AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Inspire by Dennis Had (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=184)
-   -   Dennis Had Inspire Amps (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=24170)

rmlowz 07-28-2020 05:11 PM

The driver tube is 6SL7GT is this what you calling input tube? I am very new to this tube amp technology, the rectifier tube is 5U4G I ordered a 5AR4 and another 5U4GB I also ordered
Psvane EL34B and some 6N3C that a friend told me about that he likes. I wish I had patience. Your giving good advice LOL. I will try 6N6C tonight with some Klipsch K510 horn speakers that I made. The F15s are down for renovation. I took them out of the small baffles to see if they would fit in the new baffles before I started painting
rmlowz

rmlowz 07-28-2020 05:23 PM

FloridaBoy I am giving you a hard time you are telling me to have patience before I buy another Inspire, I just noticed that said you purchased the latest offering from Mr. Had stating you now have three !!!

oldominion 07-28-2020 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FloridaBoy (Post 1010039)
FWIW, the 807's I have tried have been problematic. Where did you buy yours?

Viva Tubes so I know I will get a replacement set no questions asked...will be exchanged for another pair of matched Mullards. THe first had the big bad buzz and also a little interesting blue light show...? Which I've never seen before.
Any other info about buying the 807 you may be able to offer will be appreciated.

x3workshop 07-28-2020 05:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by FloridaBoy (Post 1010039)
FWIW, the 807's I have tried have been problematic. Where did you buy yours?

I've never had any issues with any of the 807's that I've tried - GE, RCA, Russian.

x3workshop 07-28-2020 05:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by FloridaBoy (Post 1009962)
I just bought the 45/2A3 amp Dennis recently listed. It's a disease with no cure. :thumbsup:

I didn't see the listing. Was it a PSET 45? Here's mine.

Attachment 62535

bearcity 07-28-2020 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmlowz (Post 1010046)
I had small baffles at first for the F15s. I am now making bigger baffles. I put them in primer today when I get done I will post pics. I have a Cambridge Audio CXA60 and went to the Inspire WOW what a difference more separation, clarity and a bigger sound stage with the F15s I am using Gold Lion KT 66. I have placed a order for different tubes. I want to buy another Inspire a newer version to see if it makes a difference in the 2014 model I have
rmlowz

I’m currently working on a f15 project. My first baffle yielded zero base. Rework in progress. Spent the middle of today working up a design based to Steve Deckert’s ZOB. Hope to get one milled out this weekend. It is beyond me how a 15” driver can have the speed it does.

rmlowz 07-28-2020 06:16 PM

I am making a design based on them also

bearcity 07-28-2020 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmlowz (Post 1010052)
I have been looking back at the various models of Inspire amps that have been built what is the one called Universal can you roll more tubes than other offerings?
rmlowz

The Universal is a triode application of Pentode tubes. The only one he has made that I know of that has opts not designed for a specific tube. I believe even the “Firebottle” has opts taylored to the KT88. Many others are labeled for specific tubes. That said, most of the Inspires running pentode (not 45s) will allow for most any Pentode. SET (Universal) or SEP (Firebottle,...) are have at it. Watch for red plating. Use a 5y3 with 6v6gs. Stay away from 6k6.

I own 3 Inspire amps currently. A 2013 KT which has been modified a couple times now and is currently a Universal (SET) w/IIPS and tube rectification. A PSE (SEP) which is currently at the Toy Factory being upgraded. New front end and paralleled coupling caps that I know of. Dennis has been joking that I will get it back in October or maybe December. I hope he is joking. Lastly I have an elusive new 6V6er (SEP). Not a model that has quite hit the market yet. Each is both unique and similar at the same time. It’s quiet obvious each came from the same ‘ear’. Like Florida Boy says they are all really good. I have a favorite but it is not always the same one. The only one of the 4 which was truly inferior was the original 2013 KT design. It was still wonderful.

rmlowz 07-28-2020 07:16 PM

Thanks for your reply I have a better understanding now of the Universal. I have a 2014 KT66
I think the universal might be the way to go. Do you know if it is available new?
rmlowz

FloridaBoy 07-29-2020 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bearcity (Post 1010062)
I’m currently working on a f15 project. My first baffle yielded zero base. Rework in progress. Spent the middle of today working up a design based to Steve Deckert’s ZOB. Hope to get one milled out this weekend. It is beyond me how a 15” driver can have the speed it does.

I did a search and found good info on baffle design. It appeard that you found it too ala Caintuck. How wide was your 'no bass' baffle?