AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Turntables & Tonearms (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Garrard 401- My New & Old Turntable (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=40276)

NZ421291 08-17-2017 09:51 PM

Garrard 401- My New/Old Turntable

1 Attachment(s)
Ive had a 401 gathering dust in the garage for a while- and thought it was about time I had it serviced & add a new plinth.

So, I made contact with Tony who is renown for his high quality servicing & refurbing of Garrards here in Auckland.

I purchased a new Piano Black Plinth, a cork mat & other bits & piece. A month later, Tony had completed the refurb/servicing- mine was an early example in good condition & only needed a service & cleaning (the linkages were replated as well).

Transferred my Jelco 750D & Lyra Argoi cartridge & gave it a spin.

Wow- big difference from my Oracle Delphi- subjectively more drive & deep base, slightly recessed upper treble however (Tony thinks that will return once the table settles down & run in properly- usually after 50 hours of use).

Thinking of installing the SMD Acoustics Garrard 401 Stainless Oil Bearing & Spindle Upgrade & adding the Artisan Fidelity precision replacement idler wheel featuring a special rubber composite concentric seamless periphery running surface.

Unfortunately- after a week had to pack it all away due to kitchen/lounge renovations- so am looking forward to playing with the 401 in a few weeks time.

Anyway- its been great fun setting the old/new 401 up:D

https://www.audioaficionado.org/atta...9&d=1503021490

vintage_tube 08-17-2017 11:42 PM

Looks real nice and would make any owner very proud to have that TT. Great job by all.:thumbsup:

Best Sir,

Bob

jdandy 08-18-2017 12:31 AM

Nick.......What a lovely turntable. This is going to fit right into your new dedicated room.

Antonmb 08-18-2017 12:37 AM

Congratulations on a gorgeous table.

Audioraven 08-18-2017 03:28 AM

Wow! Your 401 is a real beauty. :yes: :thumbsup:

doggiehowser 08-18-2017 03:45 AM

Stunning.

essjay 08-18-2017 09:40 AM

Very nice.

EfeTe 08-18-2017 11:31 AM

Very very cool to have these serviced and ready to keep rolling -things like the 401's should never go away. In fact a friend of mine has parts of it here in his house so I will be starting a project, get the missing parts from England then make it come to life at some point next year.

Cartridges wise, would you say going for a Benz Ebony H (MC but with a very high gain) into the MM of my McIntosh MA6600 would be a wise choice?

I loved that tonearm you transferred from the Oracle btw!

NZ421291 08-20-2017 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EfeTe (Post 862503)
Very very cool to have these serviced and ready to keep rolling -things like the 401's should never go away. In fact a friend of mine has parts of it here in his house so I will be starting a project, get the missing parts from England then make it come to life at some point next year.

Cartridges wise, would you say going for a Benz Ebony H (MC but with a very high gain) into the MM of my McIntosh MA6600 would be a wise choice?

I loved that tonearm you transferred from the Oracle btw!

Hi, Ive never used the Benz myself, but have listened to it on a friends Oracle Paris & it sounded great! What arm are you using?

NZ421291 08-20-2017 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 862413)
Nick.......What a lovely turntable. This is going to fit right into your new dedicated room.

Thanks Dan- BTW the wife likes the look of the Wireworld Solstice 7 cables.

Jarrah floors are sanded tomorrow (Monday) & carpets cleaned on Friday, so with a bit of luck I can reassemble my system on Saturday (2nd Sept).

Im really excited about having music back in the house- & trying out the Wireworld Speaker Cables - its gonna be fun!