AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   ModWright Instruments (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   LS100 up and running. (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=11902)

DonBattles 01-14-2012 04:20 PM

LS100 up and running.

1 Attachment(s)
Just fired up the LA100 and I don't even know where to begin. Better detail and separation with a wider sound stage than my C220. Mid's are stronger as is the bottom end with more attack and decay. I tell you I cannot wait to see what a different CDP and phono stage will be able to accomplish. The gentleman I picked the LS100 from also had a Mullard GZ34 and two Sophia Electra 6SN7's, the recommended tube upgrades as per Modwright. They only have about 200 hrs on them so some additional break in is required. And not a bad deal at about half on regular MSRP.
So back to listening and boxing up the C220 for it's new owner. After that more research on CDP's while I watch the Saints and 49er's game :)

Pider 01-14-2012 05:40 PM

Congratulations!

I've heard of Modwright, but never really understood what folks were talking about. Just now went onto their web site. Interesting company and history. I see that a store near me has at least a pre-amp. I'll have to go have a listen.

Enjoy!

mraudio 01-17-2012 02:21 PM

I have a LS100 with the same Mullard GZ34, but chose the Shuguang Black Treasure CV-181"Z" over the Sophias. I put about 500 hours on each set before going back and forth. The Sophias are marvelous tubes. Had I started with them, (I started with the BT), I probably would have stopped. The BTs give me a little more warmth, sweetness, and are just a tad more romantic sounding, which is what I wanted.

Maybe if you get a chance down the road, try a pair of the BT's. I did try the new BT version (CV-181"T"), but liked the "Z" version better.

Whatever you end up with for tubes, this is a WONDERFUL preamp!

DonBattles 01-17-2012 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mraudio
I have a LS100 with the same Mullard GZ34, but chose the Shuguang Black Treasure CV-181"Z" over the Sophias. I put about 500 hours on each set before going back and forth. The Sophias are marvelous tubes. Had I started with them, (I started with the BT), I probably would have stopped. The BTs give me a little more warmth, sweetness, and are just a tad more romantic sounding, which is what I wanted.

Maybe if you get a chance down the road, try a pair of the BT's. I did try the new BT version (CV-181"T"), but liked the "Z" version better.

Whatever you end up with for tubes, this is a WONDERFUL preamp!

Thanks for adding your perspective! If the seller hadn't had the Mullard and the Sophia's I might have started another way but with less than 200 hrs on the tubes I couldn't let them pass @ $150 which is about what one Mullard would have cost. What I really to do it get se hrs on them and see how things open up.

AND WELCOME TO AF!!!!

tsv_1 03-02-2012 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonBattles (Post 253980)
Just fired up the LA100 and I don't even know where to begin. Better detail and separation with a wider sound stage than my C220. Mid's are stronger as is the bottom end with more attack and decay. I tell you I cannot wait to see what a different CDP and phono stage will be able to accomplish. The gentleman I picked the LS100 from also had a Mullard GZ34 and two Sophia Electra 6SN7's, the recommended tube upgrades as per Modwright. They only have about 200 hrs on them so some additional break in is required. And not a bad deal at about half on regular MSRP.
So back to listening and boxing up the C220 for it's new owner. After that more research on CDP's while I watch the Saints and 49er's game :)

Hi Don (and any other LS100 owners)

I'm new to the forum and realize this thread has been dormant for 6 wks or so, but thought I'd ask about your ongoing impressions of the LS100. I'm considering picking one up and very much appreciate owner's commentary after the pre has been in their system for a while ... i.e. is the honeymoon over or still unfolding :)

Thanks kindly,

Todd

tsv_1 03-05-2012 07:49 PM

Well... I just stepped over that line from consideration to check-writing. Will be receiving this bad boy in a week or so. Very excited to re-introduce valves into the signal path.

I've also decided to double down on well recorded SACD purchases. So next up, a rip-roaringly good SACD player will be ambling into the acquisition cross-hairs.

I'm considering an Oppo-BDP95 with MW truth-mod. Would be very interested to hear other's opinions on favorite SACD source equipment.

Cheers

http://cgim.audiogon.com/i/vs/i/f/1310273727.jpg

joeinid 03-05-2012 07:52 PM

Congratulations! Keep us updated.

Still-One 03-05-2012 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsv_1 (Post 278563)
Would be very interested to hear other's opinions on favorite SACD source equipment.

Cheers

http://cgim.audiogon.com/i/vs/i/f/1310273727.jpg

There are several of us here that are very happy with the overall performance of the MCD-1100. It is an great all around performer as a CD player, a DAC and SACD player.

Jim

jdandy 03-06-2012 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still-One (Post 278578)
There are several of us here that are very happy with the overall performance of the MCD-1100. It is an great all around performer as a CD player, a DAC and SACD player.

Jim.......A BIG +1.

davros 10-28-2012 05:49 AM

I have tried this pre on several occasions and it is a steal for the price. The LS100 in combination with the KWA 150 is a match made in heaven.
Highly recommended!