AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Travel & Leisure (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=130)
-   -   Grand Cayman & Havana (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=39616)

phishphan 06-09-2017 07:25 PM

Grand Cayman & Havana

Heading out tomorrow for the grand opening of Margaritaville Resort in Grand Cayman. Then we’re off to Havana. We rented a suite at the Hotel Nacional de Cuba.

GeAllan70 06-09-2017 07:46 PM

http://elanwonder.com/wp-content/upl...1/VivaCuba.jpg

Formerly YB-2 06-12-2017 02:58 PM

Looking forward to your thoughts on Havana. We've been wanting to go down, but haven't made it, yet.

BuffaloBill 06-12-2017 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phishphan (Post 850675)
Heading out tomorrow for the grand opening of Margaritaville Resort in Grand Cayman.

I would welcome your impressions of the new Margaritaville Resort on Grand Cayman. I own two condos in Sunset Cove Condos which is the development directly behind Margaritaville on the ocean.

crwilli 06-12-2017 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 (Post 851050)
Looking forward to your thoughts on Havana. We've been wanting to go down, but haven't made it, yet.

Glenn,

We just visited Havana from a cruise ship in April. Clean city, friendly people, lots of old cars all over the city. Glad we went. Bought some cigars but not quite what I was hoping for. Our ship excursions were all controlled by the government and we did not go to the top destinations which were advertised. Such as the Romeo & Julieta factory or the Cigar Aficionado number 1 rated Casa de Habano (cigar shop). Cruise line had no control over any of that but did advertise the better attractions. Bait and switch at its best with the government to blame.

My feeling is that in general, the city is not really ready for first rate tourism. The service is not there yet. However, if you are a little adventurous and speak passable Spanish, it would be nice to visit for a few days and travel by taxi around the city.

There are also reported to be some nice beach towns within a drive of Havana that are relatively untouched. But again, I suspect there are 2 star type accommodations there.

Craig

Formerly YB-2 06-13-2017 04:28 PM

Craig - thanks for the info. That is pretty much what we've been reading. Best way to see Cuba at the moment is via a cruise ship, and that seems problematic.

phishphan 06-17-2017 09:06 PM

Grand Cayman & Havana

Quote:

Originally Posted by crwilli (Post 851069)
Glenn,

We just visited Havana from a cruise ship in April. Clean city, friendly people, lots of old cars all over the city. Glad we went. Bought some cigars but not quite what I was hoping for. Our ship excursions were all controlled by the government and we did not go to the top destinations which were advertised. Such as the Romeo & Julieta factory or the Cigar Aficionado number 1 rated Casa de Habano (cigar shop). Cruise line had no control over any of that but did advertise the better attractions. Bait and switch at its best with the government to blame.

My feeling is that in general, the city is not really ready for first rate tourism. The service is not there yet. However, if you are a little adventurous and speak passable Spanish, it would be nice to visit for a few days and travel by taxi around the city.

There are also reported to be some nice beach towns within a drive of Havana that are relatively untouched. But again, I suspect there are 2 star type accommodations there.

Craig

Clean city? I thought it was filthy in most places. Garbage all over. The smell of open sewers. I was underwhelmed by the food.

The Hotel de Nacional was spectacular. And the cigar lounge was heavenly. Also a suite was only $240 a night.

crwilli 06-17-2017 09:49 PM

Grand Cayman & Havana

I guess clean is relative after being in Asia so long.

The city isn't just falling down, in many places it HAS fallen down. It is not a pretty sight but Yes, in the main, I thought it was pretty clean.

Dawned on me that I should reiterate that I only traveled around Havana on government controlled tour buses so we went where they wanted us to go...