AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Ayre (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Charles Hansen RIP (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=41346)

Forte 4A 11-29-2017 05:31 PM

Charles Hansen RIP

Sad news Charles Hansen passed away yesterday on 11/28/17.

tima 11-29-2017 06:18 PM

One of audio's bright lights - he will be missed.

PHC1 11-29-2017 06:28 PM

Very sad. RIP Charles Hansen.

BillK 11-29-2017 06:50 PM

From Facebook:

Quote:

Charles Hansen 1956 - 2017

With heavy hearts, we regret to inform you that Charles Hansen, founder of Ayre Acoustics, has passed away on November 28th, 2017. Those who knew Charley knew that he was a passionate man who always stood up for what he believed to be right. His family knew him as a loving and dedicated father of his two children. With the passing of Charley, the world has lost one of the most creative and innovative minds in the audio industry and we have lost a good friend.

While we can never replace Charley, his spirit lives on in the team at Ayre. We are dedicated to continuing his mission of creating and manufacturing the best sounding audio equipment in the world. Most importantly, we will be there for our friends, partners, and customers who have supported us over the years. If you have any questions, please feel free to call us at any time.

We wish you all the best over the holidays, and please play an album for Charley sometime.

essjay 11-29-2017 06:52 PM

what a loss to our hobby and the industry at large. RIP Charles.

dbphd 11-29-2017 06:53 PM

I spin Irrational, But Efficacious periodically on my disc players. RIP, Mr. Hansen.

db

audioguy3107 11-29-2017 07:04 PM

What!!? That’s terrible! What happened? Awful news.

Canonicus 11-29-2017 07:59 PM

That's really sad news! :sigh:
Thoughts and prayers to his family.

W9TR 11-29-2017 08:38 PM

It all started with a serious accident several years ago. Charlie was hit by an out-of-control motorcycle rider while riding his road bike.

http://www.dailycamera.com/ci_13078648

Tom

PHC1 11-29-2017 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W9TR (Post 882867)
It all started with a serious accident several years ago. Charlie was hit by an out-of-control motorcycle rider while riding his road bike.

http://www.dailycamera.com/ci_13078648

Tom

More than a few years, 8 years ago. At the time I had an Ayre KX-R preamp and was blown away by the sheer genius of his design. So sad that he had his life ruined and taken away from him by a reckless person. RIP C.Hansen.

jimtranr 11-30-2017 01:25 AM

Deeply sorry about this.

ylee 11-30-2017 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forte 4A (Post 882817)
Sad news Charles Hansen passed away yesterday on 11/28/17.

Wow, I don't know what to say. Well I'll say this much. His QB-9 DAC gave me years of joy until this year. He was one of the best preamp/amp designers in the industry. Tragic loss for our hobby and industry.

Mahalo 11-30-2017 01:50 AM

RIP. Thank you.

Formerly YB-2 11-30-2017 03:51 AM

Had to have been tough since he was run over by the motorcycle. May he RIP.

SCAudiophile 11-30-2017 08:14 AM

Terrible and very sad news...prayers for his family and all at Ayre...

Jerome W 11-30-2017 05:11 PM

I am sorry to read this.
RIP.
Ayre is fabulous.

Biggar 12-01-2017 01:36 AM

Awfully sad news. I live his audio legacy and I loved his politics.

Karl Maga 12-01-2017 09:28 AM

RIP Charles. Ayre Acoustics is fine legacy.

Audiofan1 12-02-2017 07:16 AM

RIP Charles and thanks for sharing genius with us.

Garytn 12-02-2017 10:22 AM

This is so sad. He still had so much to give, but that bike crash was too severe. I am glad I have several of his components, and I hope the company continues to keep his legacy secure. RIP.

ctsooner 12-03-2017 08:41 PM

first time over here since he passed. So sorry about this. I was just talking to him like 10 days before this. So sad. He and Patel made GREAT speakers back in the day. Those Eclipse were wonderful instruments. I know that he had a bunch of stuff in the pipeline. Hope we get to see a bunch of it eventually. Genius.

will 12-04-2017 01:33 AM

Also posting for first time since his passing.

I got my rig up and running again in more than a month. New house and dedicated audio room now, and I dedicate my relaunch to Charley.

It was an interesting few hours in getting back up and running, actually. I had everything hooked up and there was no sound. I freaked out. I checked the connections and cabling a half-dozen times. Still no sound. CDs were playing, being read, though. Decided to take a shower, regroup, think straight.

Went back and discovered it was the C-5xeMP that became wonky, apparently from the month of shutdown. Thought the laser might have went kaput because of age, but that can't be because discs were playing. Tried SACD. Sound! Ok, so maybe there was an issue with redbook.

Then, I remembered Charley answered a post of mine on another forum like 10 years ago when I had a glitch with the player and taught me how to reset and reboot it. I saved that post, and it's on my computer to this day. Did the reset and eureka, there was CD sound. A big sigh of relief.

So even in passing, Charley continues to help me out! Rest in peace, Charley!

AudioGremlin 12-04-2017 07:06 AM

R.I.P Charles, thank you for your genius.

AudioGremlin 12-04-2017 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by will (Post 883854)
Also posting for first time since his passing.

I got my rig up and running again in more than a month. New house and dedicated audio room now, and I dedicate my relaunch to Charley.

It was an interesting few hours in getting back up and running, actually. I had everything hooked up and there was no sound. I freaked out. I checked the connections and cabling a half-dozen times. Still no sound. CDs were playing, being read, though. Decided to take a shower, regroup, think straight.

Went back and discovered it was the C-5xeMP that became wonky, apparently from the month of shutdown. Thought the laser might have went kaput because of age, but that can't be because discs were playing. Tried SACD. Sound! Ok, so maybe there was an issue with redbook.

Then, I remembered Charley answered a post of mine on another forum like 10 years ago when I had a glitch with the player and taught me how to reset and reboot it. I saved that post, and it's on my computer to this day. Did the reset and eureka, there was CD sound. A big sigh of relief.

So even in passing, Charley continues to help me out! Rest in peace, Charley!

Will, are you willing to share that 'reboot' procedure, never know what the future will hold.

will 12-04-2017 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioGremlin (Post 883870)
Will, are you willing to share that 'reboot' procedure, never know what the future will hold.

Of course. Unplug the power cord for around a minute and reinsert. Then, press the standby button and while keeping that pressed, press the Stop button. That will reset the unit to the Pioneer transport default, according to Charley. Then, on the remote, hit 5-4-3-2-1 sequentially. You should then see the left-side sampling rate lights on the front panel flash sequentially. That will reboot the player to the Ayre default settings.

warrior-kid 12-04-2017 11:00 AM

Very saddened by Charles having left us so early. Rest in Peace, Charles, your drive for excellence and perfection was such an inspiration to us all.

Cannot help but remember his personal comments here on my review of QB-9 DSD--not bragging about it, but what a nice man!

AudioGremlin 12-04-2017 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by will (Post 883886)
Of course. Unplug the power cord for around a minute and reinsert. Then, press the standby button and while keeping that pressed, press the Stop button. That will reset the unit to the Pioneer transport default, according to Charley. Then, on the remote, hit 5-4-3-2-1 sequentially. You should then see the left-side sampling rate lights on the front panel flash sequentially. That will reboot the player to the Ayre default settings.

Thank you will, extremely useful and very much appreciated.

dbphd 12-04-2017 03:31 PM

Thanks Will (and Charley). I copied the directions and emailed them to myself.

db

will 12-04-2017 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioGremlin (Post 883899)
Thank you will, extremely useful and very much appreciated.

Only fitting, since your handle is AudioGremlin. Definitely audio gremlins at work in my system yesterday, haha.

will 12-04-2017 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbphd (Post 883925)
Thanks Will (and Charley). I copied the directions and emailed them to myself.

db

No problem!

AudioGremlin 12-04-2017 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by will (Post 883948)
Only fitting, since your handle is AudioGremlin. Definitely audio gremlins at work in my system yesterday, haha.

The AudioGremlin is a wiley little critter, he especially loves ageing capacitors, low emission tubes and corroded junctions. Feeds off self-satisfaction waiting for his moment to strike. Otherwise he's quite a happy liitle chap..

will 12-05-2017 11:42 AM

Haha, I was pretty self-satisfied when he struck, as I stood there following initial hook-up and admiring the gear sitting on a newly acquired and installed rack. He is definitely one wiley critter. Pops up at the most inconvenient times.

jax4736 12-06-2017 12:29 AM

Obituary for Charles. It has some nice biographical details.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/nam...?pid=187405944