AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Inspire by Dennis Had (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=184)
-   -   Dennis Had Inspire Amps (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=24170)

cgn-dt-n 01-06-2023 11:30 AM

It was the 866a that were installed in the amplifier.
A great light show, the bright blue and the bright orange from the ELROG tubes. Very impressive in the darkened auditorium.

cporada 01-06-2023 03:49 PM

Hello all,

I am new to this forum after having the good fortune of recently snagging one of Dennis' Inspire LP-2 preamps secondhand (what an amazing piece of gear!).

So, just to be sure I understand the various posts on the forum correctly, it is safe to use the Sophia Electric Princess 274B mesh plate tube in place of the stock 5Y3GT rectifier that came with the preamp? Sophia Electric says they are "99% sure this is okay", but I'm worried about that 1% uncertainty.
Do those of you that have tried this tube feel it offers sonic benefits over the 5Y3GT in this setting?
Thanks so much,
Chris

Masterlu 01-06-2023 04:39 PM

cporada… Welcome to AA! :wave:

cporada 01-06-2023 04:41 PM

Thank you, Ivan! It seems like a great place :-)

cporada 01-06-2023 08:55 PM

One other question: the Inspire LP-2 I bought uses 3 6FM7 tubes, in addition to the 5Y3GT rectifier. These are kind of unusual tubes for audio gear (and it doesn't seem anyone makes new versions of these), from what I have gathered from reading about tube gear. Does anyone know if other types of tubes could be used in their place, and if so, which tubes would work and what they would do to the sound characteristics of the LP-2?
Thanks so much for any help/advice.
Chris

Isaacc7 01-07-2023 11:18 AM

Are there any advantages to mercury rectifiers other than the cool blue glow? I would worry about disposal and the very slight chance of breaking the tube, especially if unit was on!

Analog Addict 01-07-2023 01:28 PM

Answers:

1) 274B is fine in the LP-2
2) 6FM7 is the only tube that can be used in that pre amp. The nice thing about that tube is that it is plentiful and dirt cheap
3) Besides the cool blue glow, Hg rectifiers have an advantage in that they have very little inherent voltage drop, about the same as a 5AR4, and can be used for higher current demands, up to 250mA. Also, theoretically, voltage doesn't sag with high current draw.

Analog Addict 01-07-2023 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cporada (Post 1070481)
Hello all,

I am new to this forum after having the good fortune of recently snagging one of Dennis' Inspire LP-2 preamps secondhand (what an amazing piece of gear!).

So, just to be sure I understand the various posts on the forum correctly, it is safe to use the Sophia Electric Princess 274B mesh plate tube in place of the stock 5Y3GT rectifier that came with the preamp? Sophia Electric says they are "99% sure this is okay", but I'm worried about that 1% uncertainty.
Do those of you that have tried this tube feel it offers sonic benefits over the 5Y3GT in this setting?
Thanks so much,
Chris

Chris,

You might want to consider the matching amp, the "Kleen Sweep", which also uses these type of tubes. You can get one for less than $2000, and they sound amazing as well. Dennis just told me he would sell you his personal one right off his stereo rack...

Isaacc7 01-07-2023 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Analog Addict (Post 1070511)
Answers:

1) 274B is fine in the LP-2
2) 6FM7 is the only tube that can be used in that pre amp. The nice thing about that tube is that it is plentiful and dirt cheap
3) Besides the cool blue glow, Hg rectifiers have an advantage in that they have very little inherent voltage drop, about the same as a 5AR4, and can be used for higher current demands, up to 250mA. Also, theoretically, voltage doesn't sag with high current draw.

Ok, but what advantages do mercury rectifiers have over solid state diodes? The Firebottle's rectifier swapping is a cool feature because it allows you to use different output tubes. But if you're going to be using one kind of tube why use vacuum diodes at all other than for the looks?

cporada 01-07-2023 04:26 PM

Thanks so much, Analog Addict!

I just scored a "cosmetically imperfect" Princess 274b mesh plate from Sophia :banana:, so I'm excited to hear what that does to the already amazing sound from the LP-2. If I recall, this is the rectifier you use; correct?

What an amazing offer to buy Dennis' personal Kleen Sweep. At the moment, I am quite content with the sound coming from my LP-2 feeding my Decware Torii Mk3; actually the sound is better than I thought was possible. The LP-2 has added a whole new dimension to the already stellar soundstage I had with the Torii driving my Green Mountain Eos HD speakers and the BACCH4Mac cross-talk eliminating software. It is now just unreal; each instrument/voice exists in its own little 3D space, just floating in the room. It's like the speakers have vanished altogether.

Are there any particular 6FM7s you have found sound best?

Thank you so much again for your help,
Chris