AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Martin Logan (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   New Subs in the house! (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=39343)

gadawg 05-09-2017 11:18 PM

New Subs in the house!

1 Attachment(s)
Over the past couple of months I've been trying to decide what new speakers to put into the new audio room in the new house. Well ... got moved in and realized that the bigger room could use some help ... Since a picture is worth 1000 words let me introduce you to my help ... pair of BalancedForce 212's. Initial round of room treatment on the way so once I get the room setup I'll follow up with my impressions. So far ... Not too shabby! :D

https://www.audioaficionado.org/atta...5&d=1494386150

Audioraven 05-10-2017 03:47 AM

I like it. Looks real good! :yes::music:

SCAudiophile 05-10-2017 05:23 AM

Great room and system!

paulphoosreal 05-10-2017 03:20 PM

Very nice system. This is just a thought. Bringing your subs forward to the speaker sides or even a bit forward of speakers would help time align bass with rest of system. Your speakers are very fast and IMHO would help "merge" the system to highest performance.

joey_v 05-10-2017 04:43 PM

Good lookin system George!!

gadawg 05-10-2017 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulphoosreal (Post 846237)
Very nice system. This is just a thought. Bringing your subs forward to the speaker sides or even a bit forward of speakers would help time align bass with rest of system. Your speakers are very fast and IMHO would help "merge" the system to highest performance.

I thought so as well ... However, as it turns out, my new room has some standing wave issues at present(GIK monster bass traps coming soon) and with the subs moved forward I get a fair amount of phase cancellation in the lower frequencies that makes the system almost unusable. So ... used the custom filter from Martin Logan that actually lets the sub mostly replace the woofer in the speakers ... at least below 120hz and turned the bass on the Ethos down as per the instructions and it sounds much better. Even with the PBK it couldn't correct for the room issues ... pushed back a bit sounds much better given the room issues. Once I get the GIK panels in place I may be able to get the standing wave issues resolved so that I can move the subs around more and get to a more optimal setup. Thanks for the suggestion!

gadawg 05-10-2017 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey_v (Post 846250)
Good lookin system George!!

Thanks kind sir!!! Congrats again on your new acquisition!

paulphoosreal 05-10-2017 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gadawg (Post 846298)
I thought so as well ... However, as it turns out, my new room has some standing wave issues at present(GIK monster bass traps coming soon) and with the subs moved forward I get a fair amount of phase cancellation in the lower frequencies that makes the system almost unusable. So ... used the custom filter from Martin Logan that actually lets the sub mostly replace the woofer in the speakers ... at least below 120hz and turned the bass on the Ethos down as per the instructions and it sounds much better. Even with the PBK it couldn't correct for the room issues ... pushed back a bit sounds much better given the room issues. Once I get the GIK panels in place I may be able to get the standing wave issues resolved so that I can move the subs around more and get to a more optimal setup. Thanks for the suggestion!

You are more than welcome and you have a terrific system. This forum allows us to interject personal thoughts to try and help one another. Good luck with GIK panels. I know how difficult it is to deal with less than ideal rooms through my work as a CEDIA installer. Those panels should help and hopefully you will get the bass you're looking for.

Timobi 05-11-2017 12:37 PM

Very nice!...looking good.

joey_v 05-12-2017 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gadawg (Post 846298)

What's your standing wave frequency? My guess is it lies in the 30hz area.

I wonder if Soffits are what you need brother.

Monster stop at approx 50hz.