AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Inspire by Dennis Had (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=184)
-   -   Dennis Had Inspire Amps (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=24170)

Ruleof72 11-13-2020 10:52 PM

Other affordable 6sn7's to try?

I'm really enjoying the Fire Bottle and am wanting to try 1 or 2 other 6sn7 tubes to compare to the GE 6sn7GTB that Dennis sent with the amp.

Any suggestions for a couple of options that, pair well with KT88's and offer a different sound without breaking the bank? Old or new is fine with me.

nhparrot 11-14-2020 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruleof72 (Post 1021107)
I'm really enjoying the Fire Bottle and am wanting to try 1 or 2 other 6sn7 tubes to compare to the GE 6sn7GTB that Dennis sent with the amp.

Any suggestions for a couple of options that, pair well with KT88's and offer a different sound without breaking the bank? Old or new is fine with me.

IMO a "new" PSVane CV181 or "old" Raytheon JAN-CRP-6SN7GT VT-231 are well worth a try

Bombadil 11-14-2020 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruleof72 (Post 1021107)

How much do you want to spend?

Inexpensive ($15-$20) options include Baldwin labeled chrome-top made by Sylvania or Westinghouse 6SN7GTB Tall yellow-label. Both are pretty good.

Ruleof72 11-14-2020 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nhparrot (Post 1021126)
IMO a "new" PSVane CV181 or "old" Raytheon JAN-CRP-6SN7GT VT-231 are well worth a try

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bombadil (Post 1021196)
How much do you want to spend?

Inexpensive ($15-$20) options include Baldwin labeled made by Sylvania or Westinghouse 6SN7GTB Tall yellow-label. Both are pretty good.

I'm thinking less than $60 or so. The PSVane looks nice but the price is a bit steep. Looks like I could get the Raytheon for $30-50? I'll check out the Baldwin versions

Any preferred sellers of older tubes that I should be looking at?

Bombadil 11-15-2020 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruleof72 (Post 1021198)
I'm thinking less than $60 or so. The PSVane looks nice but the price is a bit steep. Looks like I could get the Raytheon for $30-50? I'll check out the Baldwin versions

Any preferred sellers of older tubes that I should be looking at?

Brent Jessee is a good source
http://www.audiotubes.com/6sn7.htm

bearcity 11-15-2020 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bombadil (Post 1021208)
Brent Jessee is a good source

http://www.audiotubes.com/6sn7.htm

He offers an extended warranty which I recommend.

rmlowz 11-15-2020 08:30 PM

I received my Inspire 45 Friday. I am in awe on how this amp sounds!. I have owned Klipsch K402 horns going on 13 years now. The K402s have NEVER sounded this good! I was thinking on selling them because I guess I was tired of the sound. I have brand new speakers now. The Inspire 45 gave a whole new meaning of owning the K402s. I have never been good at describing sound its like the person singing is closer to the mic, instruments are separated and sound closer in the room. You can here fingers across strings inhale and exhale breathing from the singer, it is unbelievable what I am hearing. I have Lii Audio F15s also and the the 45 make all the instruments float higher on the wall like you were in about the 3rd row. The whole room is FULL of sound and instruments are separated and voices clear as well. If any of my forums friends are thinking about buying a new amp. IMHO you owe it to yourself in this audio hobby to order a Inspire 45. Thanks Dennis for such a wonderful amp in my audio journey

Rich

bearcity 11-16-2020 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmlowz (Post 1021315)
Thanks Dennis for such a wonderful amp in my audio journey

Rich

+1

pcprincipal 11-17-2020 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmlowz (Post 1021315)
I received my Inspire 45 Friday. I am in awe on how this amp sounds!. I have owned Klipsch K402 horns going on 13 years now. The K402s have NEVER sounded this good! I was thinking on selling them because I guess I was tired of the sound. I have brand new speakers now. The Inspire 45 gave a whole new meaning of owning the K402s. I have never been good at describing sound its like the person singing is closer to the mic, instruments are separated and sound closer in the room. You can here fingers across strings inhale and exhale breathing from the singer, it is unbelievable what I am hearing. I have Lii Audio F15s also and the the 45 make all the instruments float higher on the wall like you were in about the 3rd row. The whole room is FULL of sound and instruments are separated and voices clear as well. If any of my forums friends are thinking about buying a new amp. IMHO you owe it to yourself in this audio hobby to order a Inspire 45. Thanks Dennis for such a wonderful amp in my audio journey

Rich

He makes an amazing amplifier. I have an older 45 design of his, from 2006 in the Cary days. I have the Sophia meshplate 45's. I love them, though I've never heard other 45's. They power Altec Duplex speakers. Good for you!!

FloridaBoy 11-17-2020 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pcprincipal (Post 1021441)
He makes an amazing amplifier. I have an older 45 design of his, from 2006 in the Cary days. I have the Sophia meshplate 45's. I love them, though I've never heard other 45's. They power Altec Duplex speakers. Good for you!!

The Sophia perforated plate 45 are manufactured by TJ Full Music. They are no longer made. So, are they new production/old stock? :scratch2:

I'm running them in a new Inspire 45 and they do sound good. :thumbsup: