AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Wireworld Cables (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Wireworld vs Nordost and Cardas (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=41876)

samger 01-14-2018 06:38 PM

Wireworld vs Nordost and Cardas

Has anyone had the luxury of comparing upper end Wireworld cables against those from Nordost and Cardas. Nordost seems to be very expensive.

Sam

Masterlu 01-14-2018 07:18 PM

One thread per topic is adequate. ;)

samger 01-14-2018 07:44 PM

Sorry, I did not mean to post it twice.

rnrmf1971 01-14-2018 08:30 PM

I had compared Cardas Clear with Wireworld Platinum Eclipse on my previous McIntosh system.
While Cardas had an ultra robust bottom end I’d go so far to describe as “juicy,” that was all it had. I found the rest of the sound undefined and unresolving by comparison to a number of other cables I was auditioning. I was auditioning Wireworld’s Platinum 6 series at the time and I didn’t love that either, though. At some point I demoed WW Platinum 7 and I found what was, to me, the best combination of traits in a cable- never thin sounding, warm and natural bass, realistic mid range tonality, and clarity without any spotlighting of the high frequencies. It’s funny because it doesn’t necessarily do any of those things the best I’ve ever heard, but it sounds the most natural. I’ve never heard this combination of traits integrated so naturally. The only disclaimer I’d make is that this does not include the WW Platinum power cables. I haven’t heard the latest series of Platinum power cables as I’m thrilled with my current references.
Obviously, YMMV

samger 01-16-2018 09:00 AM

Thanks, I appreciate your feed back.

Sam:banana:

GreginNH1 01-16-2018 09:43 PM

I have owned Nordost Heimdall 2, Frey 2 and Tyre 2 speaker cables and WW Silver 7 and Gold 7. I have never heard Cardas.

Generally speaking, the Nordost cables are incredibly fast but can be very much on the bright side so care should be given when matching them up to speakers. The Wireworld cables not do anything wrong and seem to pair up well with most any speakers I have heard.

I don’t own either brand anymore but I would consider WW a much safer bet if you had to make a decision without an in-home audition.

Mouse 01-19-2018 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreginNH1 (Post 893268)
I have owned Nordost Heimdall 2, Frey 2 and Tyre 2 speaker cables and WW Silver 7 and Gold 7. I have never heard Cardas.

Generally speaking, the Nordost cables are incredibly fast but can be very much on the bright side so care should be given when matching them up to speakers. The Wireworld cables not do anything wrong and seem to pair up well with most any speakers I have heard.

I don’t own either brand anymore but I would consider WW a much safer bet if you had to make a decision without an in-home audition.

I haven't owned either, but I did demo Nordost Heimdall 2 interconnect for a day. I own a set of lower tiered Audioquest Mackenzie XLR and I must say that the Nordost was much less bright yet a lot more detailed in the upper frequencies.
My Mackenzie is bright enough to hurt/annoy my ears, and at the same volume the nordost XLR was clear and the annoying harsh sound went away.
I could listen to higher volumes with Nordost and still not get the same ear discomfort. Comparing $100 to a $1,000 set is hardly fair though, yet this is all the comparison I have to offer.

I wish I had an opportunity to check out WireWorld as it seems to be a forum favorite but Nordost is the only cable locally distributed interested in a demo, even if my demo isn't the full lineup in my system. At this point I intend on ordering Frey 2 for my system.

GreginNH1 01-20-2018 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mouse (Post 893907)
I haven't owned either, but I did demo Nordost Heimdall 2 interconnect for a day. I own a set of lower tiered Audioquest Mackenzie XLR and I must say that the Nordost was much less bright yet a lot more detailed in the upper frequencies.
My Mackenzie is bright enough to hurt/annoy my ears, and at the same volume the nordost XLR was clear and the annoying harsh sound went away.
I could listen to higher volumes with Nordost and still not get the same ear discomfort. Comparing $100 to a $1,000 set is hardly fair though, yet this is all the comparison I have to offer.

I wish I had an opportunity to check out WireWorld as it seems to be a forum favorite but Nordost is the only cable locally distributed interested in a demo, even if my demo isn't the full lineup in my system. At this point I intend on ordering Frey 2 for my system.

To clarify - the Nordost speaker cables can be on the bright side depending on speakers. The interconnects do not demonstrate these traits. I still have Frey 2 interconnects at my office system, I like them very much.

Mouse 01-20-2018 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreginNH1 (Post 894028)
To clarify - the Nordost speaker cables can be on the bright side depending on speakers. The interconnects do not demonstrate these traits. I still have Frey 2 interconnects at my office system, I like them very much.

Good to know.