AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Inspire by Dennis Had (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=184)
-   -   Dennis Had Inspire Amps (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=24170)

pstrisik 11-21-2014 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simonatsea (Post 652497)
Thoughts on preamplifiers. Has anyone compared running these amps off other preamplifiers vs lp-1 or lp-2? I am looking at ordering one from Dennis to match my 6v6 amp. Comments on synergy, Lp1 or lp2 listening impressions? Currently I am using my Burson
Audio ha160d to drive it and am quite happy. However I think it might not be showing me all that is capable of

I have.

I have the LP-2. It replaces a Cary SLP-05. I was stunned, but to me, the LP-2 edged out the Cary. And that is at less than one fifth the price! I went back and forth quite a bit since it was hard to believe. I have a switch, so didn't have to do any cable swapping. I've not heard the LP-1.

Not much in the way of impressions. Just cleaner, more pleasing sound. Not as much gain though. And I found the Sophia 274B mesh plate better than several other rectifiers.

If I were to try a new pre, it might be the DECWare CSP-3 given his reputation and the flexible control/configuration.

Simonatsea 11-21-2014 11:49 PM

Wow, very reassuring, I guess with these inspire creations, less really is more. Thank you, I wonder if my EML 5U4 will manage to finally prove itself worthy in a preamplifier, it had never really managed to excite in my 6v6 inspire.

nhparrot 11-22-2014 08:21 AM

What is the difference between a LP-1 and LP-2? Has Dennis built a combo preamp/headphone amp?

Simonatsea 11-22-2014 06:12 PM

I asked Dennis that already, he believes that combining would compramize both components. I have to respect his position, he is doing this out of passion and perfection.

Breakdown7 11-22-2014 11:31 PM

I have an LP-1 that replaced a Cary SLP-98P in my system with a pair of QMB-25 6V6 mono-blocks. To my ears, the preamps sounded very similar. Maybe the SLP-98P had slightly better dynamics and nicer overall build quality. However, I sold the Cary preamp, as the difference in sound quality just wasn't there considering the amount of money between the two units. I do miss the remote and internal phono stage though. Man, I really wish Dennis would build a stand-alone MM/MC phono preamp :yes:

I have too much stereo gear in general and need to part with my Inspire QMB-25 mono-blocks. Absolutely wonderful sounding amps, but I don't have as much time to listen to them here lately. A new baby in the house has changed my priorities all around. Just wanted to mention in case anyone was interested. To give you an idea of how good they sound, I replaced a pair of McIntosh MC275's running in mono-block configuration with the QMB-25's. They sound so natural, smooth, musical.

But as I was saying, you can't go wrong with Inspire gear. They have got to be some of the best values out there right now in tube audio. I wouldn't hesitate at all to place an order for and LP-1 or LP-2…although my experience is directly with with LP-1. The LP-1 has only one output, where I believe the LP-2 has two outputs. I would LOVE to compare the two preamps.

Aercool 11-24-2014 02:04 PM

If I recall corrrectly, the LP-1 preamp used a different tube complement: 1 x 5Y3, 1 x EL-84/6CG7, 2 x 6922/6H1N. The newer LP-2 uses 3 x 6FM7 plus the same rectifier.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nhparrot (Post 652664)
What is the difference between a LP-1 and LP-2? Has Dennis built a combo preamp/headphone amp?

pstrisik 11-24-2014 02:28 PM

There is also a difference in the chassis shape. The LP-2 uses the same as his current stereo amps. The LP-1 is more the shape of the monoblocs, but don't know if it is that big.

LP-1:

http://i.imgur.com/5ruG6OV.jpg

LP-2 (mine):

http://i.imgur.com/kp34ftC.jpg?1

Breakdown7 11-24-2014 08:26 PM

Beautiful pics! Thanks for posting. My LP-1 looks exactly like the one in the pic. I'll be glad once my "new" stage is over on the forum. I'll be glad to post some pics.

pstrisik 11-24-2014 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Breakdown7 (Post 653321)
Beautiful pics! Thanks for posting. My LP-1 looks exactly like the one in the pic. I'll be glad once my "new" stage is over on the forum. I'll be glad to post some pics.

Please do!

I don't remember how many messages you had to have posted before getting privileges. You should be close with 12 though.

Maybe that is your LP-1! I just grabbed an image from google to show what it looks like.

Breakdown7 11-24-2014 10:49 PM

Ha, I guess that is possible :scratch2: Listening to it right now actually. I've got an RCA 6CG7 backplate on the way soon. It will replace my GE 6CG7. It will be interesting if there is a notable difference in that particular tube in the circuit. I've got to get some NOS E88CC's/6922's for it too.