AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   News (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   R.I.P.....Amar Bose passed away. (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=22032)

audioguy3107 07-12-2013 11:52 PM

R.I.P.....Amar Bose passed away.

Wow, just saw this!

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/13/bu...t-83.html?_r=0

jdandy 07-12-2013 11:59 PM

A marketing genius.

Rest in peace Amar Bose.

essjay 07-13-2013 12:02 AM

more can be found here via MIT

Amar Bose

he sounds like he was a wonderful bloke and great teacher

Masterlu 07-13-2013 12:13 AM

RIP Amar Bose

vinod_david 07-13-2013 12:22 AM

Oh, sad to hear.

Stereo-head 07-13-2013 01:40 AM

RIP Dr. Bose

Jerome W 07-13-2013 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 511745)
A marketing genius.

Rest in peace Amar Bose.

Dan,

I do not think that we can reduce Mr. Amar Bose to a "marketing" genius. He invented and designed products who are loved by many music lovers around the world.
We have our ears. But you know, many Bose customers who listen to our systems do not find them so much better than their Bose system. Same with Bang and Olufsen. And they have the right to think as they think.
I have heard very good HT systems based on those little cubes.
I think Dr. Bose really achieved what he had in mind : make more people aware that a better sound is possible than their cheap crap from Wal Mart.
Not the "best" sound neither the "only" one as many high end companies present themselves. But a "better" one than what is commonly found anywhere.
Many music lovers, including very wealthy ones, cannot admit to see a pair of conventional speakers in their home. They found those boxes ugly.
Before even knowing McIntosh, when I was around 7 or 8 years old, my dream was to have a Bose portable system for my Sony Walkman.
My uncle (brother of my mother ) is a billionaire, and one of the 50 richest persons in France ( although he now lives in London ! ). He had, in a stunning villa in St Paul de Vence, costing around 20 millions of euros, a Kenwood mini system of around 500 euros with the speakers in corners on the floor where nobody could see them ! And he could listen to music on this and be happy ! Even for people like him, Bose had the genius to make them discover that a "better sound is possible" while still not seeing the speakers in the room. Those little cubes are anywhere now, in billionaire's and simple worker's places. So yes, a marketing genius of course, but not only. Also a music lover and someone who made music played better, of course not for our ears, all over the world, no matter the income of the owners. To me he made a lot for good music reproduction but surely, at a different level than Frank McIntosh.

RIP Dr. Bose.

MyPal 07-13-2013 04:07 AM

:goodpost: He contributed Acoustimass.... Affordable sounding acoustics to the masses. Many remain happy with Acoustimass. Many go on to journey HiFi nirvana.

Audiofan1 07-13-2013 04:18 AM

R.I.P Amar Bose!

A credit indeed to this wonderful hobby of mine, as I had an uncle in the armed forces stationed in Germany for many of my younger days, had a reel to reel and some fine Bose speakers shipped home that sat in my Mothers living room for 20yrs un played but stirred away at the dreams of this once young Audiophile!

Many thanks!

AudioGremlin 07-13-2013 07:41 AM

R. I. P. Amar Bose.
Although I never bought into his products I very much admire his life's work. Bose made superb noise cancelling aviation headsets, comfortable for many hours of flying, very popular & used by the GA community and commercial pilots alike.
Bose PA speakers although very popular had more than a few detractors amongst the pro sound pro's with the cruel jibe 'No highs, no lows, must be Bose'
I would be keen to hear opinions on his other equipment which I rightly or wrongly lumped into the B&O camp of imo midfi gear.