AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   General Speaker Discussion (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   New loudspeakers inbound! (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=46208)

Puma Cat 07-09-2019 12:06 AM

New loudspeakers inbound!

After exclusively listening to one speaker for over a decade, I've bought a pair of (new) loudspeakers...

Anyone want to hazard a guess as to what they are? :scratch2:

:D

PHC1 07-09-2019 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puma Cat (Post 972106)
After exclusively listening to one speaker for over a decade, I've bought a pair of (new) loudspeakers...

Well you did mention you wanted a pair of Harbeths recently so they are probably of the “Harbethian” heritage? :D

PHC1 07-09-2019 12:16 AM

If I have to guess, then my answer is a new pair of 30.2’s. :smoking:

Puma Cat 07-09-2019 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHC1 (Post 972109)
If I have to guess, then my answer is a new pair of 30.2’s. :smoking:

BIngo!

Not "brand-new" per se, but used for only a few hours when first purchased and not used since, so I will have to continue running them in.

Silver Eucalyptus; will be here a week from today, the 15th.

PHC1 07-09-2019 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puma Cat (Post 972110)
BIngo!

Not "brand-new" per se, but used for only a few hours when first purchased and not used since, so I will have to continue running them in.

Silver Eucalyptus; will be here a week from today, the 15th.

Congrats Stephen! :banana: Great choice! A few hrs old is “new” :D
You’ll love them :music:

Puma Cat 07-09-2019 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHC1 (Post 972111)
Congrats Stephen! :banana: Great choice! A few hrs old is “new” :D
You’ll love them :music:

Thanks, Serge!

I'm pretty excited; I think they will be wonderful in my C-J system, and perfect for my small listening space.

Masterlu 07-09-2019 12:58 AM

Stephen... Congrats! :beerchug:

Puma Cat 07-09-2019 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 972114)
Stephen... Congrats! :beerchug:

Thank you, Ivan!

:thumbsup:

PHC1 07-09-2019 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puma Cat (Post 972112)
Thanks, Serge!

I'm pretty excited; I think they will be wonderful in my C-J system, and perfect for my small listening space.

Sounds like a winning combination to me. They love tubes as well as SS. Their impedance is rather flat and tube friendly. I had my pair setup in a very small room at first and they sounded ok but not great as they do couple to nearby walls like any other speaker and need a bit of space to breathe. In the big room they came alive and sounded much more open and balanced. I don’t think your room will be a challenge if you had success with other speakers, they are not particularly finicky that way. :no:

Puma Cat 07-09-2019 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHC1 (Post 972116)
Sounds like a winning combination to me. They love tubes as well as SS. Their impedance is rather flat and tube friendly. I had my pair setup in a very small room at first and they sounded ok but not great as they do couple to nearby walls like any other speaker and need a bit of space to breathe. In the big room they came alive and sounded much more open and balanced. I don’t think your room will be a challenge if you had success with other speakers, they are not particularly finicky that way. :no:

Yes, I've heard that they are very easy with respect to setup and not at all finicky with respect to cables and electronics. If I can my big Dyns in this space, I'm sure Harbeths will be just fine.

PHC1 07-09-2019 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puma Cat (Post 972117)
Yes, I've heard that they are very easy with respect to setup and not at all finicky with respect to cables and electronics. If I can my big Dyns in this space, I'm sure Harbeths will be just fine.

:yes:

PHC1 07-09-2019 01:20 AM

Eucalyptus is such an elegant color too. Very easy on the eyes, they don’t scream out “look at me” like some other speakers. They just elegantly blend in with the decor. At some point you should consider the TonTrager stands. Magic. :yes: That should be the icing on the cake and a cherry on top. :D

Antonmb 07-09-2019 01:34 AM

Very cool Stephen, congratulations. I’m looking forward to pictures.

Charles 07-09-2019 03:18 AM

Stephen, congrats! I have never heard Harbeths but they seem to receive almost universal praise.

SCAudiophile 07-09-2019 07:01 AM

Stephen,

Congratulations! A friend has the 40.1s and I heard the 40.2s in Munich and I believe those were driven with Magnum Dynalab electronics.

Both models are amazing speakers, very happy to hear your news on this new purchase!

For The Love of Music 07-09-2019 09:18 AM

Excellent!

Enjoy with enthusiasm and health!

Excited to see the setup when done.

alkizz 07-09-2019 09:43 AM

Nice!!

jimtranr 07-09-2019 01:06 PM

Congrats, Stephen. Sounds like you're in for a real ear-candy treat.

