AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Accuphase (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=154)
-   -   Accuphase DG58 Necessity or Novelty (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=23784)

Masterlu 11-03-2013 12:35 PM

Accuphase DG58 Necessity or Novelty

http://www.accuphase.pl/foto/proceso...e/dg_48/02.jpg

A very attractive, and powerful component. Your thoughts are welcome...

GaryProtein 11-03-2013 01:11 PM

Use in place of the MEN220.

Do you have a price on that?

woodlander 11-03-2013 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 547359)
http://www.accuphase.pl/foto/proceso...e/dg_48/02.jpg

A very attractive, and powerful component. Your thoughts are welcome...

I want one. What else would you like to know?

jdandy 11-03-2013 01:34 PM

Ivan.......Necessary or novelty is a rather narrow view of this extremely powerful high-end audio tool. Like any high quality tool it may not always be needed but when there is a need for such a specialized tool you are so thankful to have it available.

The Accuphase DG58 offers exceptional versatility for system voicing and room equalization. The DG58 is a fourth generation of this Accuphase Digital Graphic Equalizer. It enables both sound field compensation (Voicing) and sound field creation (Equalizer). According to information in their newest literature the Accuphase DG58 offers the newly added Simple Voicing course that makes automatic sound field measurement and adjustment a breeze, while the Custom Voicing Course provides the user with extensive control over every aspect. The wide-format color LCD panel allows direct writing of response curves with a stylus pen, plus the DG58 has a programmable 20 pattern memory.

The Accuphase DG58 is a highly sophisticated audio tool. It is definitely not your typical 10 band equalizer with the accompanying distortion and phase abnormalities. The DG58 includes high-speed 40-bit floating point DSP devices with separate digital filters for Voicing and Equalizer sections. This processing power delivers 67 frequency bands with 1/6 octave spacing (adjustment range 12 dB) for Voicing plus 80 frequency bands with 1/6 octave spacing (adjustment range 12 dB) for the Equalizer. That is serious control for any audio system. As if that isn't enough, the Accuphase DG58 also has a built in real-time spectrum analyzer for music signal and microphone input and comes with a calibrated full range microphone. The spectrum analyzer has 35 frequency bands with 1/3 octave spacing and real-time operation, plus the DG58 provides analog and digital inputs/outputs.

There are toys and then there are tools. It is clearly evident the Accuphase DG58 falls into the latter category. In fact, the Accuphase DG58 is in a very lofty category of its own. Novelty? No way. Useful? Absolutely. Necessary? That can only be answered by an Accuphase system owner.

Masterlu 11-03-2013 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garyprotein (Post 547368)
use in place of the men220.

Do you have a price on that?

$12,000

Masterlu 11-03-2013 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 547379)
Ivan.......Necessary or novelty is a rather narrow view of this extremely powerful high-end audio tool. Like any high quality tool it may not always be needed but when there is a need for such a specialized tool you are so thankful to have it available.

The Accuphase DG58 offers exceptional versatility for system voicing and room equalization. The DG58 is a fourth generation of this Accuphase Digital Graphic Equalizer. It enables both sound field compensation (Voicing) and sound field creation (Equalizer). According to information in their newest literature the Accuphase DG58 offers the newly added Simple Voicing course that makes automatic sound field measurement and adjustment a breeze, while the Custom Voicing Course provides the user with extensive control over every aspect. The wide-format color LCD panel allows direct writing of response curves with a stylus pen, plus the DG58 has a programmable 20 pattern memory.

The Accuphase DG58 is a highly sophisticated audio tool. It is definitely not your typical 10 band equalizer with the accompanying distortion and phase abnormalities. The DG58 includes high-speed 40-bit floating point DSP devices with separate digital filters for Voicing and Equalizer sections. This processing power delivers 67 frequency bands with 1/6 octave spacing (adjustment range 12 dB) for Voicing plus 80 frequency bands with 1/6 octave spacing (adjustment range 12 dB) for the Equalizer. That is serious control for any audio system. As if that isn't enough, the Accuphase DG58 also has a built in real-time spectrum analyzer for music signal and microphone input and comes with a calibrated full range microphone. The spectrum analyzer has 35 frequency bands with 1/3 octave spacing and real-time operation, plus the DG58 provides analog and digital inputs/outputs.

There are toys and then there are tools. It is clearly evident the Accuphase DG58 falls into the latter category. In fact, the Accuphase DG58 is in a very lofty category of its own. Novelty? No way. Useful? Absolutely. Necessary? That can only be answered by an Accuphase system owner.

Dan... I knew my thread title was a bit extreme; and meant to be. I may have some extra room for one of these.

antipop 11-03-2013 02:16 PM

I think everyone can gain from a good EQ.

The nice thing with Accuphase is that the CDP have a digital loop for an EQ so you don't lose in the D/A conversion. I've tried it with a Behringer 2496 and it works very nicely.

The DG58 has just been released and I don't know if it's already on sale.

