AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Inspire by Dennis Had (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=184)
-   -   Dennis Had Inspire Amps (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=24170)

Musica Amantem 08-08-2017 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosco65 (Post 860705)
There are two issues with stated efficiency:

1. Credibility of the source. We are required to trust the manufacturer's stated efficiency on its face. That is fine for those who are honest about their efficiency ratings, but for manufacturers who like to stretch the truth they can make any assertion they like.

2. Conditions under which the stated efficiency is measured. Sadly, most manufacturers do not couch their efficiency figures in standard terms. That means providing both the frequency range and bandwidth (e.g., +- 3dB). One speaker I own is rated for 94dB efficiency and 8 ohms impedance. However, in reality this speaker is only 94dB efficient from 500hz to 5,000hz. If we were to require it to be measured from 100hz to 10,000hz the actual efficiency would be closer to 90dB -0dB +4dB.

Your Tektons may be 98dB efficient over some point in their frequency range, but probably are less efficiency over the frequency range most of us would consider "full range"

Yes, I'm aware of that, and thanks for your thoughts, but based on my familiarity with them, I do not believe the difference is 6 dB. After all, that would imply doubling power requirements twice in a row (binomial exponential). No marketing scheme could mask that reality. Tekton's niche is with medium-powered amps (at least those speakers rated at 98/1W/1M @ 8 Ohms). Based on another pair of speakers I use alternately, my best guess is my Tektons have a net avg sensitivity of 95 dB.

Bombadil 08-08-2017 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Musica Amantem (Post 860700)
I know there have been some people testing the Tekton Lore's in some forums with some arguments on both sides ... Is that what you mean with these being consistently 92 dBs?

I can't really believe there is such a difference between the marketed 98 dB and the 92 you cited. Maybe different model speakers?

I'm referring to bench tests of Tekton's speakers. For example in this Stereophile bench tests, a Tekton Enzo XL, spec'ed at 96.5dB, was measured to be just 90.6dB.
https://www.stereophile.com/content/...r-measurements

Same has been true in other bench tests of Tekton speakers, consistently measuring at 5.5 to 6.0 dB under the specs that Tekton claims.

No one polices loudspeaker specs. Manufacturers can claim pretty much whatever they want to. Tekton uses an Eminence B102 woofer/midrange in several of their speakers. Eminence specs this driver at 92dB. But when Tekton puts it into a speaker, they still spec the speaker at 97 to 98dB. Zu does the same thing, using the exact same driver.

Musica Amantem 08-08-2017 09:24 PM

Well, so be it. It's all a moot point anyway as my Inspire make them sing in my setup with small ensembles and acoustic Jazz. The point is, classical orchestral music requires either a much more powerful amp, or true 110 dB sensitivity speakers.

Bombadil 08-08-2017 09:24 PM

Let's look at a group of five speakers.

Paradigm 95F spec'ed at 91dB
Tekton Enzo XL spec'ed at 96.5dB
Zu Soul Supreme spec'ed at 97dB
DeVore Orangutan O/96 spec'ed at 96dB
Goldenear Triton Five spec'ed at 90dB

Someone looking for a higher efficiency speaker would cut the list down to the Tekton, Zu, and DeVore. But how do they really measure?

Paradigm 95F - 92.0dB
Tekton Enzo XL - 90.6dB
Zu Soul Supreme - 91.5dB
Devore Orangutan - 90.6dB
Goldenear Triton Five - 90.8dB

We see that they are all very close to being equally efficient, with the Paradigm actually being the most efficient. With Paradigm and Goldenear slightly understating their efficiency, while Zu, DeVore, and Tekton significantly exaggerating their efficiency.

Bombadil 08-08-2017 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosco65 (Post 860703)
I own a number of medium to high efficiency speakers. What are you using right now?

I am using a custom modified Von Schweikert tower. It started life as a model VR-4, but was upgraded by the speaker designer himself to a model VR-7. It is very similar - 4 drivers are the same, one was slightly modified, the crossover was tweaked (mine has the V-Cap, Hovland, Analyst Plus wiring & nearly all of the stuff described in this review) and the cabinet is slightly different - but mine is much uglier, to what became the VR-5 Anniversary speaker, which sold for $27,000 and was reviewed here:
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Iss...nniversary.htm

When the designer upgraded mine, he took them into their sound chamber and tweaked it himself until he thought it was perfect. He owed me a favor and this was his way of repaying me. A favor which is still repaying me.

In the end, it is not quite up to the standards of the VR-5 Anniversary, but it is satisfyingly close.

Musica Amantem 08-09-2017 08:28 AM

Well, unless the speakers are horn-laden I wouldn't trust any as truly high sensitive (i.e., 98 dB and upwards), in spite of their claimed specs. Given current speaker prices, I rather invest in a good high-power amp. Then, I would have a great setup for each music genre.

FloridaBoy 08-09-2017 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bombadil (Post 860696)
Yes, I am familiar with these too. Tekton consistently tests at 92dB. Omega is okay for what they are. Neither of these lines are close to what I already own. It would be difficult for me to step so far backwards in overall sound quality in order to gain a few dB in efficiency.

For you, more watts is the answer. :thumbsup:

Analog Addict 08-10-2017 11:03 PM

Something to consider for those wanting to stay with their Inspire amps and run efficient speakers.

https://greatplainsaudio.com/wp-cont...604_8H_III.pdf

Dennis has engineered a crossover for the Altec 604-8G that sounds fantastic and should also work well with the GPA 604-8H. I don't know what you all are spending on speakers, but I believe a pair of these run $2K a pair or so.

FloridaBoy 08-11-2017 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Analog Addict (Post 861079)
Something to consider for those wanting to stay with their Inspire amps and run efficient speakers.

https://greatplainsaudio.com/wp-cont...604_8H_III.pdf

Dennis has engineered a crossover for the Altec 604-8G that sounds fantastic and should also work well with the GPA 604-8H. I don't know what you all are spending on speakers, but I believe a pair of these run $2K a pair or so.

Mighty fine speakers! Cabinets?

timeout59 08-11-2017 12:05 PM

I agree and was wondering the same about cabinets. I like the Great Plains Audio web site. There is a page called Enclosures where they say:

Great Plains Audio has partnered with Speakers on Steroids in Atlanta, Georgia, to offer custom cabinetry and complete vintage Altec-Lansing loudspeaker systems. Whether you’re looking for a set of new Model 19 cabinets, a complete Model 19, or something custom, we can provide it.