AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Isolation, Tips & Tweaks (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Turntable isolation (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=29733)

jameslrock 01-05-2015 10:56 AM

Turntable isolation

I am enjoying the vintage turntables now that they are back from being refurbished. The issue I am having is a rumble caused from walking in the room. Need suggestions for a low cost approach to providing vibration isolation that can be placed under each turntable. The plinth base of the B&O 4002 is about 19"W x 14"D and the base of the PE3060 is about 16"W x 14"D. Each has four feet in each of the corners. Thanks.

dtmarc 01-05-2015 11:34 AM

Hello,
the best insulation for a turntable is the wall bracket.

audio bill 01-05-2015 12:02 PM

I have to agree with dtmarc. In applications where floor movement is causing audible performance issues with analog playback, a wall mounted turntable shelf is the best and least costly solution. You can experiment with other isolation feet and devices, but short of very expensive isolation platforms most such products will not resolve the problem.

jameslrock 01-05-2015 12:31 PM

I agree but the wall mount is not an option due to a number of reasons with location and access being the main factors. I am thinking some type of reasonably inexpensive isolation platform to be placed on the top shelf of the stand?

Mike82ARP 01-05-2015 12:37 PM

A real low cost isolation method is a bicycle tire tube, about 17-18” diameter. Inflate it partially so is only about half full. Place it under the platform supporting the t-t. You may have to adjust it a bit to level the table. A higher priced option wold be the Ginko Cloud which used complaint rubber balls to isolate from floor bounce.

crwilli 01-05-2015 12:44 PM

Wouldn't mass help as well? How about adding serious weight to the rack below the TT?

thomasagase 01-05-2015 02:04 PM

Years ago ( don't laugh to hard )
I used hand balls and fancy napkin rings .... worked pretty well
Before that, In High school days, I had my turntable suspended from the ceiling with fishing string, just a fraction of an inch above my rack, so it appeared to be sitting on top. ( did it mostly because I listened to it so loud, it would hum horrifically or skip )
A bit nutty. Worked excellent, but had to have a velvet touch changing LPs

:haa::

Meloski 02-20-2016 09:51 PM

i've had much success with a 1" thick maple cutting board and two racquet balls cut in half.

1KW 02-21-2016 10:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have mine mounted on the wall.

AudioGremlin 02-21-2016 12:51 PM

Probably a bit extreme. Supported by steel pipes that go through the floor into large builders buckets filled with cement. All the steel pipes are filled with dry sand.
Excellent isolation when the Infinity bass towers are plumbing the depths ☺