AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Vinyl & Accessories (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Static build up, really bad. (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=46897)

Mgrenwick 10-22-2019 03:34 PM

Static build up, really bad.

The mat that came with my table might as well be a wool sweater.
The amount of static building up is nuts. When I went to flip the record the mat was stuck to the record.

I am new to this hobby, and so far it's not going well.
What can I do to prevent this static build up.
I was using the mofi brush to clean the record prior to playing but I think that was making it worse.

What brush should I get?
What mat material should I look at?

Puma Cat 10-22-2019 04:39 PM

Get a Milty ZeroStat.

W9TR 10-22-2019 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mgrenwick (Post 983329)
The mat that came with my table might as well be a wool sweater.
The amount of static building up is nuts. When I went to flip the record the mat was stuck to the record.

I am new to this hobby, and so far it's not going well.
What can I do to prevent this static build up.
I was using the mofi brush to clean the record prior to playing but I think that was making it worse.

What brush should I get?
What mat material should I look at?

What's the RH in your home? Should be around 30%. Here in Salida it has been exceedingly dry outside 5-12% RH most days.

Is your TT grounded? My Dais has a separate ground for the platter/bearing structure. If you have that option use it as it will help dissipate any static buildup.

audio bill 10-22-2019 06:36 PM

If you do a search for anti-static turntable mats you'll find many options, priced from ~$10 on up. They can often eliminate the static problem without having to add steps to your playback process like using other anti-static devices.

Antonmb 10-23-2019 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W9TR (Post 983338)

Is your TT grounded? My Dais has a separate ground for the platter/bearing structure. If you have that option use it as it will help dissipate any static buildup.

Good suggestion.

For mats, Herbie’s Audio Lab Way Excellent II and Grungebuster mats are very good and won’t cling to the record. Not sure which is best suited for your table. Also the Hunt EDA Carbon fiber brush does an excellent job without adding static. The MoFi brush is OK for light-duty wet cleaning, but not your best option for dry brushing on the tt before play. A good carbon fiber brush and a non-felt mat will take care of most situations.

Higgens 10-23-2019 09:03 AM

I agree with the suggestion to check the relative humidity inside your house. A humidifier may be all you need to fix the problem.

oddeophile 10-23-2019 10:56 AM

I keep ours at 36-40% all the time. Solved the problems of static everywhere. Plus NO carpet!
It’s best to use one that attaches to your HVAC directly IMHO.

Cohibaman 10-23-2019 11:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 60208

Mgrenwick 10-26-2019 11:46 AM

I don't think my table has the grounding option. It has a ground at the table than a ground to the phono stage but that is all.
Im trying to get the humidity up but I'm in Colorado so not as easy.

Formerly YB-2 10-27-2019 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mgrenwick (Post 983665)
I don't think my table has the grounding option. It has a ground at the table than a ground to the phono stage but that is all.
Im trying to get the humidity up but I'm in Colorado so not as easy.

You can run the same TT ground to your house ground. Do you use some sort of power conditioner (PS, Shunyata, etc.)? Should have a ground on it that you can run another wire from your TT ground to. If it creates a hum then simply remove same. Does not take much of a ground to bleed off the static.