AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Mark Levinson (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Mark Levinson 432 Amplifier on the Way (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=15917)

kfr01 09-08-2012 10:27 AM

Mark Levinson 432 Amplifier on the Way

Since purchasing my Vandersteen 5As, I've been contemplating a move away from my integrated amplifier.

This move has been complicated by the fact that my wife loves the look of the MA6600 and I'm also rather enamored with the integrated amplifier. Therefore, I made the decision to keep the MA6600 and move it to the living room (where my wife spends most of her down time) and out of my two-channel cave. This also means that I don't get the benefit of the sale of the MA6600. Sub $5k was the budget for this experiment.

While I've briefly considered tubes, tubes just seem incompatible with the way I currently use my system: I want quick warm-up and I don't want to feel guilty if I fall asleep listening to music.

Mark Levinson has intrigued me and I've decided to give a used Mark Levinson 432 a try. There are a few things I really like about this particular model.
- truly balanced design
- true 'dual mono' design (two massive transformers, one for each channel)
- more power (for more headroom)
- no input buffer
- no autoformer
- a standby mode which keeps the amplifier warm
- extensive protection features (I do not want to risk harming my beloved 5As)

A number of these things I like might not make the amplifier any better than the MA6600, but they do make it different and will be interesting to me on my audio journey.

I will first be trying the ML432 driven directly from the Wadia 121 DAC being used as the preamplifier. I've been interested in trying the Wadia's famous digital volume control, and this will give me an opportunity to try directly driving a beast of an amplifier.

Mike from Audio Classics told me that my ML432 has a very clean front panel, has been fully tested, and is currently benching beyond manufacturer spec.

Stereophile's measurements of the ML432's smaller brother, the 200wpc 431, exhibited textbook performance and some of the lowest distortion levels I've seen from sub $10k amplifiers in that publication.

Needless to say, I'm pretty excited about this next experiment on my audio journey. I'm also considering upgrading some of my cables in honor of the new arrival (should be late next week or early next). Wireworld XLR's and a new Wireworld PC are on my mind! Any other brands that I should be considering for good synergy between Wadia/Levinson?

Cheers

Some stock pics:

http://marklevinson.com/images/prodp...4_432OH_lo.jpg

http://marklevinson.com/images/prodp...8986_432FP.jpg

http://marklevinson.com/images/prodp...3_432PR_lo.jpg

Masterlu 09-08-2012 10:39 AM

Karl... Congrad's, I have always had a soft spot for ML Gear. Looking forward to your impressions and pics.

Still-One 09-08-2012 10:44 AM

Karl
I agree with Ivan, when I purchased my first McIntosh piece it was a decision between ML gear and McIntosh. It is nice sounding gear.
Jim

jfray 09-08-2012 10:45 AM

Karl,

I am glad you did not sell the 6600!! :D It is my favorite Integrated amp. Please take pictures and post your impressions!

cmalak 09-08-2012 10:48 AM

Karl...congrats on the ML amp. I hope it turns out to be a great match with the Wadia and the Vandies :thumbsup:

tweet 09-08-2012 11:52 AM

Karl,

Congrats on the Mark Levinson amp! You'll be glad you kept the MA6600. Her beauty is everlasting! :)

I had every intention of purchasing a ML amp a few years ago, but my dealer offered me a deal on some Lexicon equipment that at the time was just too good to pass up. The Lexicon's are long gone, but I still have a soft spot for the ML look and sound. I hope you enjoy it! Keep us posted! :thumbsup:

Terry

kfr01 09-08-2012 11:58 AM

Josh and Terry: I don't expect that I will ever sell the McIntosh MA6600. It is a beautiful integrated amplifier with great sound and a classic user interface.

kfr01 09-08-2012 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmalak (Post 361011)
Karl...congrats on the ML amp. I hope it turns out to be a great match with the Wadia and the Vandies :thumbsup:

Cyril: I value your analytical point of view and almost PM'd you before making the decision on this. Do you predict it will be a good match?

djwhog 09-08-2012 12:08 PM

Congrats Karl great choice, smooth clean power nice amp!

Sure going to wake up those speakers a bunch :)

kfr01 09-08-2012 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djwhog (Post 361034)
Congrats Karl great choice, smooth clean power nice amp!

Sure going to wake up those speakers a bunch :)

That's the plan! :-)

joeinid 09-08-2012 12:34 PM

Congratulations Karl,

I can't wait to get your feedback and opinion on the 432 amp.

Does anyone know how the 532H compares to or differs from the 432? They both get stellar reviews.

