AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   PS Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Apc s20 > p12 (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=44838)

miner 01-10-2019 09:50 AM

Apc s20 > p12

I have had an APC S20 (about 9 yo) as by conditioner for my family room system - MA8900, MCT450, B&W 805D3, B&W DB1D, iTouch, along with TV, Blu-Ray and DVR. I came home yesterday and I heard a clicking sound over by my system. The APC was clicking on and off and the MCT was doing the same. I was not able to power off the APC so I unplugged it. I proceeded to unplug everything from the unit. Once I unplugged the APC and let it set for 15 minutes, I plugged in again. The screen said no battery attached (the S20 has a battery back-up). I took off the faceplate, took out the battery, looked at all of the internal connections, seemed OK, no leakage. I replaced these batteries last year so I did not feel like it was a battery issue so I replaced the battery and faceplate and plugged back it. The APC rebooted and once again said no battery detected. After ten minutes that notice went away and the battery started to recharge. I left the unit on overnight without any issues of clicking on and off but I feel apprehensive to plug my equipment back into the APC S20. I sent Ivan a quick text to ask for a quote and he immediately called me back and we discussed the P12 vs the P15 (what fantastic personal service, which should not surprise anyone at all). After doing my research I discovered the P15 would not fit into my console/rack due to the height. The APC S20 was rated at 1.25Kw so I figured the P12 would be a nice replacement. Anyway, I am now awaiting the delivery of the PS Audio P12 at a very, very desirable price. In the meantime until delivery I will just revert to an old Monster Cable surge strip and keep unplugged until my listening session.

Thank you Ivan!

Masterlu 01-10-2019 01:50 PM

Kevin... you are welcome, and thanks for the shout out. :tiphat:

Mack 01-11-2019 11:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 57738

"Ivan delivers again"

miner 01-13-2019 10:47 PM

And again....since my P12 won’t arrive for 10 days Mr. Messer was able to procure an excellent deal for a back-up conditioner until the P12 arrives. He made me a great offer on a Shunyata Research PS8 bundle. I am currently using a Monster power strip and the dynamics are missing in my audio. I needed a backup power conditioner for times like this.

brodricj 01-15-2019 10:00 AM

Can you just explain why you felt the need to have a UPS in the system in the first place?

miner 01-15-2019 10:36 AM

I hade been originally using a Rotel RLC-1400 when I had Rotel gear. The conditioner was harmed during a nearby lightening strike. It was designed and built by APC. When I contacted APC about warranty work they sent me a new APC S20 in exchange - that is how I ended up with it. A free 'upgrade' to me. Besides, in the Houston area when storms appear there are some blackouts and with the UPS I was able to have enough power for +1 hours worth of weather watching on the TV.

brodricj 01-19-2019 07:48 AM

They haven't invented underground power in Houston to avoid such storm related blackouts?

Masterlu 01-19-2019 10:17 AM

We have underground power where I live in both Florida, and Cape Cod. Neither location is immune from losing power in a storm.

Samac 01-19-2019 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 949742)
We have underground power where I live in both Florida, and Cape Cod. Neither location is immune from losing power in a storm.

Unfortunately this is so true. I only wish the underground lines in our neighborhood did guarantee not losing power.

Cheers,

Scott

Masterlu 01-19-2019 03:42 PM

In Florida, I am fortunate; I’m on an emergency power grid (city hall/police HQ). We are the last to go out, and first to be restored.