AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Sonus Faber (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Original Amati Homage vs Amati Futura - Need Your Expertise (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=42831)

John Clark 04-27-2018 04:11 PM

Original Amati Homage vs Amati Futura - Need Your Expertise

I am very familiar with the sound of the Amati Futura's. I've listened to them extensively at a friends of a friends home. Unfortunately, even used, I simply can't afford the Futura's.

For those of you who are familiar, can you describe the differences in sound between the Futura's, and the original Amati Homage speakers (circa 2000-2006)? Any input here would be greatly appreciated. Also, it would help if anyone could explain where the Amati Anniversarios, released in 2006 fit into the mix.

Also, I know the Futura's will perform superbly in a small to medium size room such as I have (13x15x7.5), can I expect that the Amati Homage and Anniversario, would also do well in that same room?

Thanks,

John

bigblue 04-28-2018 10:53 AM

IMO the earlier Amati speakers were richer and warmer that todays editions. The bass is less defined and the highs are "cuddlier". But it still sounds great in the voice department.

audioguy3107 04-28-2018 11:26 AM

John - here’s a link to Michael Fremer’s original review of the Amati Homage. This may give you a bit more insight as to the sound of the original. As Bigblue above said, the Homage was a bit fatter, warmer and less defined in the bass. I’ve heard both but it’s been quite awhile.

https://www.stereophile.com/floorlou...139/index.html

- Buck

John Clark 04-28-2018 02:42 PM

Thanks guys, your input is much appreciated.

I did read the Stereophile review that you noted of the original Homage, and a later one on the Anniversario. And, as I said before, I'm well aware of the sound of the Futura due to my time listening to them.

I currently have the Olympica III's and love their sound (just want more of it like its "big brother" the Futura delivers). My concern is that while I to tend to prefer warmer, richer speakers, having experienced the greater dynamics and bass control of the newer (post Serblin) SF sound, that started with the Olympica's and continues through the Futura's, the older sound may not appeal to me as much. And, as I noted before, the Futura's, used, are simply beyond my financial limits.

I suspect only the Anniversario with a different driver, and other changes might work for me, but really need someone very familiar with both it, and the Futura to provide their perspective.

John

jdandy 04-28-2018 03:10 PM

John.......I wouldn't trade my Sonus faber Amati Anniversario speakers for the Amati Homage or the Futura. The Sonus faber Amati Anniversario speakers are true audio jewels, so musical, so beautiful, so satisfying.

Take a few minutes to read my Sonus faber Amati Anniversario Review .

John Clark 04-28-2018 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 913037)
John.......I wouldn't trade my Sonus faber Amati Anniversario speakers for the Amati Homage or the Futura. The Sonus faber Amati Anniversario speakers are true audio jewels, so musical, so beautiful, so satisfying.

Take a few minutes to read my Sonus faber Amati Anniversario Review .

Dan, thanks VERY much for directing me to your review and all the rest of the discussion. It's great that you have found the speakers you are this attached to. It was extremely informative! Do you feel that your Anniversario provide solid, taut bass for rock music? Many of the older models were a bit less than ideal in that area.

John

jdandy 04-28-2018 10:14 PM

John.......The bottom end on the Amati Anniversario's is solid and goes deep, and yes it is taut and fast, but like any great speaker it cannot reproduce what the source doesn't deliver. If the source has a rocking bass, the Anniversario's will deliver. Also, like any other high-end speaker, proper setup in the room is essential. Once I established the correct positions for my speakers the room became perfectly pressurized and coupled with the woofers.

Prior to installing the Anniversario's I owned the Sonus faber Guarneri Memento speakers. The low end was decent to just about 48 Hz. Below that point the GM's rolled off rapidly. I supplemented the lowest octave with a pair of McIntosh XLS112 powered subwoofers and used a Bryston 10B Sub active crossover to route everything below 50 HZ to the subs. The Memento's opened up when they no longer were struggling to reproduce the lowest octave, and the total presentation was excellent. When I got the Amati Anniversario's the bottom end went considerable lower with more power so the subwoofers were removed from the two channel system. The Anniversario speakers are full range.

I have owned my Sonus faber Amati Anniversario speakers for nearly seven years. I am just as thrilled to listen to them today as I was when they arrived. I have powered them with many McIntosh amplifiers, one MC275 in stereo, a pair of MC275's in mono, an MC352, MC452, MC601's, and now I power them with a pair of MC2301 tube power amplifiers. Every amplifier drove the Anniversario's without any issues and sounded fabulous.

If you shop around, you may be able to locate a nice pair of Amati Anniversario's in the price range of $18K, maybe even slightly less. They originally retailed for $30K. I can tell you this much about my speakers. If someone were to offer me full new retail for my Anniversario's, I would turn them down. That's how much I love these speakers. They will be with me to the end of my days.

Masterlu 04-28-2018 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 913078)
John.......The bottom end on the Amati Anniversario's is solid and goes deep, and yes it is taut and fast, but like any great speaker it cannot reproduce what the source doesn't deliver. If the source has a rocking bass, the Anniversario's will deliver. Also, like any other high-end speaker, proper setup in the room is essential. Once I established the correct positions for my speakers the room became perfectly pressurized and coupled with the woofers.

Prior to installing the Anniversario's I owned the Sonus faber Guarneri Memento speakers. The low end was decent to just about 48 Hz. Below that point the GM's rolled off rapidly. I supplemented the lowest octave with a pair of McIntosh XLS112 powered subwoofers and used a Bryston 10B Sub active crossover to route everything below 50 HZ to the subs. The Memento's opened up when they no longer were struggling to reproduce the lowest octave, and the total presentation was excellent. When I got the Amati Anniversario's the bottom end went considerable lower with more power so the subwoofers were removed from the two channel system. The Anniversario speakers are full range.

I have owned my Sonus faber Amati Anniversario speakers for nearly seven years. I am just as thrilled to listen to them today as I was when they arrived. I have powered them with many McIntosh amplifiers, one MC275 in stereo, a pair of MC275's in mono, an MC352, MC452, MC601's, and now I power them with a pair of MC2301 tube power amplifiers. Every amplifier drove the Anniversario's without any issues and sounded fabulous.

If you shop around, you may be able to locate a nice pair of Amati Anniversario's in the price range of $18K, maybe even slightly less. They originally retailed for $30K. I can tell you this much about my speakers. If someone were to offer me full new retail for my Anniversario's, I would turn them down. That's how much I love these speakers. They will be with me to the end of my days.

Dan... well time sure flies, and I’m always happy to hear the love hasn’t faded. :)

jdandy 04-29-2018 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 913087)
Dan... well time sure flies, and I’m always happy to hear the love hasn’t faded. :)

Ivan.......The Amati Anniversario's are the best purchase I have made with you. I am so glad the opportunity was presented to me. Many thanks.

John Clark 04-29-2018 02:08 PM

Just came across this in a discussion that started when the Anniversarios were released in 2006. Can anyone confirm that the following is correct?

"the drivers of the new Amati Anniversario, are the same as Stradivari's (!!!) in tweeter and midrange and the woofers are the same type as Strad's but smaller from Seas. Practically is a smaller version of stradivari or a stradivari in a different box"

Thanks, John