Enjoy!

jdandy 09-08-2012 12:44 PM

Karl.......Congratulations. I fully expect you to be completely satisfied with the Mark Levinson dual mono 432. Very nice upgrade.

Now it's time to begin the search for a clean Mark Levinson No.38S preamplifier to complete the package.

http://www.stereophile.com/images/ar...rt/ml39pre.jpg

kfr01 09-08-2012 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeinid (Post 361046)
Congratulations Karl,

I can't wait to get your feedback and opinion on the 432 amp.

Does anyone know how the 532H compares to or differs from the 432? They both get stellar reviews.

Enjoy!

Joe:

The 532H gets stellar reviews, but seems to have been built as more of a modular home theater style amplifier. I'm sure it is a fantastic amplifier for its intended purpose, and its measurements are fantastic (they best many high end audiophile amplifiers), but consider the difference between the interiors (pics below). It is probably totally irrational for me to select an amplifier based in-part on the look of its interior, but I am drawn to the 432!

532H:
http://www.stereophile.com/images/811levin.bac.jpg

432:
http://marklevinson.com/images/prodp...4_432OH_lo.jpg

kfr01 09-08-2012 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 361052)
Karl.......Congratulations. I fully expect you to be completely satisfied with the Mark Levinson dual mono 432. Very nice upgrade.

Now it's time to begin the search for a clean Mark Levinson No.38S preamplifier to complete the package.

Dan: I'd by lying if I said I haven't also been doing quite a bit of reading about ML preamplifiers (which seem to be some real gems!).

joeinid 09-08-2012 01:05 PM

Thanks Karl.

kfr01 09-08-2012 01:06 PM

Joe: If I had the cash, it would be for the new 532 (without the H), but it retails for $22k.

http://www.marklevinson.com/images/p...nterior_lo.jpg

joeinid 09-08-2012 01:12 PM

The 532 does look nice, but I am sure you will LOVE the 432. Good luck!

jdandy 09-08-2012 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kfr01 (Post 361067)
Dan: I'd by lying if I said I haven't also been doing quite a bit of reading about ML preamplifiers (which seem to be some real gems!).

Karl.......I knew it! :D

kfr01 09-08-2012 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 361079)
Karl.......I knew it! :D

This really is a great hobby. I love the music, but I also love the equipment research and hunt. :-)

joeinid 09-08-2012 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kfr01 (Post 361084)
This really is a great hobby. I love the music, but I also love the equipment research and hunt. :-)

+1

It's a blast. I enjoy it way too much myself. :thumbsup:

cmalak 09-08-2012 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kfr01

Cyril: I value your analytical point of view and almost PM'd you before making the decision on this. Do you predict it will be a good match?

Karl...unfortunately I have not heard Vandersteen speakers or ML amplification (let alone the 5A or the 432) to even speculate on how the "house" sounds might even match up (to my ears). Purely on the numbers, the 432 looks like a super amp so there is no reason why the pairing should not work from a technical match as far as I am concerned. Here's hoping the pairing blows your socks off and I am betting like Dan that it will :thumbsup:

Jerome W 09-08-2012 02:04 PM

Karl....
Congrats !
That is a beautiful amp and I'm sure that it must sound terrific.
Keep us posted when you'll get it !

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado

Ritmo 09-08-2012 02:38 PM

Congrats Karl! I'm sure it's going to sound fantastic. :music:

Mike

cmalak 09-08-2012 10:31 PM

Karl...when is the ML 432 going to get there?

jdandy 09-08-2012 11:00 PM

Karl.......Do not worry. 400 watts per channel of Mark Levinson power will bring ANY speaker to life. I believe you are in good shape.

kfr01 09-09-2012 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmalak
Karl...when is the ML 432 going to get there?

It is shipping on Monday on a skid. I suspect that means end of next week for the delivery. (My first hi-fi order that will arrive on a skid)

kfr01 09-09-2012 11:51 AM

Update: Courtesy of MasterLu, a pair of Wireworld Silver Eclipse XLRs and a Wireworld Silver Electra PC will be joining the welcome party for the Mark Levinson 432.

I figure I might as well hook the amp up from the start with some special cables.

