AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   McIntosh Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   McIntosh C52 Preamplifier Review (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=35091)

JBT 03-09-2016 01:27 PM

McIntosh C52 Preamplifier Review

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdzxjnvuOo4&feature=youtu.be[/ame]

Very nice!!

jdandy 03-09-2016 01:54 PM

Jim.......I have listened to the C50 and C52 preamplifiers through the MC452 and MC601 power amplifiers. With the C52 I believe McIntosh finally dotted all the i's and crossed all the t's. The digital section of the preamp finally functions correctly with all resolutions without hanging up, an issue the C2500, C48 and C50 have issues with, although I believe there are firmware updates that solve the issue. The comments on the moving coil phono stage in the C52 were accurate. McIntosh has provided excellent phono stage preamps for years. I found it interesting that Ray compared the C52 moving coil phono stage to the Pass Labs XP-15 phono stage preamp. I compared the XP-15 with my C2300 preamp's moving coil phono stage and discovered the C2300 to be more musical and quieter. There was no comparison with the XP-15 against my C1000C/P moving coil phono stage. The Pass Labs XP-15 was returned to Reno HiFi. In my opinion, I believe the new McIntosh C52 solid state preamplifier with the internal DAC is a serious contender against the plethora of preamplifiers on the market. It most certainly is the most advanced single box preamp/DAC McIntosh has produced to date. It is feature rich yet those features never get in the way of the music. Were I looking to build a McIntosh system today (I already have three), the C52 preamplifier, at the remarkable price of $7000, would be at the top of my list. I like this preamplifier.

http://www.dagogo.com/wp-content/upl...cIntoshC52.jpg

audioguy3107 03-09-2016 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 766074)
Jim.......I have listened to the C50 and C52 preamplifiers through the MC452 and MC601 power amplifiers. With the C52 I believe McIntosh finally dotted all the all the i's and crossed all the t's. The digital section of the preamp finally functions correctly with all resolutions without hanging up, an issue the C2500, C48 and C50 have issues with, although I believe there are firmware updates that solve the issue. The comments on the moving coil phono stage in the C52 were accurate. McIntosh has provided excellent phono stage preamps for years. I found it interesting that Ray compared the C52 moving coil phono stage to the Pass Labs XP-15 phono stage preamp. I compared the XP-15 with my C2300 preamp's moving coil phono stage and discovered the C2300 to be more musical and quieter. There was no comparison with the XP-15 against my C1000C/P moving coil phono stage. The Pass Labs XP-15 was returned to Reno HiFi. In my opinion, I believe the new McIntosh C52 solid state preamplifier with the internal DAC is a serious contender against the plethora of preamplifiers on the market. It most certainly is the most advanced single box preamp/DAC McIntosh has produced to date. It is feature rich yet those features never get in the way of the music. Were I looking to build a McIntosh system today (I already have three), the C52 preamplifier, at the remarkable price of $7000, would be at the top of my list. I like this preamplifier.

Dan - Did you do any serious comparisons between the 52 and the C2300? I know how highly you speak of the 2300 and was curious how a newer offering compares. Obviously the 2300 is a tube preamp, so it wouldn't be apples to apples, but an interesting comparison nontheless, especially considering all the talk/rumors of McIntosh quality with online sales etc etc...

- Buck

JBT 03-09-2016 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 766074)
Jim.......I have listened to the C50 and C52 preamplifiers through the MC452 and MC601 power amplifiers. With the C52 I believe McIntosh finally dotted all the all the i's and crossed all the t's. The digital section of the preamp finally functions correctly with all resolutions without hanging up, an issue the C2500, C48 and C50 have issues with, although I believe there are firmware updates that solve the issue. The comments on the moving coil phono stage in the C52 were accurate. McIntosh has provided excellent phono stage preamps for years. I found it interesting that Ray compared the C52 moving coil phono stage to the Pass Labs XP-15 phono stage preamp. I compared the XP-15 with my C2300 preamp's moving coil phono stage and discovered the C2300 to be more musical and quieter. There was no comparison with the XP-15 against my C1000C/P moving coil phono stage. The Pass Labs XP-15 was returned to Reno HiFi. In my opinion, I believe the new McIntosh C52 solid state preamplifier with the internal DAC is a serious contender against the plethora of preamplifiers on the market. It most certainly is the most advanced single box preamp/DAC McIntosh has produced to date. It is feature rich yet those features never get in the way of the music. Were I looking to build a McIntosh system today (I already have three), the C52 preamplifier, at the remarkable price of $7000, would be at the top of my list. I like this preamplifier.

http://www.dagogo.com/wp-content/upl...cIntoshC52.jpg

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

jdandy 03-09-2016 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audioguy3107 (Post 766075)
Dan - Did you do any serious comparisons between the 52 and the C2300? I know how highly you speak of the 2300 and was curious how a newer offering compares. Obviously the 2300 is a tube preamp, so it wouldn't be apples to apples, but an interesting comparison nontheless, especially considering all the talk/rumors of McIntosh quality with online sales etc etc...

Buck.......The C2300 was no longer available so I wasn't able to make a direct comparison to the C52 preamplifier. None the less, I am intimately familiar with my C2300 and MC601 system in the living room system. I did not feel any compulsion to sell or trade my C2300 for the C52 but was very impressed with the C52/MC601 setup. Like I said, were I building a new McIntosh system, the C52 would be in serious contention as the preamp. I even found myself softening my position on a DAC being part of the preamp package. High-res from a laptop through the C52 was remarkable. The C52 is an amazing solid state preamplifier.

o0OBillO0o 03-09-2016 02:32 PM

:lurk:

mgard 03-09-2016 06:31 PM

After watching that video I is hard not to want one. Way to go McIntosh! I want one... my C2300 is OK, but I want one... :yes:

~Mike

4N6 03-09-2016 08:35 PM

Excellent information. I too am very interested. I'm likely going to go hear it soon at my favorite dealer in Bethesda.

jfray 03-09-2016 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 766080)
Buck.......The C2300 was no longer available so I wasn't able to make a direct comparison to the C52 preamplifier. None the less, I am intimately familiar with my C2300 and MC601 system in the living room system. I did not feel any compulsion to sell or trade my C2300 for the C52 but was very impressed with the C52/MC601 setup. Like I said, were I building a new McIntosh system, the C52 would be in serious contention as the preamp. I even found myself softening my position on a DAC being part of the preamp package. High-res from a laptop through the C52 was remarkable. The C52 is an amazing solid state preamplifier.

Dan,

Thanks for taking the time to audition the C52. :yes: My dealers don't have it available...... With your stamp of approval I feel better about buying without listening to it. :music:

I am excited about adding the MT5 and C52 to my system and now all I have to do is place the order!

Mahalo 03-09-2016 11:19 PM

JBT, thanks for that.

Enjoyed it especially because I'm considering purchasing a C50. I did wonder why the reviewer did not use a Mac amp, since he used 3 other amps for the review.