AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Shunyata Research (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Alpha HC or Anaconda zitron for triton (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=37656)

New guy 11-18-2016 03:13 AM

Alpha HC or Anaconda zitron for triton

Hi,

I have an Alpha HC and Anaconda zitron 20 A cords along with typhon and triton v1. Which cord would be best for the triton and Typon?

I have the ALPHA HC from wall to Triton and anaconda from triton to typhon at the moment. As anyone compared the the cords for this application?

Thanks,

Rich

GrantS 11-18-2016 10:33 AM

Hi Rich,

Are both models you have 1 meter in length? The key is to have the shortest length possible, with 1 meter being the ideal because the signal shared between the units is extremely weak. The shorter the connecting umbilical, the more effect the Typhon will have on performance. We recommend 1 meter because this length allows reasonable placement options and allows room for the umbilicals to bend, but no more than that for performance reasons.

Outside of the length issue, you really cannot go wrong with either model that you mention. Both would provide an exceptional conduit for the signal shared between the units. Even when comparing the two power cords on amps, there is something of a split opinion as to which model is preferred so it comes down to the system or component. For the umbilical, I feel they will be virtually indistinguishable.

Best regards,

Grant
Shunyata Research

New guy 11-18-2016 09:39 PM

Hi Grant,

Thanks for your quick reply. The Alpha HC and Anaconda are both 1M. The typhon has made a lager improvement than I had anticipated.

Rich

New guy 03-11-2017 02:34 PM

Hi Grant,

I have another question about ztron Python and ALPHA HC. I have one of each in 1.75 m, C19. I am trying to determine which one would be best for these two equipment:
ARC ref 6 preamp
Krell evolution 403E - really big amp 400wX3.

Or should I sell the Python and get another HC Alpha.

Thanks for your help.

Rich

GrantS 03-12-2017 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New guy (Post 836286)
Hi Grant,

I have another question about ztron Python and ALPHA HC. I have one of each in 1.75 m, C19. I am trying to determine which one would be best for these two equipment:
ARC ref 6 preamp
Krell evolution 403E - really big amp 400wX3.

Or should I sell the Python and get another HC Alpha.

Thanks for your help.

Rich

Hi Rich,

I think both are excellent power cords, so I am not sure the advantage is great enough to sell the Python and buy another HC model unless your out of pocket is very reasonable. If the application is a massive amp like the Krell, a Sigma Analog might be an ideal -- at the right price. I would start by putting the HC on the amp. The Python is a good match for the pre-amp. If you try a Sigma Analog, try that on the amp and move the HC to the Ref 6.

Best regards,

Grant

New guy 03-12-2017 08:00 PM

Hi Grant,

Thanks for your reply. I will try the Python on the REF6 and put the HC on the Krell. If I were to sell the Python and buy an HC, I would actually come out ahead maybe +$100.
I will keep my eyes out for a Simga Analog for the Krell and then move the HC to the REF 6. Would the sigma HC work better on the Krell than sigma analog?

Thanks again.

Regards,

Rich

GrantS 03-13-2017 08:56 AM

Yes, the Sigma HC may be better but in terms of cost-performance I believe the Sigma Analog would be my first recommendation. At 8 gauge, I think it would be more than adequate for the Krell.

Regards,

Grant

New guy 03-15-2017 12:52 AM

Grant,

Greatly appreciate your suggestion.

Thanks,

Rich

New guy 08-13-2017 01:46 AM

I got a Sigma HC 20A this week and it's connected to the Krell 403E amp. All I can say is wow! There is a big difference between the Alpha HC and Sigma HC. Everything sounds bigger and fuller. Bass goes deeper and just sounds more powerful.

After hearing the Sigma HC, it's hard to go back the Alpha HC. My Audio Research Ref 250s are connected with Alpha HC. I will need to upgrade them to either Sigma Analog or HC ��.
Probably the Ref6 too. I shouldn't have tried the Sigma HC. Ignorance is bliss is very true in this case. Now it's too late now.

lschoonaert 08-13-2017 09:45 AM

I can second that, the sigma is the only powercord where i was surrpised. Like really mind blowing, i put 2 sigma analogs on my mc2301's (which had alpha HC's before). Better and more prominent bass, wide soundstage. I had 2 friends visit that are audio freaks with way better ears than me, and i hadn't told them anything - first thing they asked was "wow what did you change, this sounds awesome"