PS: it is the DG48 in your picture. This is the DG58 with the bigger LCD

http://www.hiendy.com/hififorum/data...i8m5fpi9f9.jpg

antipop 11-03-2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

The wide-format color LCD panel allows direct writing of response curves with a stylus pen, plus the DG58 has a programmable 20 pattern memory.

:thumbsup:

Imagine how convenient it is to correct the curve with just a pen

GaryProtein 11-03-2013 02:38 PM

Quote:

I think you have just been convinced! :D

Masterlu 11-03-2013 02:42 PM

Yes, the new DG-58 is available now. :)

http://blog-imgs-36-origin.fc2.com/s...7121924735.jpg

Masterlu 11-03-2013 02:45 PM

Now I'll need another Accuphase component to balance out the rack! :lmao:

jdandy 11-03-2013 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 547407)

Ivan.......An Accuphase T-1100. . . :whistle:

http://www.accuphase.com/model/photo/t-1100.jpg

Masterlu 11-03-2013 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 547411)
Ivan.......An Accuphase T-1100. . . :whistle:

http://www.accuphase.com/model/photo/t-1100.jpg

Dan... I can always count on you! :ok:

jdandy 11-03-2013 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 547412)
Dan... I can always count on you! :ok:

http://ccmcounseling.com/OnlineMinis...miley-face.jpg

GaryProtein 11-03-2013 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 547407)

Not a problem.

Get the DF55 and two more A200's. :D :D :D

jdandy 11-03-2013 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaryProtein (Post 547423)
Not a problem.

Get the DF55 and two more A200's. :D :D :D

Gary.......This will require a second Brinks truck to pick up the payment. :rolleyes:

Accuphase DF-55 Digital Frequency Dividing Network
http://www.accuphase.com/model/photo/df-55.jpg

Masterlu 11-03-2013 03:52 PM

http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/wp-...4/red-line.png

The line has been drawn at 8 components. :naughty:

jdandy 11-03-2013 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 547430)
http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/wp-...4/red-line.png

The line has been drawn at 8 components. :naughty:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-W1ab7rHT1s...n-the-sand.jpg

jdandy 11-03-2013 05:27 PM

Ivan.......Are you still planning to use an HRS MXR rack, just adding one more tier?

Masterlu 11-03-2013 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 547484)
Ivan.......Are you still planning to use an HRS MXR rack, just adding one more tier?

Dan... Yes, I will be using an HRS SXR rack with six M3X 19"x21" shelves. I'm thinking that I may stack source components on the top, or middle shelf.

antipop 11-03-2013 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by masterlu (Post 547430)
the line has been drawn at 8 components. :naughty:

900+901
c3800+dg58
ps1220+t1100
a200+a200

Masterlu 11-03-2013 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antipop (Post 547495)
900+901
c3800+dg58
ps1220+t1100
a200+a200

Don't forget the R1's :stirthepot:

antipop 11-03-2013 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 547511)
Don't forget the R1's :stirthepot:

And the wireworld platinum ;)

Wireworld needs to ramp up the production

nvp 11-09-2013 07:15 PM

I am using an Accuphase DG-38 unit for a few good years now and IMO it is a must have unit for any reference system. When dialled in properly (which unfortunately is not trivial with the DG-38 and probably also with the DG-48) it yield spectacular results, i.e. holographic stereo image (on the recordings that contains 3d information of course) and significantly improved bass.

Like with any other room correction system it is best to not abuse it (e.g. place one speaker on the balcony and the other one in your basement and expect it to do wonders). Speakers position should be optimised as best as possible before running the set up procedure.

Compare to other room correction systems, e.g. Audyssey, Accuphase ones are very expensive and seemed to be less advanced, e.g. they are unable to manage subwoofers. However, since I have a full Accuphase system and since I was always happy with the results I have obtained with my DG-38, I was never tempted to try a different solution. :)

baskinshaw 11-11-2013 10:07 PM

NVP, did you are that up and run it flat or did you do more of a custom setup? I have the DG48 and went through the setup and I had a 8db spike at 31 and a 6 db dip at around 36. It corrected this and the bass is much better and the soundstage seemed to be much more focused. I have heard that the engineers at Accuphase never run it flat. But other than listening I don't know what curve to go for. Just curious how you did it.

jdandy 11-11-2013 10:25 PM

nvp.......Welcome to Audio Aficionado. :wave:

Masterlu 11-12-2013 11:27 PM

I confirmed again today, the DG58 is available for immediate shipment. :)

nvp 11-13-2013 03:29 PM

baskinshaw, DG-38 offers three different procedures for the room correction function:

Voicing A - compensation with a target curve, e.g flat.

Voicing B - compensation with auto generated target curve.

Voicing C - compensation using the characteristics of the speakers

I was able to obtain good results only when using the second method, i.e. Voicing B (in the Accuphase manual). The goal of the auto-generated target curve is to make the two speakers have at the listening position responses that are as similar as possible (both in frequency and in loudness). This yields a very good stereo image and soundstage, but in my room leaves quite a few “hills and valleys” below 100 Hz. I handle these manually, i.e. tame down the frequencies for which constructive interferences occurs in my room and/or boost up the ones where destructive interference occurs.

