AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Sonus Faber (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Amati Futura Vs 802D3 (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=39185)

Exsg 04-22-2017 12:16 PM

Amati Futura Vs 802D3

Hi All,

Can anyone please share their insights on these two?

I haven't heard the Amati and my experience with Sonus has been limited (since domus/cremona era).

Which would be a better choice in your unbiased opinion? I listen to a wide variety of music including pop, jazz, R&B, classical, vocals, instruments and am using McIntosh gear.

I am leaning towards the BWs and I am rather familiar with its sound. Like the look of the Sonus better.

It is a big purchase and it will be my end system so wouldn't want to make the wrong choice.

Thanks a lot.

krustycat 04-22-2017 12:57 PM

Trust your ears and forget what people say, it's a big investment and you are the only one that has to be happy with the choice. Both speakers are great!

jdandy 04-22-2017 01:19 PM

Exsg.......I agree with Mike's comment, trust your ears. You can ask for an unbiased opinion but you won't get one. We are all biased toward the sound we like. That will always influence a person's recommendation. I suggest you take a half dozen CD's that you are intimately familiar with when you audition speakers. Your ears will lead you to the the speakers that please you the most.

bart 04-22-2017 02:13 PM

Mike and Dan are right.
B&W 802D3 and SF Amati Futura are both very nice speakers, but do have a very different flavour.
Try to hear them with your own gear.

jdandy 04-22-2017 02:19 PM

Exsg.......Oh, and my speakers are Sonus faber Amati Anniversario's, so my unbiased opinion is get the Futura's. . :D

soastrup 04-22-2017 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 843233)
Exsg.......I agree with Mike's comment, trust your ears. You can ask for an unbiased opinion but you won't get one. We are all biased toward the sound we like. That will always influence a person's recommendation. I suggest you take a half dozen CD's that you are intimately familiar with when you audition speakers. Your ears will lead you to the the speakers that please you the most.

That`s good advice, fully agree.

jakegt3 04-22-2017 04:50 PM

I will admit I have not auditioned the Amati Futura but I have listened to the 802D3's. In general I like the musical character of the Sonus Faber speakers, having owned the Cremona M's. I would characterize the 802D3's as being rather cool and analytical, with outstanding low bass extension. It's a good speaker but it depends on your preference in sound. Let your ears be your guide.

Exsg 04-23-2017 08:57 AM

Thanks all for your thoughts.

Thought I'd ask. I got a friend who advised me against BWs saying that they aren't good speakers and are overpriced, and that audiophiles won't buy this brand.

Based on my memory of cremonas, they were warm sounding and had great natural vocals.

I should hop down to the local dealer to hear these.

Slept on it last night and wonder if I should go ahead with the 802d3 and then if possible change the 805s to something nice from sonus, like the guarneri.

What are the shortcomings of the amatis against the 802d3s? Perhaps lower end not as deep, smaller soundstage, darker sound? How about the timbral quality and airiness? Will look out for it when I do go hear them.

800d3 paired with classe sigma monos really sounded airy in its high end with tight bass. Same speakers m601s with naim preamp sounded so so.

Perhaps 802s with c2500 will make it more textured and life like.

Kal Rubinson 04-23-2017 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exsg (Post 843391)
Thought I'd ask. I got a friend who advised me against BWs saying that they aren't good speakers and are overpriced, and that audiophiles won't buy this brand.

Statements like this are misrepresentations from individuals who don't care for B&Ws just as they would be from dealers who are trying to sell a competitor.

There are a number of well-known brands of loudspeaker that I do not care for but their sound is the result of intent on the part of the manufacturer and it does appeal to many others.

I would never castigate them that way.

Exsg 04-23-2017 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson (Post 843405)
Statements like this are misrepresentations from individuals who don't care for B&Ws just as they would be from dealers who are trying to sell a competitor.

There are a number of well-known brands of loudspeaker that I do not care for but their sound is the result of intent on the part of the manufacturer and it does appeal to many others.

I would never castigate them that way.

He had me sit up and start thinking for awhile.

Really like your reviews on 802s and sigma monos. Was weighing it against the macs. The blue meters got to me without saying.

Personally would you have chosen 802d3s over the amatis?