AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Inspire by Dennis Had (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=184)
-   -   Dennis Had Inspire Amps (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=24170)

jdandy 03-16-2016 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pstrisik (Post 767431)

Check out his website; he has quite a bit of educational info there if you do some digging; look for links in the text of the product descriptions. Email or call him for consult or visit the discussion thread (very long - don't try to read it all!) - avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoofers-bass-transducers/1214550-official-rythmik-audio-subwoofer-thread.html.

I believe the links are permitted as long as they are not live.

Peter.......You are correct, and thanks.

Musica Amantem 03-17-2016 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BearCityUSA (Post 766581)
I am also using Omegas, the Super 7 Monitor MK2. They are rated 95db into 8ohms. When I got my Inspires I was pushing Epos es14s, mid 90's vintage, at 86db into 8ohms. Listening room was identical. The Epos were a bit timid. The notes were there but without as much life as the Omegas. This setup is in my office and I have neighbors so higher volume is not so much the issue. I have lately inserted a sub (pinnacle baby boomer) after reading a post on the Omega forum. Never been much of a sub/mains fan for audio. In fact this sub was borrowed from my video system. Now I see the reason and I understand Peter's endeavors. The Omegas driven by the inspire with the appropriate tube combo is sublime. The sub just fills out the lower extreme and just adds to the experience. Of course since this is my office listening is not often my primary focus though I do get annoyed as the phone rings and I have to turn the volume down.

I'm sorry I did not read your argument earlier. I think this proves the Alnico Monitors rated at 95 dBs @ 8 Ohms would be enough for my Inspire setup, given your room reference is like mine, as you said. What is your Sub crossover set at (60 Hz, 80 Hz, 100 Hz)? Thanks for the hint!

Zimmer266 03-17-2016 09:05 AM

Hello to all and thank you for this thread. I believe I have read it in entirety, but I would decline to take a test that was not open book. I have been the happy owner of a KT88 Inspire for several months, powering a pair of Vandersteen 1b speakers, which are reportedly 91db sensitivity for 1 watt.

The recent discussion of speakers encouraged me to join, although I have notes on my desk for tube shopping, based upon everyone's efforts and thoughts.

I'd like to move the Vandersteens to another system, and bring in one of the more efficient offerings from Omega or Tekton. The room is 11 x 13, and the music is pretty diverse, although I do enjoy when a system does justice to both Bill Evans and Pink Floyd.

I have considered picking up the latest version of the Vandersteens, but there may be more interesting offerings that would pair well with Dennis Had's amps.

Masterlu 03-17-2016 09:12 AM

Zimmer266... Welcome to AA! :wave:

Zimmer266 03-17-2016 05:44 PM

Thanks for the welcome! And respect for your systems.

Musica Amantem 03-17-2016 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zimmer266 (Post 767749)
Hello to all and thank you for this thread. I believe I have read it in entirety, but I would decline to take a test that was not open book. I have been the happy owner of a KT88 Inspire for several months, powering a pair of Vandersteen 1b speakers, which are reportedly 91db sensitivity for 1 watt.

The recent discussion of speakers encouraged me to join, although I have notes on my desk for tube shopping, based upon everyone's efforts and thoughts.

I'd like to move the Vandersteens to another system, and bring in one of the more efficient offerings from Omega or Tekton. The room is 11 x 13, and the music is pretty diverse, although I do enjoy when a system does justice to both Bill Evans and Pink Floyd.

I have considered picking up the latest version of the Vandersteens, but there may be more interesting offerings that would pair well with Dennis Had's amps.

Welcome to the forum! This is just my humble opinion, and there are many more informed people here, who I'm sure will elaborate more on your question.

I can only say my Tekton Lore 2.0's are great! I also consider the Alnico Super Monitors from Omega, based on previous research at the time I decided on the Tektons, a great choice. I just was not sure if the 95 dB's sensitivity from the Alnico's would make my amp (at the time a 4 watt Decware Mini Torii, which I still own) sing. This point now seems moot, as there is evidence of very positive experiences with the Inspire Gear and the Alnicos here.

I would say, you will be satisfied either way. Check out the Tekton Owners Forum at AudioKarma, for further experiences on the Tekton range of speakers and compare that to the Omega followers here and at their website.

FloridaBoy 03-18-2016 10:08 AM

1 Pair of Genalex GL KT66 (soon)
1 Psvane UK 6SN7 (soon)
1 additional Pair of Impact RCA IC's (soon)
1 pair of Copper Foil Jupiter Caps (0.022) (soon)
1 12" Rythmik Sub (Matte Black) (mid-term)
1 USB Regen unit (between Laptop & DAC) (mid-term)

I'll order the caps and will e-mail you about tubes. :D

Musica Amantem 03-18-2016 02:40 PM

FloridaBoy:

"I'll order the caps and will e-mail you about tubes."

Thanks for your support, Pilgrim!

robert_kc 03-19-2016 11:58 PM

I’ve acquired several new tubes to roll through my Inspire “Fire Bottle” SE Stereo Tube Amplifier HO:
Front-end
  • Genalex Gold Lion E88CC/6922 (new production from Russia)
  • 6N2P-EV (aka 6H2N-EB)
Power
  • Tung-Sol 7581A (6L6GC variant - new production from Russia)

Before acquiring these tubes, my favorite combination with my Klipsch RF-7 (and Oppo universal player) has been:
  • Substitute Amperex 6DJ8 for the 6CG7
  • Substitute Groove Tube Gold Series GT6L6 GE (performance rating 5) for KT88
  • Substitute 5AR4 for 5U4

My current preference depends on my mood. The 6DJ8 / GT6L6 GE combination listed above is still one of my favorites when I want a more “laid back” sound. OTOH, for a sound that is more “alive”, then the following combination works well with my RF-7’s:
  • 6N2P-EV
  • Gold Lion KT88
  • 5AR4 (I’ve been using a vintage Mullard recently – but I’m not sure that it makes a difference vs. a modern JJ)

The Tung-Sol 7581A is a good value and sounded good with the 6DJ8, but didn’t outperform the Groove Tube Gold Series GT6L6 GE in my system.

While the Genalex Gold Lion E88CC/6922 was not my favorite with either the KT88 or 6L6GC, it sounded good with both.

Bottom line, I’ve tried many different combinations (involving, in addition to the tubes already listed, 6N1P-EB and EL34). There were some other combinations that also sounded good – again depending on my mood.

Of course, your mileage will vary depending on your speakers, and your taste.

FYI, with every combination of tubes that I’ve tried thus far, the transformers have never gotten more than slightly warm.

I’m going to stop tube rolling for a while, before I wear out the tube sockets …

Simonatsea 03-20-2016 01:24 AM

Well I finally replaced my 4.7uf Taiwanese output coupling caps in my LP-2 with the 1.5uf Audyn Copper Max caps! And wow, initial impressions are flooring me. Listening to a few pieces of music I am very familiar with and they literally sound like different recordings. I am hearing cymbals that seem to linger forever, the wood creaking on the bridge or neck of the upright bass. All instruments are much clearer and fuller, truer to their sound. The sound stage has grown the background seems blacker and the proverbial vail has been removed. Again these are inital impresions running through my Mrspeaker Alpha Dog headphones directly off the speaker taps of my 6V6 amp. More to come, stay tuned. So far its an amazing transformation of an already stunning piece of audio equipment.
🍻