AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Cables Galore (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Curious Evolved USB (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=46758)

Parabellum 09-29-2019 08:55 PM

Curious Evolved USB

Might be old news already but I just noticed that an upgraded version of the famous Curious USB has been released recently. The Curious Evolved USB.

I had the Curious USB for a few months and really liked what this cable was doing between my Bryston BDP-2 and BDA-3. I upgraded to a JCAT Signature USB and while it sounds more natural and the sound stage just exploded, the bass weight and bass definition was not as good as with the original Curious USB. Now with the Evolved version, according to the very early reviews, it seems that this version will bring the qualities I like about the JCAT while maintaining that bass weight and definition I liked about the Curious. Price is competitive in this market at 550$ for a 0.8M lenght, worldwide shipping included. Looks like a winner to me. I was planning to switch to Shunyata Alpha USB but I seriously consider the Evolved now. Another strong point with the JCAT is the fact that it is supremly quiet. The noise floor reached another low in my system. I just wonder if the Evolved would be as quiet.

curiouscables.com/products

Puma Cat 09-29-2019 08:59 PM

I would still get the Shunayta Alpha USB if I were you.

Just my 2˘...

Parabellum 09-29-2019 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puma Cat (Post 981031)
I would still get the Shunayta Alpha USB if I were you.

Just my 2˘...

Tha Alpha USB is very tempting but price is a limiting factor. At 1000$, it is twice as expensive as the Curious Evolved. Also, I don't need the 1.5M lenght of the Alpha USB. 0.8M is actually perfect for me. If I could find an Alpha USB on the used market that would be something to consider seriously. My JCAT Signature USB is also priced at 1000$ (900 euros) so if I sell it, I either pocket some change by buying the Evolved, or I fork another 300$ something to get the Alpha. There is no rush for me now to change the USB cable (since march 19, it's my 3rd USB cable I try) as I would like to get some Shunyata copperCONN duplexes (I am a strong believer in good electrical).

John Jordan 10-03-2019 09:18 PM

On a "leap of faith" (and some conversation) I ordered one of these today. While I would like it to be the USB that improves the digital sound quality of my humble system enough to keep, the 30 day trial period was the underlying reason to give it a go.

And Thus-Ly, we Go-Es.

Parabellum 10-03-2019 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Jordan (Post 981432)
On a "leap of faith" (and some conversation) I ordered one of these today. While I would like it to be the USB that improves the digital sound quality of my humble system enough to keep, the 30 day trial period was the underlying reason to give it a go.

And Thus-Ly, we Go-Es.

Congrats John! To jump in the bandwagon is very tempting..