AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Acoustical Treatments (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Vicoustics and Soundproof Cow (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=45145)

crwilli 02-18-2019 12:00 AM

Vicoustics and Soundproof Cow

Don’t really remember exact location but since my room was quite symmetric, I was able to use REW’s modeling function to zero in pretty quickly. I think it was between the Strads on the right side but closer to the listening position than the Strads. The sub position also allowed me to not stress so much about optimizing the position of the Strads for bass. I focused their placement on realistic staging.

After listening for a few months though, I had the sub crossover set at 40 hz and ran the Strads at full range with no crossover. It worked well in that room.

Interestingly enough, in my new house, I found I needed a crossover and now run the Strads and my sub sub crossed at about 90 Hz.

The point is you need to experiment and for me, I like to measure using REW. Final positioning is by ear.

Masterlu 02-18-2019 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bodiezaffa (Post 953723)
Thanks Ivan. Can we talk tomorrow afternoon if you have time?

PM sent

bodiezaffa 02-18-2019 11:11 AM

Reaching out to vicoustics today. See what they have to say

bodiezaffa 02-18-2019 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 953733)
PM sent

[emoji6]

Weirdcuba 02-18-2019 11:26 AM

Does one need this type of soundproofing insulation for SQ impact, if you have an isolated room (distance wise) from the rest of the house? In my situation, my room will be isolated by distance from the rest of the house (may need this or a similar product in the ceiling), so I'm mostly focused on improving SQ rather than soundproofing the room. Of course, this should make it quieter overall inside the room, which should have a positive effect on SQ.

Thanks in advance.

j3brow 02-18-2019 12:34 PM

Vicoustics and Soundproof Cow

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weirdcuba (Post 953768)
Does one need this type of soundproofing insulation for SQ impact, if you have an isolated room (distance wise) from the rest of the house? In my situation, my room will be isolated by distance from the rest of the house (may need this or a similar product in the ceiling), so I'm mostly focused on improving SQ rather than soundproofing the room. Of course, this should make it quieter overall inside the room, which should have a positive effect on SQ.

Thanks in advance.

Your last sentence is the key in your situation.

If you envision noise outside your room potentially disturbing your listening ...... kids playroom, etc then soundproofing would be beneficial and you could enjoy your system at lower listening levels with the help of soundproofing.

If you don’t have any worries about disturbing any one inside your house (wife, kids) or even those walking down a sidewalk outside, then I don’t see the need to spend the money on soundproofing.

I did soundproof the room I’m currently building, with the help of an acoustic engineer and a top shelf construction crew, because my family doesn’t share in my enthusiasm and there is a kids playroom above my media room.

Generally speaking, there isn’t any significant improvement in SQ by soundproofing a room although my acoustical engineer claims that a side benefit of the isolation clip system I employed in my wall construction is a tighter bass response.

Weirdcuba 02-18-2019 12:45 PM

I've read that about the bass response in several different places. I suspect like everything, it will come down to a $$ vs. benefit analysis.

Thanks for your reply.

bodiezaffa 02-18-2019 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weirdcuba (Post 953778)
I've read that about the bass response in several different places. I suspect like everything, it will come down to a $$ vs. benefit analysis.

Thanks for your reply.

There’s a great article written by Paul McGowan of PS Audio. He talks about when bbuilding the second listening room, he decided to do all the acoustic modifications after the room was built instead of making decisions to be integrated in the build

https://www.psaudio.com/pauls-posts/taming-the-room/

Weirdcuba 02-18-2019 10:03 PM

Yep. Have read that one. Their movements from the old listening room to the new space has been very informing for someone in my spot.

bodiezaffa 02-19-2019 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weirdcuba (Post 953861)
Yep. Have read that one. Their movements from the old listening room to the new space has been very informing for someone in my spot.

Ditto!