AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Inspire by Dennis Had (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=184)
-   -   Dennis Had Inspire Amps (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=24170)

x3workshop 12-05-2016 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Analog Addict (Post 817953)
Funny how this topic has come up. During the tail end of my afternoon session with Dennis last Friday, we spent a lot of time talking over the music, over an hour and a half of serious heat to heart discussion. One of the topics we discussed was my collection of audio gear and how at this point (with his help and guidance) I can build equipment that sounds better than any of this TOTL vintage gear. I sold my MC 225 not too long ago, and will most likely liquidate almost all of my acquired equipment. I have a bunch more Mc gear, and the complete H/K Citation series (I-V), plus a number of Altec amps, Dynaco Mk VIs, etc. I will prolly keep a few of the high output pieces, but unless I were to rebuild the vintage pieces completely, with all new passive components, I could never have the complete reliability I have with my own custom built from the ground up amps and pre amps. Plus the sound is sublime, better than anything I've heard out of the vintage pieces. Yeah, I prolly won't get the amount of cash for one of my amps that I could for my pair of MC 75s or Cit II, but what exactly is the goal here?

The goal is beautifully reproduced sound. No question. Everything else we do to get there can make it all that much more fun. :D

x3workshop 12-05-2016 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bombadil (Post 817973)
Over this past year I considered purchasing any number of classic amps. I do like many of them. But I backed off on several Mc's, Cit II, various ST70 riffs, and more because I just wasn't convinced that any of them would sound as good as these modernized SE amps. Why drop $3K or more on an amp which I would probably not use much?

Now if I was going to spend $10K+, I'd certainly look at other newer production amps. But I believe I've left my desire for the vintage stuff behind me.

Ah, you've hit on another element of the addiction ... er.. journey to sonic bliss. The score!

I wouldn't pay $3K (or even half that) for a vintage amp either. Each piece I own I was able to find for very little money. Less than the Inspire separates by a good amount. Takes patience and being in the right place at the right time.

I'm fortunate to have a decent set of skills and the proper tools to rebuild everything with modern components so that they sound truly wonderful - better than when they came off the line. I would say I enjoy the rebuilding as much as the listening. Makes it that much sweeter for me.

I like AA's idea of building his own to his specs. I'm not quite there yet, perhaps soon.

I also love hearing what others are trying with their setups, specifically the Inspire gear. There is so much value in these pieces and we're lucky to have them - even at two or three times the price.

Bombadil 12-05-2016 09:40 PM

If I could fix & mod equipment, I'm sure I would have collected a lot more over the years. I've come across several deals which I passed on due to not being able to restore it myself and not being willing to pay the price to have it restored.

x3workshop 12-06-2016 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bombadil (Post 818037)
If I could fix & mod equipment, I'm sure I would have collected a lot more over the years. I've come across several deals which I passed on due to not being able to restore it myself and not being willing to pay the price to have it restored.

Not as difficult as you might think and you know how good members of this and that other forum are at giving assistance. Soldering iron, DMM, cutters and some needle nose pliers and you're on your way. Saves alot of time, money and missed opportunities.:yes:

Bombadil 12-06-2016 11:48 AM

I am very familiar with the soldering process. My father was a radio/stereo/TV repairman in the 50s and 60s. I grew up around all that equipment. I own two soldering irons and a lot of associated equipment, including a nice Fluke multimeter. I've made many simple repairs over the years. However I have terrible fine motor skills in my hands. I cannot hold the soldering iron steady enough to do more than the simplest tasks. Alas.

x3workshop 12-06-2016 12:38 PM

I misunderstood your prior post. Apologies for making the wrong assumption. You must've picked up some good knowledge from your father.

Analog Addict 12-06-2016 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bombadil (Post 818149)
I am very familiar with the soldering process. My father was a radio/stereo/TV repairman in the 50s and 60s. I grew up around all that equipment. I own two soldering irons and a lot of associated equipment, including a nice Fluke multimeter. I've made many simple repairs over the years. However I have terrible fine motor skills in my hands. I cannot hold the soldering iron steady enough to do more than the simplest tasks. Alas.

I'm afraid that's really no excuse. Dennis has a significant essential tremor. I am always amazed how well he has learned to compensate for it. However, it makes me nervous when he is attaching jumper or measuring clips underneath a live amp though....don't get me wrong. It's not alack of empathy, it's more a matter of doing what you really want to do, despite the obstacles...

Zimmer 12-09-2016 04:46 PM

Incoming tubes for me. Pope 6V6s from upscale, with a telefunken 7DJ8 that can be used in the phono preamp as well. And a 1958 GE 5U4GB rectifier from Tube Depot. There may be more. 8^)

Also talked to Dennis and I will be sending the amp in for the IIPS conversion shortly. It will be a matter of memory for the before an after, based upon a year plus of before listening.

x3workshop 12-09-2016 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zimmer (Post 818789)
Incoming tubes for me. Pope 6V6s from upscale, with a telefunken 7DJ8 that can be used in the phono preamp as well. And a 1958 GE 5U4GB rectifier from Tube Depot. There may be more. 8^)

Also talked to Dennis and I will be sending the amp in for the IIPS conversion shortly. It will be a matter of memory for the before an after, based upon a year plus of before listening.

You will like the after better than the before.:yes:

nhparrot 12-10-2016 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zimmer (Post 818789)
Incoming tubes for me. Pope 6V6s from upscale.

You will like the Pope's, one of my favorite 6V6's