Puma Cat 07-09-2019 01:59 PM

Many thanks, gents, for all the kind regards....

Now, I just have to source stands and "hold out" 'til Monday.

Ah well, I have Wimbledon to distract me. Vamos Rafa!

bart 07-09-2019 02:00 PM

Congrats Stephen!
Enjoy them.

Any reason you decided to part with Dynaudio?

Puma Cat 07-09-2019 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bart (Post 972192)
Congrats Stephen!
Enjoy them.

Any reason you decided to part with Dynaudio?

Thanks, Bart.

I haven't parted with Dynaudio, and honestly, I don't think I ever would. Dynaudio, in my humble opinion, is one of the truly great loudspeaker companies. Even if I was to sell the Contours, I think I would have a pair of Dyns around, even it if was a pair of Special 40s or something like that. The big Dyns are outstanding for full orchestral classical and symphonic music, for a lot of the type of music you and Jim listen to, for example. They are also flat (0 dB down) down to 30 Hz without a sub, and they are extremely fast for dynamic drivers, and can scale from pianissimo to fortissimo very, very quickly, almost as quickly as 'stats, but they put out considerably more "dynamic slam" than 'stats. Listening to Asturias on Albeniz' Suite Espanola is quite the experience.

So, I am planning on keeping the big Dyns, at least for the time being. Minimally, I'll set them up for home theatre. I have them on Herbie's Decoupling Gliders, which have a Teflon slider on the bottom, so I can easily slide them around from position to position.

bart 07-09-2019 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puma Cat (Post 972197)
Thanks, Bart.

I haven't parted with Dynaudio, and honestly, I don't think I ever would. Dynaudio, in my humble opinion, is one of the truly great loudspeaker companies. Even if I was to sell the Contours, I think I would have a pair of Dyns around, even it if was a pair of Special 40s or something like that. The big Dyns are outstanding for full orchestral classical and symphonic music, for a lot of the type of music you and Jim listen to, for example. They are also flat (0 dB down) down to 30 Hz without a sub, and they are extremely fast for dynamic drivers, and can scale from pianissimo to fortissimo very, very quickly, almost as quickly as 'stats, but they put out considerably more "dynamic slam" than 'stats. Listening to Asturias on Albeniz' Suite Espanola is quite the experience.

So, I am planning on keeping the big Dyns, at least for the time being. Minimally, I'll set them up for home theatre. I have them on Herbie's Decoupling Gliders, which have a Teflon slider on the bottom, so I can easily slide them around from position to position.

Well Stephen, I'm relieved, and happy for you!
I'm also a fan of Dynaudio.

Puma Cat 07-09-2019 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bart (Post 972213)
Well Stephen, I'm relieved, and happy for you!
I'm also a fan of Dynaudio.

Yes, me, too. I've lived with Dynaudio for a decade now and have been very, very happy. A true engineering-based company whose products punch way above their respective price points, make real music, and also look beautiful in the home. And, not like something out of a Transformers movie! :p

PHC1 07-09-2019 05:51 PM

Had a pair of Dynaudio SE70's for a few years. Really enjoyed them with a pair of 501 monoblocks. :yes: In fact went to listen to the Dynaudio 40th anniversary before finally settling on Harbeth 30.2 anniversary. Really liked the Special 40 from Dynaudio, fun and musical speaker and at the $3k price, it was a really tough decision to spend 2x as much on 30.2s! No regrets either way! :banana:

Puma Cat 07-09-2019 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHC1 (Post 972217)
Had a pair of Dynaudio SE70's for a few years. Really enjoyed them with a pair of 501 monoblocks. :yes: In fact went to listen to the Dynaudio 40th anniversary before finally settling on Harbeth 30.2 anniversary. Really liked the Special 40 from Dynaudio, fun and musical speaker and at the $3k price, it was a really tough decision to spend 2x as much on 30.2s! No regrets either way! :banana:

That's right, I DO remember you auditioning the Special 40s, come to think of it.

They are quite seductive in that gorgeous Red Birch finish...

PHC1 07-09-2019 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puma Cat (Post 972234)
That's right, I DO remember you auditioning the Special 40s, come to think of it.

They are quite seductive in that gorgeous Red Birch finish...

:yes:

Jack in Wilmington 07-09-2019 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puma Cat (Post 972106)

Dynaudio Contour 60's. That's where I'd lay my cash if I was purchasing.

djwhog 07-10-2019 07:23 AM

Congrats Stephen very nice!

