AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Pass Labs (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=143)
-   -   Pass Labs Int-30A (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=25057)

SPaulC 01-26-2014 10:22 PM

Pass Labs Int-30A

I am relatively new to AA and brand new to Pass Labs. I just ordered an
Int-30A to replace my current integrated (Vecteur 80 W @ 8ohms). I will be using the Int-30A to drive Magnepan MG12's in my relatively small dedicated room (14' X 11' X 9.5'ceilings). Unfortunately because I don't have a dealer nearby I have not heard the amp (or any Pass Labs amps for that matter). So this is a bit of a gamble (although with the 10 day grace period with Reno Hi-Fi I can return them in the unlikely case I am not happy).

I know the new .8 amps will be hitting the market soon but I figure starting with the .5 based integrated (demo) will give me a good idea of what is possible. Here is hoping that 60Watts of Class A into 4 ohms & some A/B headroom will work well enough with the Maggies. In any case, finding out what Class A is all about will be part of the fun.

Mikado463 01-26-2014 10:35 PM

while I can't speak to the amp driving your Maggie's I can state that in my son's system it does a superb job driving his sweet sounding Zu's ……..

junker 01-27-2014 06:28 AM

Great choice!

There will be no .8 integrated so you aren't missing anything and this is per my conversation with Desmond, the CEO:

You did not miss out. There is no integrated in the point 8 series and probably will not be for some time if ever. We have more than enough on our plate for now.

Desmond.

Secondly, That amp puts out WAY more than 30/60...it's more like 130/195!

Pass Labs XA30.5 power amplifier Measurements | Stereophile.com

And what it doesn't do with power, it does with CURRENT which is what those Maggies will love. No, my friend you made a great choice. That is the value kingpin in their line-up!!! Good choice!!!

rbbert 01-27-2014 11:33 AM

Class A only to 30/60 WPC, class A/B above that. My INT150 supposedly goes to 10/20 in class A, which is probably where I usually am. I've considered switching to the INT30A but haven't done so yet.

cma29 01-27-2014 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPaulC (Post 574383)
I am relatively new to AA and brand new to Pass Labs. I just ordered an
Int-30A to replace my current integrated (Vecteur 80 W @ 8ohms). I will be using the Int-30A to drive Magnepan MG12's in my relatively small dedicated room (14' X 11' X 9.5'ceilings). Unfortunately because I don't have a dealer nearby I have not heard the amp (or any Pass Labs amps for that matter). So this is a bit of a gamble (although with the 10 day grace period with Reno Hi-Fi I can return them in the unlikely case I am not happy).

I know the new .8 amps will be hitting the market soon but I figure starting with the .5 based integrated (demo) will give me a good idea of what is possible. Here is hoping that 60Watts of Class A into 4 ohms & some A/B headroom will work well enough with the Maggies. In any case, finding out what Class A is all about will be part of the fun.

Congratulations on your choice of Pass Labs. I think you've made the right decision. Ever since adding Pass to my system I have not looked back. I think they drive the Magnepans magnificently and with authority.

A big :thumbsup: dealing with Mark at Reno Hi-Fi. The good thing is that when you are ready to make an upgrade he'll take care of you.

SPaulC 01-27-2014 11:41 PM

It is good to get positive responses from folks who are experienced with Pass Labs. I am looking forward to taking delivery on Thursday. Once the amp is settled in and has a few hours on it I will start testing out some source to amp interconnects and speaker cable. Can it be coincidence that a Nordost rep is paying a visit to a local dealer on Thursday to do some demos?

junker 01-28-2014 04:19 AM

Nelson Pass from Operators Manual:

We prefer speaker cables that are short and stout. Oxygen-free copper and silver are the suggested materials. If you find any really exceptional cable made of gold, please gift us a couple hundred meters.
Fortunately this amplifier is not sensitive to the capacitive/inductive character of some of the specialty speaker cables, so feel free to experiment.
We have found that about 90 per cent of bad sounding cables are really bad sounding connections, and we recommend that attention be paid to cleanliness of electrical contact surfaces and proper connector fit.

Speaker cables should be firmly tightened down at the speaker output terminals, but not with a wrench. Output terminals will not withstand the levels of torque that may be easily applied by wrench. Hand tightening without excessive force is plenty. Cleaning contact surfaces with one of the commercially available electronic contact cleaners should be part of your annual system maintenance.

czbbcl 01-29-2014 06:36 PM

Congratulations that is great Integrated.

chimaera1982 03-02-2014 11:57 PM

Just joined the Pass family with a new to me Pass INT 150. Replacing Plinius 9100. Bigger sound stage, deeper and more controlled bass and increased resolution. Was considering the INT30A or the 150 in the end went for the INT150.

Driving Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor M.:banana:

cma29 03-03-2014 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chimaera1982 (Post 585889)
Just joined the Pass family with a new to me Pass INT 150. Replacing Plinius 9100. Bigger sound stage, deeper and more controlled bass and increased resolution. Was considering the INT30A or the 150 in the end went for the INT150. Driving Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor M.:banana:

Welcome to the Pass Labs family. Congratulations and enjoy.