AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Inspire by Dennis Had (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=184)
-   -   Dennis Had Inspire Amps (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=24170)

Aercool 06-27-2015 12:07 AM

I tried driving something in that same 86 dB/m range before my Zu Omens arrived, and it definitely ran out of steam - particularly in the bass range. Your experience may vary - so please report back!

FloridaBoy 06-29-2015 04:39 PM

Inspire KT88 SE triode wired

New guy here. I just ordered an Inspire KT88SE triode strapped. It will have less power than the ultra linear version. Will post more after it arrives.

I have been a tube-a-holic for years and I excited about this amp. :D

pstrisik 06-29-2015 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FloridaBoy (Post 710636)
New guy here. I just ordered an Inspire KT88SE triode strapped. It will have less power than the ultra linear version. Will post more after it arrives.

I have been a tube-a-holic for years and I excited about this amp. :D

Welcome FloridaBoy! Interesting variation. What does "triode strapped" mean? And how much power with which tubes? It's named after a pentode tube, so confusing. :scratch2:

My KT-150 runs at 10 - 12 watts when running KT-88's depending on rectifier.

FloridaBoy 06-29-2015 07:58 PM

The amp I am getting is single ended but wired in triode. It will produce less power but the sonics are, IMHO, seductive. Most of the amps Dennis has produced are single ended but are ultra linear. More power is produced with the ultra linear iteration. My speakers are 99db so I opted for triode. I have seen one Inspire that had a switch to toggle back and forth between the two.

Masterlu 06-29-2015 08:09 PM

FloridaBoy... Welcome to AA! :wave:

pstrisik 06-29-2015 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FloridaBoy (Post 710678)
The amp I am getting is single ended but wired in triode. It will produce less power but the sonics are, IMHO, seductive. Most of the amps Dennis has produced are single ended but are ultra linear. More power is produced with the ultra linear iteration. My speakers are 99db so I opted for triode. I have seen one Inspire that had a switch to toggle back and forth between the two.

Still interesting! Makes me think about upgrade possibilities that might be possible for my amp. Switch between triode and UL, hmmm.

Now you've done it! :lala:

Beatlebum 06-30-2015 09:56 AM

Should receive my IFA-1 today via FedEx.:banana:

Dennis mentioned in our correspondence that he's made some circuit upgrades on my particular amp. Not sure what they are but he was very pleased with the results.

I'll report back when I get it installed in my system.

FloridaBoy 06-30-2015 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pstrisik (Post 624957)
Well, I keep switching back and forth using a Decware, good quality switch for level matched comparison, trying to find a reason to keep the SLP-05. The LP-2 just seems to edge it out in musicality and smoothness. I've not wanted to believe this since the SLP-05 cost me five times what I paid for the LP-2. It should sound better. It seems that every time I move towards simpler designs, I am rewarded. From Conrad-Johnson push-pull to the single ended Inspire KT150, the three way AR2ax' to the single driver, crossoverless Omegas, and the SLP-05 to the LP-2.

The :music: is what matters. Low power tube amps and efficient speakers sound the best to me too.

FloridaBoy 06-30-2015 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aercool (Post 625158)
Dang it. You're going to make me buy a Sophia mesh plate 274B - just when I thought the holy grail was the 60's vintage Mullard 5AR4 and I was *done* with rectifiers...:music:

I popped the KT-150's back in tonight. I'll see if they have the same effect as the 6V6GT's I've been listening to for months.

Using the Mullard and a Tele E88CC driver.

The metal base Mullard 5AR4 is regarded as the best and they are not cheap.
However, the black base double D getter 5AR4 from the same era is a sonic twin and a lot cheaper. I have both and will post pic when I figure out how.

Beatlebum 06-30-2015 09:02 PM

Okay so I received the IFA-1 today and everything arrived in fine order thanks to Dennis' great packing.

The Bryston Mini T's don't seem to be a problem for my particular IFA-1, which I believe is about 12 wpc and KT88 based. I had Dennis install a Blue Velvet Alps stereo potentiometer and I'm listening at my desired level with the knob at about 2:00.

More break-in required for sure but so far Antonio Forcione's "Tears of Joy" is sounding magnificent! Great bass (a bit looser than my Hegel 160's), full and deep, beautiful extended highs and of course, that gorgeous midrange that only tubes can do.

I do have a low oscillating hum that I can't seem to get rid of. It is not affected by the volume control, so any helpful suggestions are welcome here. I've tried both shielded and unshielded power cords on the amp, but no difference.

I am ecstatic at the performance I'm hearing right now!