AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Sports (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   2018 US Open Championship (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=43196)

crwilli 06-17-2018 11:38 AM

2018 US Open Championship

Am I the only one who really doesn’t care what happens today after the farce the USGA made of yesterday’s competition?

This is not the first, second or third time they have blown the course setup decisions. The weather yesterday, specifically the dry afternoon wind, was exactly as forecasted. They can’t use that as an excuse for what they created yesterday.

audioguy3107 06-17-2018 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crwilli (Post 919082)
Am I the only one who really doesn’t care what happens today after the farce the USGA made of yesterday’s competition?

This is not the first, second or third time they have blown the course setup decisions. The weather yesterday, specifically the dry afternoon wind, was exactly as forecasted. They can’t use that as an excuse for what they created yesterday.

Phil Mickelson didn't think much of the course either. From all the thing I've read, most of the golfers are pretty pissed at the conditions.

- Buck

crwilli 06-17-2018 02:44 PM

Neither did many other golfers or the three announcers on The Golf Channel.

They seem to have relented and put many flags in the middle of the greens today as well as soften them up. It will be interesting to see the stats for today versus yesterday.

Still-One 06-17-2018 07:31 PM

It is a crappy course and I have no idea why they are going back there in about 8 years.

JBT 06-17-2018 08:48 PM

I was lucky enough to play in two times in 1998. Great course but it is windy and the USGA did a lousy job on the greens. It'll always be on the US Open rotation.

crwilli 06-17-2018 08:48 PM

I don’t feel it is a crappy course. I think it is a good test and worthy of a US Open. It has more than enough defenses not to require pin placements 3 paces on next to a 50 yd roll off. Especially when the wind can dry it out in a couple of hours. I think +2 is a respectable winning score but doesn’t excuse yesterday’s circus.

JBT 06-17-2018 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crwilli (Post 919174)
I don’t feel it is a crappy course. I think it is a good test and worthy of a US Open. It has more than enough defenses not to require pin placements 3 paces on next to a 50 yd roll off. Especially when the wind can dry it out in a couple of hours. I think +2 is a respectable winning score but doesn’t excuse yesterday’s circus.

After every round they should have watered the greens for at least an hour. And then again at sunrise. They know if the wind starts blowing 25-30 the greens turn into glass

Route 66 06-17-2018 10:46 PM

Been busy with home repairs this weekend and I didn't get to watch yesterday's round. :(

Can somebody fill me in on what you're talking about?

Mikado463 06-18-2018 11:34 AM

I love it when the pros struggle, hell watching them shoot 15 under on some course is no fun and to watch 'Picklepuss' take that putting penalty was priceless !

crwilli 06-18-2018 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikado463 (Post 919229)
I love it when the pros struggle, hell watching them shoot 15 under on some course is no fun and to watch 'Picklepuss' take that putting penalty was priceless !

Struggle? Sure. Play an unfair golf course? No.

Great shots should be rewarded and good shots should not be penalized. Neither happened much on Saturday.