Audio 1 07-10-2019 11:33 AM

Congratulations on the Harbeth's Stephen!! :thumbsup:

I have to agree with you on Dynaudio. I have owned a few pair and nothing else can quite compete with them on cost vs. performance ratio in my opinion.

Puma Cat 07-10-2019 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington (Post 972259)
Dynaudio Contour 60's. That's where I'd lay my cash if I was purchasing.

Those would be great, but too big for my small listening space.

Puma Cat 07-10-2019 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djwhog (Post 972311)
Congrats Stephen very nice!

Thanks, Dave.

Puma Cat 07-10-2019 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio 1 (Post 972337)
Congratulations on the Harbeth's Stephen!! :thumbsup:

I have to agree with you on Dynaudio. I have owned a few pair and nothing else can quite compete with them on cost vs. performance ratio in my opinion.

Yep, Dyns are great. If I had a space large enough and a budget large enough to build an "all-out" system, it would be with the new Confidence 60s.

Jack in Wilmington 07-10-2019 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puma Cat (Post 972349)
Those would be great, but too big for my small listening space.

Maybe 40's or even 20's. How big of a room are your 5.4's in now? I never thought about over playing my listening room.

Puma Cat 07-10-2019 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington (Post 972365)
Maybe 40's or even 20's. How big of a room are your 5.4's in now? I never thought about over playing my listening room.

Hi Jack,
My 3.4s are in an open floor-plan "living room" area, but its not a conventional room with four walls by any stretch.

I'm getting a pair of Harbeth 30.2s, FWIW. These will let me sit near-field, which will be ideal in my small space. I will be placing the Harbeths 6 feet apart and sit 6 feet in front of them.

PHC1 07-10-2019 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puma Cat (Post 972366)
Hi Jack,
My 3.4s are in an open floor-plan "living room" area, but its not a conventional room with four walls by any stretch.

I'm getting a pair of Harbeth 30.2s, FWIW. These will let me sit near-field, which will be ideal in my small space. I will be placing the Harbeths 6 feet apart and sit 6 feet in front of them.

They are conducive of near field listening. :yes: I tried.

Most folks are not living in 25,000 sq ft mansions overseas and make do with flats. Amazingly even the big Tannoys do ok in tight quarters. It must be in the inherent design parameters for British speakers. :scratch2:

Puma Cat 07-10-2019 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHC1 (Post 972369)
They are conducive of near field listening. :yes: I tried.

Most folks are not living in 25,000 sq ft mansions overseas and make do with flats. Amazingly even the big Tannoys do ok in tight quarters. It must be in the inherent design parameters for British speakers. :scratch2:

I agree, and the Harbeths originated, IIRC, out of a design brief developed by the BBC for monitors, so they should peform well in a near-field setup.

Puma Cat 07-10-2019 04:25 PM

I'm going to go with stands by Resonant Woods in solid figured maple. Hand-crafted and all joints are mortise and tenon joints.

Resonant Woods had a pair returned from being lightly damaged in shipping and have been refurbished. All Brooks has to do is finish sanding and varnishing them; here's a photo of them refurb'd and awaiting sanding and varnishing.

http://photos.imageevent.com/puma_ca...0stand%202.jpg

Here's a pic of what the stands when they were first built; the refurb'd stands will be very close in appearance to this.

http://photos.imageevent.com/puma_ca...e%20resize.JPG

This worked out well; I saved $400 over the price of new stands, as well as 4-5 weeks in lead time for a new order...:thumbsup:

PHC1 07-10-2019 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puma Cat (Post 972373)
I'm going to go with stands by Resonant Woods in solid figured maple. Hand-crafted and all joints are mortise and tenon joints.

Resonant Woods had a pair returned from being lightly damaged in shipping and have been refurbished. All Brooks has to do is finish sanding and varnishing them; here's a photo of them refurb'd and awaiting sanding and varnishing.

http://photos.imageevent.com/puma_ca...0stand%202.jpg

Here's a pic of what the stands when they were first built; the refurb'd stands will be very close in appearance to this.

http://photos.imageevent.com/puma_ca...e%20resize.JPG

This worked out well; I saved $400 over the price of new stands, as well as 4-5 weeks in lead time for a new order...:thumbsup:

Very nice looking stands! :thumbsup:

Puma Cat 07-10-2019 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHC1 (Post 972375)
Very nice looking stands! :thumbsup:

Indeed. The figured maple should look really nice in my home.

tweet 07-10-2019 08:22 PM

Congratulations, Stephen! Can't wait to read about your new sound. :music::banana: