AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Video (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Acoustical Transparent Screen (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=21512)

netroamer 06-07-2013 01:58 PM

Acoustical Transparent Screen

I am considering selling my two year old Sim2 Mico 60c and moving on to the Sony VPL-VW1000ES 4k projector. To take full advantage of the 4k resolution I would be replacing my current 100" Studiotek 130 screen with a microperf x2 150" drop-down Stewart screen at a viewing distance of 18.5'. The layout of the room requires that the screen drop in front of the LCR and Sub for video.

As I want to keep the front speakers for both 2-channel (Screen Up) and Theater (Screen Down) I am trying to understand how much effect the screen will have on the audio frequencies and if I will need to equalize for theater and bypass the equalization for 2-channel. My research into RP in my McIntosh MX150 indicates that it is iffy that the RP will do the job entirely.

I would sure like to hear about the experience of those who installed the perf screen.

Masterlu 06-07-2013 02:04 PM

John... A micro perf screen even from Stewart would be a Huge mistake. I didn't listen to my Video Tech and got one, 3 months and $10k later I replaced it. :sigh:

netroamer 06-07-2013 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 499931)
John... A micro perf screen even from Stewart would be a Huge mistake. I didn't listen to my Video Tech and got one, 3 months and $10k later I replaced it. :sigh:

Thanks Ivan...What wentwrong?

Masterlu 06-07-2013 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by netroamer (Post 499938)
Thanks Ivan...What wentwrong?

In a nutshell, it kills the great picture that the source & projector are capable of. If I didn't see it with my own eyes, I wouldn't have believed it. Everything from color, contrast, detail, etc :icon_thumbsdown:

MasterLuJr 06-07-2013 02:25 PM

I would never do it unless there was absolutely no other way. You lose so much picture quality. The difference between a microperf & non microperf screen is really night and day in terms of picture quality.

netroamer 06-07-2013 03:03 PM

Well there would be no plan "B" as the largest screen that would fit between the L/R and drop above the C and Subs would be 106". Not large enough to fully exploit the 4k projector resolution and a waste of money.

Sony sent over a 4k a few months ago and there was a slight perceived improvement, dependent on source material, but it definitely needed a larger screen for full appreciation of the resolution.

Uberbrown 06-07-2013 05:26 PM

I would not go with a microperf screen either. I have seen a MICO 150 and a DPI project onto one at my dealer. The perforations were clearly there from the viewing position. There was also an effect on motion, if I recall.

Masterlu 06-07-2013 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uberbrown (Post 499996)
I would not go with a microperf screen either. I have seen a MICO 150 and a DPI project onto one at my dealer. The perforations were clearly there from the viewing position. There was also an effect on motion, if I recall.

It also hurts the audio, but not nearly as much as the video.

netroamer 06-07-2013 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 499999)

It also hurts the audio, but not nearly as much as the video.

Ivan, Was the screen a Stewart? Also, I am interested if you had your projector calibrated to the new screen? Frankly,I was focused on the audio issues assuming that there would be a loss in brightness that I would need to adjust, but I never thought it would be as bad as you have indicated. Thanks

netroamer 06-07-2013 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uberbrown (Post 499996)

was the motion issue jumpy or a moire? I have heard reports of moire.