AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   McIntosh Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Changing McIntosh Preamps (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=45743)

Mamrak1 05-03-2019 06:31 PM

Changing McIntosh Preamps

I have owned a C52 preamp for the past two years. I like everything about it but for some reason I was ready or a change. I made inquiries and I received a good deal for a C2600 tube preamp. It is now on order and I should hear about its arrival in a weeks time. I am using a Parasound JC 5 power amplifier. I won't be changing amps but I feel like a tube preamp and a solid amp should make a good combination.

80B 05-03-2019 08:06 PM

Look forward to hearing your impressions.

miner 05-04-2019 11:21 AM

Tube pre plus SS amp is a great match. Don’t get too anxious for tube rolling - get familiar with the stock tubes first. Congrats on a great preamp

JWJW 05-04-2019 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mamrak1 (Post 963617)
I have owned a C52 preamp for the past two years. I like everything about it but for some reason I was ready or a change. I made inquiries and I received a good deal for a C2600 tube preamp. It is now on order and I should hear about its arrival in a weeks time. I am using a Parasound JC 5 power amplifier. I won't be changing amps but I feel like a tube preamp and a solid amp should make a good combination.

Great move. Congrats!

med_designer 05-04-2019 12:55 PM

Mamrak1:

I think this is a great choice and the mix of a tube pre with solid state amp seems to be the best of both worlds. Agree with miner on not being too anxious on tube rolling. Live with the stock tubes that come with it or a while. I think you will find they are actually quite good. Tube rolling can be fun, but it can introduce more variables that result in second guessing your other choices. I believe these are JJ Tubes. The C26000 has 5 12AX7's and 1 12AT7 (used on the output stage). If you do get into tube rolling make sure you purchase from a reputable and experienced dealer. There are lots of tubes for sale in the interthingy and it can be easy to buy tubes that are not what they claim to be.

What I ended up with is a C70 to handle analog duties and a D1100 to handle digital duties. I liked the idea of isolation of the two methodologies and also like having access to all the functions with dedicated knobs on the C70. For amplification I use an MC152. This is a wonderful sounding system and tames the cynic in me. Spent too many years trying this and that (all of which is now sold) and I am in a happy place. The stock tubes in the C70 have been wonderful and I am very pleased with them.

I had a chance encounter the other day with the McIntosh rep to the store I get all my gear from. He mentioned that a C70 is effectively a C2600 without the digital section and a few other details. Your C2600 should bring you many years of smiles and transform you system as only tubes can do.

Happy listening.

jalanrolls 05-04-2019 06:01 PM

I disagree. Switch out to Gold Lions and the difference will be well worth the reasonable cost. You will go there anyhow so just do. But then there will always be something better. If you don’t use both mc and mm then skidoo’s one. Enjoy.

Jeff

Mamrak1 05-04-2019 08:04 PM

I was just looking at my stash of 12AX7 and 12AT7 tubes today. I am no fan of JJ tubes as I had a few crap out on me a few years ago. I swapped them out and never looked back. That will be the first order of business when I pick up the C2600.

Mamrak1 05-13-2019 09:02 PM

I picked up my C2600 preamp on Friday afternoon. I got things connected and that was all I had time for. Saturday morning I changed tubes in position 5 and 6 with a Gold Lion 12AX7 and a Telefunken 12AT7. I was reminded of how much I miss the sound of tubes in my system. Now I just need to break in those tubes for a few hundred hours. I am very pleased with the overall sound I am getting.

Yamaki 05-19-2019 03:06 PM

Congrats! I'm glad the upgrade is working out for you.

1KW 05-20-2019 06:46 AM

Congrats. You will love your new pre amp