AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Inspire by Dennis Had (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=184)
-   -   Dennis Had Inspire Amps (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=24170)

bearcity 11-05-2020 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by decooney (Post 1020036)
re: kt170; for an experiment build or actual production?

Never know. I understand he will have a some in a few weeks.

bearcity 11-05-2020 08:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 63220

Dennis is crazed with vacuum tubes ... Ham Radio and Hi Fi! 🤪

He also mentioned that there is a special introductory price for the CJ5 for ‘Inspire Family Members’. You’ll have to inquire direct with him though.

Ruleof72 11-06-2020 08:14 PM

I wanted to update everyone on the hum issues I was noticing with my Fire Bottle KT88 amp:

Dennis was kind enough to request I send the amp back to him for a full look over. After double-checking everything he determined that it was nothing more than a noisy NOS 6SL7 driver tube. He returned the amp with a Tung-Sol SL7 and the amp is dead quiet!

Needless to say I am more than happy with the result. Dennis was very accommodating and understanding of my concerns. Top tier service all around!

Now I need to see what the CJ5 will cost so I can complete the Inspire two fer!

nhparrot 11-07-2020 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bearcity (Post 1020108)
Attachment 63220

Dennis is crazed with vacuum tubes ... Ham Radio and Hi Fi! 🤪

He also mentioned that there is a special introductory price for the CJ5 for ‘Inspire Family Members’. You’ll have to inquire direct with him though.

What is the tube configuration for the CJ5 preamp?

straitwire 11-07-2020 07:06 PM

The last time I checked the CJ5 tube configuration that Dennis was recommending is 6C5 in the input stage and 6J5 in the buffer stage.
Rectifier is 5Y3 or 5U4

bearcity 11-07-2020 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by straitwire (Post 1020401)
The last time I checked the CJ5 tube configuration that Dennis was recommending is 6C5 in the input stage and 6J5 in the buffer stage.

Rectifier is 5Y3 or 5U4

I just looked close at the picts of a unit Dennis shipped recently. I posted a shot of the front here on Halloween. Same as you describe except he had a 5AR4 in the rectifier slot.

bearcity 11-07-2020 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bearcity (Post 1020414)
I just looked close at the picts of a unit Dennis shipped recently. I posted a shot of the front here on Halloween. Same as you describe except he had a 5AR4 in the rectifier slot.

It’s the same unit as in the shot with the ham radio gear.

straitwire 11-07-2020 09:29 PM

I haven't seen that picture bearcity, but It doesn't really matter what rectifier you use because the B+ is regulated.
You should try them all and see what you prefer sonically.

Comzee 11-09-2020 02:30 PM

https://i.imgur.com/TxbQqDX.jpg

Was curious about SS rectifiers, so I got some :)

Tube Depot Diodes = sucks. Lifeless sound, closed in stage, diminished transients and detail
5018 = Decent, neutral to tilted slightly warm, a big step above Depot SS
5019 = Really warm and thick. Still better than Depot SS, but behind 5018.

All of these are a few tiers below even my worst tube rectifiers.
One common factor for all the SS is a massive diminishing of stage presence, width, depth, realism, air.

#1 I'm not sure how using a tube socketed SS device compares to a (built to purpose) regular SS supply. I can say tho, when applying SS rectifiers to what is designed to be a tube PSU, they do not perform well.
#2 If you have a tube PSU, you can confidently never think about getting an SS tube replacement. Performance isn't there even over a $25 Sovtek gz34.

Does make me think about this phrase I've heard thrown around, "It's not a real tube amp without a tube rectifier".

Simonatsea 11-13-2020 01:49 AM

I’ve been out of the loop for a while, but I like what I’m seeing come out of the toy shop...CJ5!

I’ve got the tube bug again. I have an original 6V6er amp driven by an LP.2.
My current favourite driver tube is my Phillips holland 6sn7gt. And my hungry speaker enjoy the drive of the EI KT90’s.

I have been looking at the shuguang WE6SN7 Plus tubes as well as the WE KT88 Plus tubes...
Has anyone experienced these in an inspire?

I have the CV181-T and find its soundstage flat and 2D. But other Chinese tubes like the sophia 274 mesh plate and the TJ full music 6SL7 I have quite liked.

Just a little weary to spend good money on Chinese tubes Without knowledge for how they fare in inpire amps.

Thoughts?

Cheers