AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   General Audio Discussion (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   An afternoon with Jean-Marc (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=25809)

antipop 03-15-2014 05:22 PM

An afternoon with Jean-Marc

I'm back after spending a whole afternoon with Jean-Marc.

We first met at a dealer to check out the Transrotor in person. The Transrotor looks great but we couldn't make an impression on how it sounds. The dealer used a system that costs upward of 45k$ and it sounded like a 5k$ system. Completely flat, no life, no rhythm, no music. At least I discovered Tony Joe White :thumbsup:

Then, we went to Jean-Marc place where I met his lovely wife and family. After a nice quick lunch, the system was warm and it was time to check those Alexia. Before I talk about the sound, I must say that they are absolutely stunning and Jean-Marc has a gorgeous system. I wasn't really attracted to Wilson design but the Alexia have a great shape. They are stealthy and imposing at the same time.

We fired up the Clearaudio with Diana Krall and the Alexia filled the room with music. We then switched to the squeezebox and started loading up the queue with many songs from Pink Floyd, to Bowie, to Oscar Peterson, to Chet Baker, to Tony Joe White, to Adele ...

If I have to sum up the Alexia, I only have one thing to say: they don't have a nice sound, they have the RIGHT sound! I've never heard that rightness in tone, the instrument sound like they really sound. Everything was perfect, you could hear the finger moving along the bass, the foot kicking the bass drum. High, medium, low are excellent.

This is a speaker than go up high and down low. The range is extended. Soundstage is there and the sound is precise.

It is impressive how Jean-Marc has worked around the limitation of a living room system and produced such an excellent sound. I wouldn't touch a thing, this is a system that will bring you decades of pure pleasure.

Jérôme, you may be trying to avoid them and you've succeeded so far but the Alexia will catch you and hook you up. I can see you falling madly in love with them. They would look great in your room and you'd get the sound you're chasing after. They're a piece of cake for the Shindo. We pushed the sound and we couldn't go above 120W peak! We averaged 12W at high volume.

I'm really looking forward to a demo of the Alexia with your Shindo's. The only drawback is that this may well be your last system as it won't get any better :D

Anyway, this is an afternoon that went far too quickly. Jean-Marc is a great host and it was a pleasure sharing our common passion for music. I'm looking forward to meeting you again.

Jerome W 03-15-2014 06:06 PM

Wonderful Georges !

Jean Marc's system is one of a kind.
I loved the Alexias when I heard them at JM's place.
But you know 120W of peaks is not a piece of cake for Shindo. They are rated at only 70W.
Anyway, believe it or not, the Harbeth may well be my last speakers. They sound just right too and for a small fraction of the Alexia's price. :D

Yamaki 03-15-2014 07:23 PM

Thank you for sharing, Georges!

It sounds like you had a wonderful visit

Jean-Marc jmajma 03-15-2014 07:33 PM

Hello Georges,

:redface::redface::redface: I'm so confused....

Let me tell you: you are a great guy, I sincerely appreciate at the highest degree our new friendship and I know for sure it won't end that soon...

As my wife told you,she will soon organize an "audiophile" dinner with you, Jérôme, Olivier, Jeff ...That means she was happy to meet you and she wants me to be happy with my friends and my passion:remember she was the one who decided to buy the Alexias....

First of all, it's true when you say the day was too short; that means it was a very exciting trip, even if our visit to the dealer was.... funny; the afternoon was "delicious", Alberto would have said!

It's a pity that Jérôme could not be with us, I tried to call him friday and saturday but I guess he was very busy; indeed, next time he will be there and we will have fun together.

Thank you so much for your very kind comments on my system, I hope they are sincere, it would be the greatest compliment for me.

We had a very good listening session, but I had thousands tracks to let you hear, we just hadn't enough time....next times...

I appreciate how we frankly discussed about Transrotor turntables, it will perhaps save me some money, not sure however, especially if I go the Avid route....

We shall listen to your SF Ellipsas/Avid/Manley/accuphase system too; I know you did a great job at room treatment as we talked about; you should take the measures at Jérôme's place with your software and see what has to be done there....after he buys the Alexias LOL:tresbon::banana::D:D

Once again, a very big thank you to a great AAer, a great guy named Georges.

Jerome W 03-16-2014 01:48 AM

Jean Marc,

I wish I was there. But yes, too busy yesterday to even being able to answer the phone and many things to do after work to prepare our trip.
Next time maybe !

Jean-Marc jmajma 03-16-2014 03:54 AM

Not maybe, Jérôme , I will say for sure!

Have a safe trip my friend.

antipop 03-16-2014 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerome W (Post 589949)
Wonderful Georges !

Jean Marc's system is one of a kind.
I loved the Alexias when I heard them at JM's place.
But you know 120W of peaks is not a piece of cake for Shindo. They are rated at only 70W.
Anyway, believe it or not, the Harbeth may well be my last speakers. They sound just right too and for a small fraction of the Alexia's price. :D

There is only one way to know ;) You should bring your shindo to Jean-Marc.

Maybe it will be him who will switch to Shindo :D

I also need to listen to those Harbeth if they are as good as that :thumbsup:

antipop 03-16-2014 04:17 PM

Thank you Jean-Marc, that's too much :reface:

I appreciate our friendship as well and I have no desire to end that!

You have a great family and lucky to have a wife with whom you can share your passion.

My comments about your system are sincere. I was afraid about the placement of the speaker first and the shape of the room but that was unjustified as they sound great the way you have setup your system. I wouldn't touch a thing, just sit down and enjoy.

I will definitively organise an evening at my place to show you my system. If Jerome agrees, I can bring my mic and laptop to take some measures in his room.

By the way, I've tried platter speed and I'm ashamed to even mention it. The table is spinning to fast, around 33.7rpm, the other measure are between yours and the Audiotechnica. I've sent an email to Avid and I'm thinking if I shouldn't upgrade the table instead of the arm...

Jean-Marc jmajma 03-16-2014 06:06 PM

I would be very interested too listening to those fabulous Shindos on Alexia, Jérôme could be surprised, yesterday we were 90 % of the time at less than 12 Watts and it was loud!

I listened this afternoon to many LPs I am sure you would have been impressed, like Patricia Barber's Cafe Blue album, Mark Knopfler's Privateering album, Eric Bibb's etc....it will be for next time.

Check out different things on your Avid before doing anything, but the most important is your ears, and this afternoon I really was satisfied with the Clearaudio.

antipop 03-17-2014 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jean-Marc jmajma (Post 590251)
I listened this afternoon to many LPs I am sure you would have been impressed, like Patricia Barber's Cafe Blue album, Mark Knopfler's Privateering album, Eric Bibb's etc....it will be for next time.

Check out different things on your Avid before doing anything, but the most important is your ears, and this afternoon I really was satisfied with the Clearaudio.

Cafe Blue on vinyl... :drool: Funny I was listening to Distortion of Love last night but on digital file.

I've sent a mail to Avid and I'll see what they reply. I listened to the Jimi Hendrix LPs and I didn't notice anything so maybe it's not that important