AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   CD Players, Digital Music & Servers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Faster internet = better sound (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=49141)

PMCH 12-05-2020 12:47 AM

Faster internet = better sound

I finally was forced to upgrade my internet speed since my wife is doing a lot of Zoom meetings for her work now. I just switched from a 30 Mbps connection to 400 Mbps connection. She is actually getting 484 Mbps at her laptop via Wi-Fi from our 5GB router setting. My music streamer has always been direct cable connected and I was very happy with it but now I am now hearing a huge musical improvement. It is the kind of improvement that is keeping me up listening to my old favorites for the first time. I would have done this years ago if I only knew.

cleeds 12-05-2020 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PMCH (Post 1023940)
... I just switched from a 30 Mbps connection to 400 Mbps connection ...

You are very lucky to have that option!

PHC1 12-05-2020 03:20 PM

I have the 1G internet but honestly did not notice any difference from the 100Mbps. I think as long as there are no dropouts, it should not matter.

Masterlu 12-05-2020 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHC1 (Post 1024034)
I have the 1G internet but honestly did not notice any difference from the 100Mbps. I think as long as there are no dropouts, it should not matter.

I noticed on the faster songs, it does sound better. :D

Sorry, couldn’t resist. ;)

PHC1 12-05-2020 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 1024035)
I noticed on the faster songs, it does sound better. :D

Sorry, couldn’t resist. ;)

You are on to something there... :running:

PeterMusic 12-06-2020 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PMCH (Post 1023940)
I finally was forced to upgrade my internet speed since my wife is doing a lot of Zoom meetings for her work now. I just switched from a 30 Mbps connection to 400 Mbps connection. She is actually getting 484 Mbps at her laptop via Wi-Fi from our 5GB router setting. My music streamer has always been direct cable connected and I was very happy with it but now I am now hearing a huge musical improvement. It is the kind of improvement that is keeping me up listening to my old favorites for the first time. I would have done this years ago if I only knew.

Very interesting. Have you compared streaming to locally stored files/CDs?

PMCH 12-06-2020 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterMusic (Post 1024178)
Very interesting. Have you compared streaming to locally stored files/CDs?

My original post was for the improvement I heard in my system when I upgraded from an internet speed of 30Mbps to 400Mbps while streaming.

I have compared many times in the past streaming to locally stored files/CDs. I find that I often prefer what others do not. For me with my system, I would say my preferences from favorite to least favorite would be SACD, CD, Hi-Res downloads, Tidal MQA, Qobuz Hi-Res, Tidal CD quality, Qobuz CD quality, ripped CDs, Spotify. I would say at least 90% of my listening is Tidal MQA since I don't need to get up and stick in another SACD or CD. I find I have gotten lazy over the years.

PHC1 12-06-2020 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PMCH (Post 1024188)
My original post was for the improvement I heard in my system when I upgraded from an internet speed of 30Mbps to 400Mbps while streaming.

I have compared many times in the past streaming to locally stored files/CDs. I find that I often prefer what others do not. For me with my system, I would say my preferences from favorite to least favorite would be SACD, CD, Hi-Res downloads, Tidal MQA, Qobuz Hi-Res, Tidal CD quality, Qobuz CD quality, ripped CDs, Spotify. I would say at least 90% of my listening is Tidal MQA since I don't need to get up and stick in another SACD or CD. I find I have gotten lazy over the years.

If you are not listening to an MQA DAC that will unfold it, you are essentially listening to a lossy sound that punishes you with 13 bits of quality.

bart 12-06-2020 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHC1 (Post 1024191)
If you are not listening to an MQA DAC that will unfold it, you are essentially listening to a lossy sound that punishes you with 13 bits of quality.

Serge, he has the Berkeley Alpha DAC Ref. Series 3 MQA.

PMCH 12-06-2020 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHC1 (Post 1024191)

I have only listened to Tidal MQA through a Berkeley MQA DAC. I had the DAC before MQA came out on my Aurenders, first the N10 and then the W20SE.