AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   PMC Speakers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   EB1i's without a sub (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=20839)

PMCH 04-27-2013 10:33 AM

EB1i's without a sub

I have been playing around with my system and the EB1's in particular recently. As you can see in my signature I have 2 JL f113's but after doing some tweeks recently I find myself not turning the f113's on with the EB1i's as much as I had previously. I recently tri-wired them with what must be better speaker wire over my old bi-wires. This really improved the bass response, it is very deep and tight.

The other thing I did was move the subs out of the way and pulled the speakers quite a bit into the room to give them a lot of air to breath.

Wow, the sound quality improved a lot, more detail, soundstage and an open airy sound. The only drawback is visually since they are now in the middle of the family room. My wife doesn't mind since she prefers the sound also. I'll just have to move them back a bit when company comes over so they don't get bumped into. I'm sure the addition of the new Esoteric K-03 has helped also.

In the interest of full disclosure, I have another pair of speakers coming in about a month that I liked the sound of. I will compare the new speakers (not to be disclosed yet) with the EB1i's to see which I prefer and sell which one I like least. Should be interesting, that way I can make the comparisons in my own space with my own equipment. Not sure if I want the EB1i's to win for me or the new speakers. Love the PMC's but can't stop myself from testing.

I think only members on this site won't think I am as crazy as everyone else does.

Pyro 04-27-2013 02:48 PM

I am not using a sub with my EB1i's at the moment. They really are some nice speakers. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Pyro 05-03-2013 02:50 PM

Paul,

Post a new picture to show your new speaker placement.

Thanks!

PMCH 05-21-2013 10:02 AM

Pyro,

I will post a picture once my wife takes it (she does all the digital pics). Of course we have to clean up the messy picture first. I have unconnected wires that show and subs that are not connected and just sitting in an unatractive area.

The sound is amazing though especially with my new interconnects.

jdandy 05-21-2013 03:23 PM

Paul.......The transmission design for the PMC EB1i has a measured response to 19Hz. I have tested the low frequency output of my EB1i's using the Rives CD2 Test CD. Playing the 20Hz test tone through the EB1's produces a 20 Hz output from the speakers. It is at a lower volume level than a 25Hz tone, but none the less the PMC's do produce the 20Hz tone. That says a lot about Peter Thomas' design. It is impressive. The entire frequency range and performance capabilities of the PMC EB1i are fabulous, in my opinion.

Earlier today I had about 200 watts into the PMC's with Johnny A. - Sometime Tuesday Morning playing from the Esoteric K-03. Super!

PMCH 05-21-2013 08:53 PM

Dan, the EB1i's are sounding better and better to me with more tweeks. I don't think my system can sound any better than it does now. Of course then I make a change and it does get better. The bass is very tight and deep to me and I haven't decided if I want to use the JL113's for the feel of the bass or just use the EB1i's for their purity as is. I can't loose either way.

Still have another pair of speakers coming to compare against the EB1i's, not sure which ones I will prefer. The EB1i's are hard to beat.

I usually listen at a moderate volume - more at the 1-6 watt range. I don't think I have ever gone over 60 watts and I don't have any neighbors. Wow 200 watts is really cranked up.

jdandy 05-21-2013 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PMCH (Post 494532)
I usually listen at a moderate volume - more at the 1-6 watt range. I don't think I have ever gone over 60 watts and I don't have any neighbors. Wow 200 watts is really cranked up.

Paul.......I have had my MC601's peaking 600 watts into the PMC EB1i's and they sound tremendous. Superb bass, spectacular dynamics, and a very clean mid and high frequency range. The EB1i's have no problem whatsoever with 600 watt peaks from the McIntosh MC601's.

Pyro 05-22-2013 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 494570)
Paul.......I have had my MC601's peaking 600 watts into the PMC EB1i's and they sound tremendous. Superb bass, spectacular dynamics, and a very clean mid and high frequency range. The EB1i's have no problem whatsoever with 600 watt peaks from the McIntosh MC601's.

:eek2:

Pyro 05-22-2013 08:22 AM

I like the purist sound of my EB1i's through my MC2301's. I have tried various runs through my MX150 using, Pure Stereo, Bypass, Global and Focus points.

Once I get a dedicated 2 CH Pre Amp I will be looking to integrate a sub back into the mix for some extra bass when I want it. But for the most part I will stick with no sub. :music:

PMCH 05-25-2013 01:14 PM

Cleaned things up a little bit and lovely wife took some pictures. The front face of the speakers are at 3 1/2 feet from the wall. I tried them at 4 1/2 feet and didn't notice them sounding better.

I haven't decide whether I am hooking up the subs in the future but the EB1is are sounding great as is.

Here are some pics from the left and right sides without subs.

I included a picture of them tri-wired and a picture of the 'rat's nest' behind the rack. Have to clean it up in the future.

http://www.audioaficionado.org/attac...b-p1050307.jpg