm sold on the SET/high efficiency speaker scenario.

FloridaBoy 07-28-2015 08:00 PM

Beatle, I have a friend in Panama who has the Lore and he really likes them. He was using Decware DM945's. My Hersey III's have the Titanium diaphragm. I think they were utilized to prevent damage when the speakers are cranked up. It took a looong time for them to settle down.