AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Inspire by Dennis Had (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=184)
-   -   Dennis Had Inspire Amps (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=24170)

zbyte 02-01-2020 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bearcity (Post 994207)
Part of the fun when building one at a time. He can try different parts or designs at will and often without model change.
If you want to keep up with the line you will end up with a house full of Inspires. Dennis would like that. [emoji383][emoji383][emoji383]

Well, I do agree with his designs, part of all this and part of our own system tweaking and tube rolling etc. it is unexpected changes and SQ alterations, some people are always chasing the "elusive perfect SQ" the "ElDorado in audio" the "Holy Grail of sound" it doesn't exist :nono:

I have mainly a digital system and I am continuously testing DAC profiles,upsampling filters, audio reproduction software and operating systems, tube rolling on my preamp (which is only 6SN7 at this time), plugging ports on my speaker. The sound constantly changes sometimes for bad but most of the time just different, you gain and you lose at the same time on something most of the time.

Just the ability to do tube rolling and have different sound profiles (which are "not only EQ" BTW) but actual tonal changes, stage dimension and such makes this system extremely attractive to me.

IOW I trust Dennis and his design.

Thanks @Bearcity

straitwire 02-02-2020 12:52 PM

Hey zbyte, the 6FLV is the basic amp and the 6FLV-v is equipped with a volume pot in the front panel...straitwire

zbyte 02-02-2020 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by straitwire (Post 994277)
Hey zbyte, the 6FLV is the basic amp and the 6FLV-v is equipped with a volume pot in the front panel...straitwire

Thanks, of course v for volume, duh didn't figure out

Masterlu 02-02-2020 06:49 PM

zbyte... Welcome to AA! :wave:

zbyte 02-10-2020 09:31 AM

Quick question, on the CFLV amp the Tung-sol NOS 5881 (6L6WGB) can be used? probably like someone mentioned only with the 5Y3 correct?

straitwire 02-10-2020 10:35 AM

Hey zbyte, you don't have to use a 5Y3 with 5881/6L6 's in the 6FLV you can use 5U4/274B's and it will be just fine.
Dennis actually prefers 5U4 type rectifiers in the 6FLV in so far as sound is concerned...straitwire

straitwire 02-10-2020 10:57 AM

Went to a listening session at Analog Addicts "Man Cave" with bearcity and Dennis, and we brought along some new toys...

[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/20Ib7bJ.jpg[/IMG]

The new LP-76 preamp and the new 6V6'er amp...straitwire...:rock-on:

zbyte 02-10-2020 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by straitwire (Post 994983)
Hey zbyte, you don't have to use a 5Y3 with 5881/6L6 's in the 6FLV you can use 5U4/274B's and it will be just fine.
Dennis actually prefers 5U4 type rectifiers in the 6FLV in so far as sound is concerned...straitwire

I was following this quote
"The old production 6L6G, GA's and 6V6G's can be magical. Use only a 5y3 rectifier with these"

That's why I thought the 5U4 would not do, as a matter of fact Brent Jessee quote regarding the 5881
" They can replace any 6L6 type except for the GC, 7581, or KT66. They MAY POSSIBLY be used as a sub for these tubes, but ONLY if your amp does not exceed the ratings of the 5881! Most amps calling for a 6L6GC type will exceed these ratings and the 5881 may overheat or arc over, so check first before subbing these"

So the 5881 ratings are not the same as the GC

But if you are saying the 5U4 can be used with the 5881 then it is good, I just don't want them to arc over and get damaged

zbyte 02-10-2020 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by straitwire (Post 994984)
Went to a listening session at Analog Addicts "Man Cave" with bearcity and Dennis, and we brought along some new toys...

[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/20Ib7bJ.jpg[/IMG]

The new LP-76 preamp and the new 6V6'er amp...straitwire...:rock-on:

Very nice @straitwire, I have that amp, still trying to figure out what to roll. Honestly the sound with the tubes Dennis supplied is super good.

This is what I sent Dennis with my first impressions, he never replied back (not much of a chatter ;-) what I think it is great about this amp is that "technically" you don't need a pre per se. I am planning to add one but ...

"Wow Dennis, this is a fine masterpiece, I'm speechless, the black glossy finish wow awesome looking, the bubble wrap packing whoever makes the bubble wrap should send you something for Christmas because you used plenty and packed the amp extra well, one of the best packings I have seen.

The weight on the amp, ohhhh Lord, those transformers are pro stuff, no blemishes just perfect, the contacts in the back perfect, beautiful beatiful piece. Nice touch signing the bottom same color as the front plate, very personal and very special. This thing is built like a tank, good ole American craftsmanship

I am very very surprised so far. Apologies if I can't express myself properly, English is not my native language

I am thrilled with this unit.

If you allow me I will spam you with some more emails with my impressions, hope you don't mind.

Thank you so much, I'm so excited, New toy, Christmas in February "

"Adding to my initial impression.

Tubes will fit in the sockets just perfect, some amps the tubes will be loose some others you need a hammer to get the tubes properly inserted, these sockets are just perfect.

Now connecting my pre I just realized my pre is fully balanced no single ended outputs except for tape rec out which is single ended, need an adapter but just remembered your amp has volume control which makes it kind of a pre as well, added convenience.
Connected the tape mon output and I'm playing music right now, very clear, very smooth, volume it's just perfect I don't think I need anymore spl, I was concerned before but not anymore

I will keep listening, the amp is wonderful, and all the possibilities with rolling tubes it is exceptional."

"Connected the amp directly to my dac with no pre, just perfect, I'm planning to use the pre of course but my system sounds completely different now (really good and just different} the pre added coloration or should I say specific tonality now I am going straight to your amp from the source.

Bass is surprisingly good, who said tube amps can't do bass?
This sounds surprisingly good, natural, tubes are quiet as a church mouse.
Maybe a little, very little bloom on strings, vocals are natural not distorted very natural, so it is the piano.

Very nice Dennis"

straitwire 02-11-2020 12:54 PM

Hey zbyte, Dennis designed the power supply to run a nominal regulated 260 VDC to the screen grid of the output tubes no matter what rectifier you use.
The screen voltage remains constant at approximately 260 VDC.
This is one of the main reasons it is so easy to tube roll with an Inspire amplifier.
Regulated screen voltage is absolutely critical for the sonic merits of Dennis's designs...straitwire