Except for the bass management (which as mentioned still requires some manual manipulation) I find this method very effective. Regarding, the other two methods, IMO they are useless for most users. One really needs to know what he is doing when using Voicing C (as the instruction in the Accuphase manual very brief), whereas attempting to obtain a flat response in most room will suck the life out of the music (I believe that even Accuphase does not recommend this method.)

jdandy, thanks for the welcome!

turntable 11-13-2013 03:43 PM

With my totally positive experience with the Deqx hdp-4 , DSP and eq done correctly is wonderful if you have issues in the bass region.

I am sure the Accuphase is another example of it done correctly :thumbsup:

baskinshaw 11-13-2013 06:39 PM

Thanks. I have found that in my room with my Raidho D3's it is almost a necessity to have the DG48. I have a 6 db spike around the 36 range and a 4 db dip around 40. We corrected this manually and I cannot listen to my system now without the EQ turned on. Bass is no longer boomy and vocals are crystal clear. All instruments are better focused.

nvp 12-31-2013 08:27 AM

Does anybody know the differences between DG-38 and DG-48, or between DG-48 and DG-58? Of course, I am interested to know if the new room correction algorithms yields better results than the older ones (i.e not in technical details like analog boards and/or input/output connections).

I thank you in advance.
Paul

Afveep 01-01-2014 11:41 AM

DG-58-- for a high res system?

Hi all,
I'm new to AA. Just found out about the DG-58 yesterday and I'm intrigued by it. My dedicated room has a large bass hump at about 63Hz that no amount of (reasonable) room treatment or speaker/chair positioning seems to fix. I would only use electronic correction as a very,very last resort. I've tried the DSP Pro, DEQX and Rives PARC but all introduce some unacceptable level of coloration or reduce resolution. Given the quality of Accuphase electronics, I'm wondering if this might be the ultimate solution for me. While elimination of my "hump" is important, I'd rather live with it then reduce the transparency, resolution and overall quality that I'm wringing out of my system. I guess the 58 is brand new, but maybe someone who is using the 48 can comment?

BTW- can't seem to access my profile page- I get a "not authorized" msg, despite being signed in and "validated". Any ideas? My system highlights: SpiralGroove SG-1/Ortofon Anna, ARC RefPhono2, Sonore Server, Bricasti M1 DAC, ARC Anniv Ref 40 Pre, KR Audio Kronzilla DXL Monoblocks, Nola Baby Grand Ref II speakers, Lawrence Audio Double Bass Speakers. Syn Research power cells, power cables, etc. MG Audio design cables.

Masterlu 01-01-2014 06:25 PM

Afveep... Welcome! :wave:

Still-One 01-01-2014 07:06 PM

Welcome to AA Afveep :wave:

You have put together a very fine system. Some of the capabilities on the site are restricted to Subscribers. It is well worth the small investment. :yes:

cma29 01-01-2014 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still-One (Post 565695)
Welcome to AA Afveep :wave: You have put together a very fine system. Some of the capabilities on the site are restricted to Subscribers. It is well worth the small investment. :yes:

Yeah. Only $25.

Afveep 01-01-2014 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cma29 (Post 565698)
Yeah. Only $25.

Didn't see anything about subscribing, but of course! Happy to.

Masterlu 01-02-2014 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Afveep (Post 565740)
Didn't see anything about subscribing, but of course! Happy to.

:thankyouspin:

jdandy 01-02-2014 01:52 AM

Afveep.......Welcome to Audio Aficionado. Thanks for help support this great audio forum right from the start. :wave:

Masterlu 02-01-2014 06:48 AM

My DG-58 is now on order

http://www.accuphase.com/model/photo/dg-58.jpg

http://www.accuphase.com/model/photo/dg-58_b.jpg

http://www.accuphase.com/cat/dg-58_e.pdf

Masterlu 02-01-2014 06:57 AM

In 1997, Accuphase introduced a product which revolutionized the concept of the graphic equalizer and made headlines in the audio world:
The DG-58 Digital Voicing Equalizer now raises the bar again. It is a 4th generation product that reflects the state of the art of advanced signal processing technology developed by Accuphase. Ease of operation has also been enhanced, with two “Simple Voicing” courses for automatic measurement and compensation, as well as a “Custom Voicing” course that gives users the power to realize a specific acoustic concept through extensive control over all aspects.
Most operations are controlled using the large, high-definition wide-format color LCD panel. This makes using the supplied stylus pen a pure joy, enabling the user to create any desired response simply by drawing on the screen. The DG-58 takes the concept of intelligent equalization to the next level, while at the same time remaining simple and intuitive to operate, thanks to its clean and uncluttered graphical interface.

*Fully digital signal processing Voicing Equalizer
*High-speed 40-bit floating point DSP
*Separate digital filters for Voicing and Equalizer sections
*Wide-format color LCD panel allows direct drawing of response curve with stylus pen
*Freely programmable 30 pattern memory
*Real-time spectrum analyzer for display of music signal and microphone input
*Analog and digital inputs/outputs provided as standard