AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Shindo Laboratory (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   Shindo boys on the upgrade route.... (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=9749)

Jerome W 09-01-2011 12:17 AM

Shindo boys on the upgrade route....

Hello folks,

I noticed that, while saying that Shindo gear makes you forget the gear, you're almost all into upgrades all the time, like the other audiophiles here. So, you're still looking for "better sound". What is missing then ?

I understand tnat Matt's full trade in value help a lot for that ( how does this guy earn money :D ? ), but still, I find a bit controversial the permanent upgrade / change path for people who say that they found at last the Music they love and can finally forget the gear.....

Don't want to be polemic at all. Just curious to have your feelings about that.

howiebrou 09-01-2011 12:23 AM

They're going to upgrade to Kondo next!!

Just kidding.......!

chessman 09-01-2011 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by howiebrou (Post 199721)

Just kidding.......!

:D

Masterlu 09-01-2011 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by howiebrou (Post 199721)

Just kidding.......!

I heard they are coming out with the new King Kondo. ;)

chessman 09-01-2011 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 199733)
I heard they are coming out with the new King Kondo. ;)

Production is delayed. The prototype keeps climbing tall buildings and then falling off. :D

Masterlu 09-01-2011 12:51 AM

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_KVmReQtTNJ...Kondo+sign.jpg

:lmao:

adhesiv 09-01-2011 03:15 AM

I can only speak for myself but my only planned change is to try an SET (with higher efficiency spkrs) and get more into vinyl. I say change since it's more just trying a different flavor rather than upgrading.

Other than that I'm still pretty darn content and other than a wish to try SET I'm not thinking about any other gear swapping. I think we just saw a wave of purchases all at once so maybe gave the appearance of such?

sibelius 09-01-2011 08:49 AM

Will only speak for myself. IMO there is a distinct improvement in Shindo preamps as you move up the line. Detail, clarity and emotional impact have increased along the way. Given the trade in value it made sense to move up as finances allowed. I agree with Shindo that the preamp is the "heart of the music system". The preamp is where most of the Shindo magic is to me.

The Shindo amps do a wonderful job maximizing the tone of the output tube. My problem is I can't live with just one sound. I tend to have preferences based on the type of music I'm listening to. Which is why I'm very content owning one preamp but currently have many amps. Having a variety of sounds helps to keep the music hobby even more fresh and interesting to me.

I take all the "I've arrived" comments I hear from audiophiles with a grain of salt. Almost everyone writes glowing reviews about new equipment. I'm much more interested in their views a year down the line. That's when the bloom is off the rose a bit and perspective becomes more balanced. Why is it that so many people change equipment? I believe that part of it lies in the fact that no matter how wonderful your equipment is, you become used to that sound over time and often yearn for that new sound that mixes things up. My take after many decades in this hobby is that there is no absolute sound and that variety adds to my enjoyment.

Still-One 09-01-2011 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sibelius (Post 199805)
Will only speak for myself. IMO there is a distinct improvement in Shindo preamps as you move up the line. Detail, clarity and emotional impact have increased along the way. Given the trade in value it made sense to move up as finances allowed. I agree with Shindo that the preamp is the "heart of the music system". The preamp is where most of the Shindo magic is to me.

The Shindo amps do a wonderful job maximizing the tone of the output tube. My problem is I can't live with just one sound. I tend to have preferences based on the type of music I'm listening to. Which is why I'm very content owning one preamp but currently have many amps. Having a variety of sounds helps to keep the music hobby even more fresh and interesting to me.

I take all the "I've arrived" comments I hear from audiophiles with a grain of salt. Almost everyone writes glowing reviews about new equipment. I'm much more interested in their views a year down the line. That's when the bloom is off the rose a bit and perspective becomes more balanced. Why is it that so many people change equipment? I believe that part of it lies in the fact that no matter how wonderful your equipment is, you become used to that sound over time and often yearn for that new sound that mixes things up. My take after many decades in this hobby is that there is no absolute sound and that variety adds to my enjoyment.

Great Post, especially your last paragraph. I agree 100% with your point of getting used to the sound and any change sounds good. :thumbsup:

I do disagree with the premise that the "heart of a music system" is the pre-amp.

Jim

two dot 09-01-2011 12:18 PM

Jerome,

I might add that once you have decided that the Shindo sound is the one that you want, it is very natural to want to move "up" the line. And yes Matt makes this an easy and enjoyable process. It is always said that each move in the pre amp line just gives you "more" of the same Shindo sound.

I have yet to see or hear of anyone "upgrading" from Shindo to another brand of gear. Not saying that it hasn't happened... I just have not heard of it.

Cheers,
Stephen