Pretty excited about the whole thing. :-)

jdandy 09-09-2012 01:15 PM

Karl.......We're all excited about this, too. Looking forward to some photos and a review.

lakesailor 09-10-2012 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 361052)

I agree - adding the 38S will truly be a match made in heaven. It is a fairly different sound from the Mac. but based on my own experiences I think you will not be dissapointed with your choice.

tunes 09-11-2012 12:22 AM

Karl,
I have used the 432 for many years. It is a reliable workhorse amp. I've used it with PSB, Wilson Benesch, and Sonus Faber all with good results, especially the WBenesch. When the skid arrives, make sure you have another person to help lift it into place. I have moved this amp only 3-4 times and the shipping boxes are round now! The 432 really needs a sturdier shipping method.
Hope you enjoy it. It's very well designed.
Chris

MDP 09-11-2012 08:00 AM

Congrats Karl,
When I auditioned my Salon 2's, it was with Mark Levinson amps, they sounded wonderful !
I think they will be a great match with your Vandys.

Mark

kfr01 09-14-2012 06:20 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Some blurry iphone pics.

Masterlu 09-14-2012 06:23 PM

Karl... Awesome! Congrad's

http://www.audioaficionado.org/attac...-913229657.jpg

joeinid 09-14-2012 06:23 PM

Congratulations Karl,

I bet that baby sounds great. Let us know!

tweet 09-14-2012 06:47 PM

Congratulations, Karl! It looks fantastic! :thumbsup:

Terry

kfr01 09-14-2012 06:54 PM

Thanks guys.

I am loving the Mark Levinson 432 so far. The sound is very different than the McIntosh MA6600 integrated amplifier.

I am not sure how much of this to attribute to directly driving the ML432 via the Wadia DAC or the very low noise floor provided by the Levinson, but the presentation has clearly moved closer to the stage.

The sound is -not- as fluid or round and there is a sense of less bass. The trade-off is that there's a greater speed, immediacy, and clarity between instruments --- resulting in the "moving closer to the stage" feel. I think the sense of less bass can be attributed to the tighter grip of the Levinson in the midbass.

What this all seems to mean for me and how I listen to music is this:

For good recordings -- the Mark Levinson, driven directly by the Wadia DAC and powering the very revealing Vandersteen 5As is bringing my listening to new heights.

For recordings that aren't great (e.g., both Adele CDs are a good example), yet more of the flaws are revealed. The flaws, along with the separate instruments, are clearer, more immediate, and more distinct. There are no free lunches at my budget, so I -have- lost some of that McIntosh fluidity that might help smooth some flaws.

I have made a conscious decision to move my system in this direction given that I love the hunt for great recordings, particularly great classical recordings, that can simulate the live experience at reference levels in my room. I think the Mark Levinson 432 paired with my Vandersteen 5As successfully further this goal. At this point on my audio journey, I am thrilled.

I like the sound of the Wadia 121, but the user interface and remote are horrible. This spring's upgrade will be a new DAC that has a good volume control remote and a display that shows volume level more clearly.

jdandy 09-14-2012 07:35 PM

Karl.......The Mark Levinson amplifier looks great. Congratulations. :thumbsup:

chessman 09-14-2012 11:14 PM

Karl, BIG congrats!!

cmalak 09-14-2012 11:16 PM

Karl...congrats on the 432 :thumbsup:. I would make one suggestion and that is to audition a preamp in the chain (whether a partnering ML preamp or a tube pre from Lamm, CJ, McIntosh, etc...) and compare it to the Wadia direct into the 432. My guess is you will regain some of that ease/fluidity you were experiencing with the MC6600. Just a guess on my part but if you have an opportunity to audition a suitable preamp in the chain, you may be pleasantly surprised with the outcome.

kfr01 09-15-2012 08:38 AM

Cyril:

Good idea. As I consider upgrades from the Wadia, one of the options considered will be a separate DAC paired with a good preamplifier.

The Ayre QB-9 plus the Ayre K5xeMP is one combination that I would love to try.

This said, and you may think I am a bit of an odd duck for thinking this way, but my intellectual interest right now is actually in continuing down the path of hyper-revealing DAC-direct-to-amplifier combinations. In other words, I am interested in seeing how far I can push the unbridled detail and clarity for excellent recordings.

I will wait to see what new DACs are released at the next CES while I save for my next upgrade, but the Berkeley Alpha DAC and the Weiss DAC202 are near the top of my list. Stereophile's measurements on the Weiss DAC202 are nearly as good as I've seen from a DAC at any price. I suspect the DAC202 would be a further step toward hyper clarity... and I'd be thrilled with that.

Below is what I am listening to this morning. It is music that I have seen performed live from the front row... and it is music that demands instrumental separation and clarity. The Wadia direct-to Levinson combination is providing me with an improved window into what the live show was like from the front row, and I want to continue pushing the envelope in this direction! :-)

Plus, one huge advantage of keeping the MA6600 and pairing it with my turntable is that when I want that analog and more relaxed feel, I just have to go into the other room.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...9L._SS500_.jpg