AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Member System Forum (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   Bavarian05 Updated System (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=28544)

Bavarian05 10-05-2014 02:08 AM

14 Attachment(s)
Many, many changes over the past 18 months or so. Photos reflect a few layout and aesthetic changes, though system consists of:
Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolutions in Walnut
Primaluna HP Integrated using 8 KT-150s for around 100 watts
Finite Elemente Pagode Amp Stand
Bryston BDP-1
Bryston BDA-1
VPI Classic One in black finish
Dynavector Karat 17D3 low output MC
Simaudio Moon 310LP Phono preamp
Nordost Heimdall 2 interconnect, speaker cable and Norse Jumper
Solidsteel S3 Modular Stand
Acoustic Geometry First Reflection Absorbers 2'X2' (2" thickness)
Echo Buster Corner Busters in all four corners
Dedicated 20 amp and 15 amp electrical lines

I'm really thrilled with the Guarneri EVOs. They feel like an heirloom that makes gorgeous sound. Tone is really impressive.
They take some serious work to set up properly and having identical rake angles and height for each was enormously important in my room, but it was well worth the trouble. :-)

Yamaki 10-05-2014 12:22 PM

Did the Siamese come with the Sonus Faber's???? ;)

I'm curious about the wall treatments. I assume you implemented them to cut down on reflection from the wall adjacent to the speakers. How did they turn out functionally? What measurements or process was followed to pick the location? I need to do something similar for mine.

Great looking upgrades!

Bavarian05 10-05-2014 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yamaki (Post 642270)
Did the Siamese come with the Sonus Faber's???? ;) I'm curious about the wall treatments. I assume you implemented them to cut down on reflection from the wall adjacent to the speakers. How did they turn out functionally? What measurements or process was followed to pick the location? I need to do something similar for mine. Great looking upgrades!

Hi Yamaki,

He is in fact part of a new Sonus Faber promotion. Buy a pair and get a free 14 year old Apple head Seal Point Siamese.
Though he is considerably more costly than the Guarneri's. :-)
I wouldn't trade him for the world though.

The panels were very helpful in taming the first reflections and clarifying the image.
Without them, the sound in my room could become tiresome to the ear. I had to do a lot of experimenting to get this right.
If I used a 2'x4' panel on each wall, it would suck out the liveliness and put to much focus on the lower frequencies.
They are only 2" deep so they are only effective down to around 140 HZ. It's very easy to over do it - at least in my experience.

I may also order a couple of 1" deep panels to use behind my listening position. I'm not sensing a problem, but from talking to a few reps about room treatment, they all said my room would likely benefit from some absorption behind my listening chair.

Bavarian05 10-05-2014 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yamaki (Post 642270)
Did the Siamese come with the Sonus Faber's???? ;) I'm curious about the wall treatments. I assume you implemented them to cut down on reflection from the wall adjacent to the speakers. How did they turn out functionally? What measurements or process was followed to pick the location? I need to do something similar for mine. Great looking upgrades!

Sorry, I forgot to answer your question on how I arrived at the placement location.
I used the typical mirror along the wall trick and found the first reflection point and then experimented with height a bit.
The Guarneri's are a little higher than most stand mounts, so I ended up centering the absorption panel between the mid/woofer and the tweeter on the Guarneri's.
I also experimented with a plush blanket on the ceiling and at first it sounded good, but over time I realized the highs were being a little over damped. Not using anything on ceiling at this time.

Let me know what you end up doing or what you have tried so far in your room.

audio badger 10-05-2014 09:52 PM

Jason,
Looking good! Glad to hear that you are enjoying the new SF's.
Paul

Yamaki 10-06-2014 08:21 AM

Thanks for the input, Jason. I'm glad the time and experimentation with the room treatments produced the results you were looking for.

Bavarian05 10-06-2014 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audio badger (Post 642346)
Jason, Looking good! Glad to hear that you are enjoying the new SF's. Paul

Hey Paul,

Thank you.
Nice to hear from you!

Bavarian05 10-15-2014 09:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Added a new Heimdall 2 Power Cable and some 1962 and 1965 NOS 12AU7s today from La Radiotechnique and Cifte.

cmalak 10-15-2014 09:08 PM

Jason....congrats once again on your system. Beautifully put together. Glad everything is coming together so nicely. Quick question on the 17D3...how do you like it and how would you describe its sonic character/attributes? Thanks.

Robert_Anderson 10-15-2014 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bavarian05 (Post 642222)
Many, many changes over the past 18 months or so. Photos reflect a few layout and aesthetic changes, though system consists of:
Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolutions in Walnut
Primaluna HP Integrated using 8 KT-150s for around 100 watts
Finite Elemente Pagode Amp Stand
Bryston BDP-1
Bryston BDA-1
VPI Classic One in black finish
Dynavector Karat 17D3 low output MC
Simaudio Moon 310LP Phono preamp
Nordost Heimdall 2 interconnect, speaker cable and Norse Jumper
Solidsteel S3 Modular Stand
Acoustic Geometry First Reflection Absorbers 2'X2' (2" thickness)
Echo Buster Corner Busters in all four corners
Dedicated 20 amp and 15 amp electrical lines

I'm really thrilled with the Guarneri EVOs. They feel like an heirloom that makes gorgeous sound. Tone is really impressive.
They take some serious work to set up properly and having identical rake angles and height for each was enormously important in my room, but it was well worth the trouble. :-)

That looks great!