AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Inspire by Dennis Had (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=184)
-   -   Dennis Had Inspire Amps (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=24170)

straitwire 06-23-2018 02:12 PM

PSE monoblocks, second pair

I'll show just one channel so the pictures are close ups.

...stuffed...
[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/1hwvRnN.jpg[/IMG]

...ground...
[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/hqE3zLt.jpg[/IMG]

...filament...
[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/rXXP9KQ.jpg[/IMG]

...B+, cathode, coax, feedback, shield...
[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/JMkwIvi.jpg[/IMG]

The transformers are painted and ready to go, and I'll have the rest of the parts soon...straitwire

decooney 06-24-2018 04:25 PM

Trying different type and length Interconnects with Inspire

Question to all Inspire owners. I don't mean to get off track too much, but this question and finding seems to also change the sound to a notable degree within my system. I'm enjoying rediscovering different interconnects, sounds, because of the inspire. I'm messing with RCAs between the preamp and amp and and my sources all over again since realizing notable changes to sound with this newer inspire. Kinda fun.

In my system, I noticed the Inspire can be sensitive and benefited by different type and different length of RCA interconnects. Maybe it has to do with capacitance, I don't know. What do know and hear is difference to sound with changes. I wanted to try this with all of the stock KT150 tubes that came with my Inspire unit. Kinda cool how it can be further tuned with cables alone. Also noticed how it can degrade sound and become less engaging by going with generic low grade cables too.

So far, I'm trying different type (silver, copper) and varying length interconnects from .75m to 1.5m so far with capacitance between 15 to 25 pF. While I've noticed changes on my other amplifiers, it seems to be even more evident (positively/negatively, for whatever added voodoo magic reason) on my Inspire Hot Rod KT150. I may try some 2m+ pure copper interconnects next between the preamp and amp.

Or, you can tell me I'm full of it, makes no difference, that's okay too, feedback is feedback. :)

Anyone else happen to encounter more noticeable changes with the Inspire? Did you find any benefit going with longer than 1.5m interconnects on yours?

Musica Amantem 06-25-2018 12:17 AM

Purist rule of thumb: The shorter the interconnects' length, the less potential for these to work as an antenna for EMI. Besides, the shorter the signal path, the better preservation of the original source signal. And, yes, different metals sound different. In general, silver-prominent cables are brighter and more detailed than copper-prominent mixtures, which tend to be warmer and more forgiving, OTBE. Trial-and-error is suggested for each particular setup.

decooney 06-25-2018 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Musica Amantem (Post 920277)
Purist rule of thumb: The shorter the interconnects' length, the less potential for these to work as an antenna for EMI. Besides, the shorter the signal path, the better preservation of the original source signal. And, yes, different metals sound different. In general, silver-prominent cables are brighter and more detailed than copper-prominent mixtures, which tend to be warmer and more forgiving, OTBE. Trial-and-error is suggested for each particular setup.

I use to run very short cables across the board on everything, or whenever I could. In the past decade or so noticed several colleagues who've been running tube gear for 60+ years all using longer runs, particularly with interconnects. Intentionally. Finally tried it recently and found interesting results, and this also what inspired the questions. Curious to know if others here do the same.

FloridaBoy 06-25-2018 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by decooney (Post 920226)
Question to all Inspire owners. I don't mean to get off track too much, but this question and finding seems to also change the sound to a notable degree within my system. I'm enjoying rediscovering different interconnects, sounds, because of the inspire. I'm messing with RCAs between the preamp and amp and and my sources all over again since realizing notable changes to sound with this newer inspire. Kinda fun.

In my system, I noticed the Inspire can be sensitive and benefited by different type and different length of RCA interconnects. Maybe it has to do with capacitance, I don't know. What do know and hear is difference to sound with changes. I wanted to try this with all of the stock KT150 tubes that came with my Inspire unit. Kinda cool how it can be further tuned with cables alone. Also noticed how it can degrade sound and become less engaging by going with generic low grade cables too.

So far, I'm trying different type (silver, copper) and varying length interconnects from .75m to 1.5m so far with capacitance between 15 to 25 pF. While I've noticed changes on my other amplifiers, it seems to be even more evident (positively/negatively, for whatever added voodoo magic reason) on my Inspire Hot Rod KT150. I may try some 2m+ pure copper interconnects next between the preamp and amp.

Or, you can tell me I'm full of it, makes no difference, that's okay too, feedback is feedback. :)

Anyone else happen to encounter more noticeable changes with the Inspire? Did you find any benefit going with longer than 1.5m interconnects on yours?

I must be full of something to because I notice a difference with IC's and speaker wire. I use one meter IC's. A lot of $$$ wire is, IMHO, over rated. I have settled on Belden 8402 with Switchcraft RCA's. They are available on the auction site for $64.95 for a 1 meter pair. For speaker wire I like the simple tinned copper and use bare ends. I have tried the WE, Duelund and Supra 1.6. The Supra was $28 delivered from the auction site. Here is an interesting read.

http://theaudiobeatnik.com/my-opinio...interconnects/

Bottom line: The Inspire gear is top notch. Experiment and trust your ears. :thumbsup:

Musica Amantem 06-25-2018 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by decooney (Post 920279)
I use to run very short cables across the board on everything, or whenever I could. In the past decade or so noticed several colleagues who've been running tube gear for 60+ years all using longer runs, particularly with interconnects. Intentionally. Finally tried it recently and found interesting results, and this also what inspired the questions. Curious to know if others here do the same.

I believe you. Sound-wise, anything goes. Given the burden of juggling so many possible open alternative paths, I stick to the purist principle. Just a practical and sound-proven approach.

decooney 06-28-2018 10:17 AM

Question - re: preamp

Do any of you guys know of a simple (new or used) single source tube preamp that would be a good match for the little Inspire KT150 Hot Rod?

-I can't keep swapping my Cary SLP-98 in/out from my other amp to the Inspire.
-A clean and simple little tube preamp (with correct output voltage) would be great.

Thanks ahead for your ideas and responses.

Bombadil 06-28-2018 08:01 PM

Recommending a preamp is a difficult assignment. There's a lot more to it than just gain, as I'm sure you know. A lot of system synergy and personal preference is involved. Would you want it to sound a lot like your Cary SLP-98? That preamp has a reputation of sounding a little "tubey"/smooth with great vocals.

Formerly YB-2 06-28-2018 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by decooney (Post 920688)
Question - re: preamp

Do any of you guys know of a simple (new or used) single source tube preamp that would be a good match for the little Inspire KT150 Hot Rod?

Thanks ahead for your ideas and responses.

Am quite pleased with the Schiit Valhalla 2 as a single-source preamp/head-phone amp. Like the tubeset it uses and does a good job on my HD-650 cans. For $349 new, not much of a risk.

decooney 07-01-2018 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 (Post 920771)
Am quite pleased with the Schiit Valhalla 2 as a single-source preamp/head-phone amp. Like the tubeset it uses and does a good job on my HD-650 cans. For $349 new, not much of a risk.

Cool. Thanks for the lead. While it's not a DH preamp, and I'd love to have one, this little Schiit :) could work while the Inspire is out of rotation. Chatted with Dennis briefly over messages and he offered some ideas too. Spoke to another fella today who moved from a CJ preamp to the LP27a and he indicated it drove the Inspire amp and speakers much better. Def worth noting in consideration.